Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 04:55 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
In fact, folks with dark skin pigment have a lot of opportunities school wise and financial aid wise that I, nor my kids, could never have had...

Quote:
How about something very simple. Literally yesterday I was talking to an old coworker. We were talking about school. He told me that his son was relieved to find out that he got some extra money for his school for checking off something that said that he is puerto rican. Now why would he lie to me about something like that?

I've never seen that for "whites like me"...
'dark skin folks' have A LOT of financial aid opportunities, and the best example you can come up is hearsay ?

Old 12-05-2012, 05:04 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,219,078 times
I said "folks with darker skin pigments" (worded it like that to show how ridiculous it is). And I did not emphasize "a lot" with capital letters as you quote me as. Please don't try and change up my words and tone.

My examples (I posted another one) are about life experiences. Do you honestly not realize that this exists?

Old 12-05-2012, 05:04 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,934,347 times
Quote:

I've never seen that for "whites like me"...
I thought I should point out, most of the other aid is for "whites like" you. It is packaged for and directed toward people who have a number of assumptions and experiences in common.

I don't think people fully realize how difficult it is for some of the very low income children to accomplish anything given the lifestyles that are forced on them.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I thought I should point out, most of the other aid is for "whites like" you. It is packaged for and directed toward people who have a number of assumptions and experiences in common.

I don't think people fully realize how difficult it is for some of the very low income children to accomplish anything given the lifestyles that are forced on them.

I have never seen any financial aid packaged for whites because they are white, as there is with others. What financial aid is packaged for whites that is only available to whites and nobody else? I will gracefully concede if there is...

Old 12-05-2012, 05:13 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,662 times
Quote:
I said "folks with darker skin pigments" (worded it like that to show how ridiculous it is). And I did not emphasize "a lot" with capital letters as you quote me as. Please don't try and change up my words and tone.

My examples (I posted another one) are about life experiences. Do you honestly not realize that this exists?
I didn't change a thing. That's why I quoted you. But since you said 'a lot' I would've assume that you would have A LOT of good examples (ideally with sources) to support your claim.
Unfortunately, you don't.
All you got is what somebody told you and what you read on a forum.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Well that is why I said what I said a few posts back regarding how AA should be based on income...

Quote:
I will never have a problem with this kind of affirmative action, when it comes to school. I have always maintained that that is how it should be these days.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I didn't change a thing. That's why I quoted you. But since you said 'a lot' I would've assume that you would have A LOT of good examples (ideally with sources) to support your claim.
Unfortunately, you don't.
All you got is what somebody told you and what you read on a forum.

Lol ok man, keep on keepin on. None of this exists, you're right...

Old 12-05-2012, 05:44 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,934,347 times
Quote:
I have never seen any financial aid packaged for whites because they are white, as there is with others. What financial aid is packaged for whites that is only available to whites and nobody else? I will gracefully concede if there is...
It's hard to explain. One might say that the financial aid packages go to people who speak the king's English and have his demeanor down, and there, white Americans outnumber others.

One aspect. Getting funding for school depends a lot on your family, how they present themselves. This isn't about "racism" or even classicism as people consider it - not exactly. We would all love to help that truly down-and-out child, but the reality is less straightforward. People evaluate the possibility that a given child will succeed in a given program. If the parents or parent are clearly a problem, the child probably won't succeed, and it is best to then put funds and energy toward a child who will more likely succeed. Many of the low-income parents I work with - the Americans, that is - devastate their children in this way most of all. It's all they know and they refuse to do better. This is where the focus on race complicates things, because black middle-class students are getting funding. It's really the low-income black and hispanic children who are at a disadvantage.

Time and again I have observed that with tutoring programs, for example, the children who do show up will succeed anyway - their parents got them there. The programs do not reach that child who is growing into the next shooter on the streets of Harlem - paradoxically, the one we would very much like to reach.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,583,449 times
Default Simple, do the math

Motions,

Most can agree that those minority fathers need to be raising their kids better but the question is why aren't more doing so? Because in the Black community there are no cultural expectations of males/men to be good father who raise their kids. Good Black fathers exist but they are a minority within a minority. There is just no preparation going on in most of these families for males to become fathers who will raise their children. You plant tomato seeds and you get tomatoes. You plant apple seeds, you get apples. What's planted is males during their formative childhood years shows in who they grow up to be. No excuses! Many mothers of sons excuse their son from taking care of the children he's sired regardless of how old he is. They will take over the responsibility themselves in order to keep the pressure off their sons who most likely doesn't work or he is involved in something illegal. He may even still live at home with mama regardless of age. That's if he's not living with, I mean living OFF of, some single-mother girlfriend of the month. He doesn't work on a legal job not because he can't find a job but because he has very "high standards" about what type of job he will accept and it has to have a high salary for him. Even though he lacks a higher education and can't speak a straight sentence without slang or profanity. BTW, most of the grandmothers were single mother themselves. It's a horrible cycle.

I think there is a good deal of merit to the view held by sociologist William Julius Wilson. He says that the black family breakdown is rooted in the high unemployment of black males that goes back decades it seems. Unemployed and under-employed men aren't going to be in the best position to get married and raise stable families. Fuller employment is needed for black men. Fuller employment? Very few Americans start out on high paying job of their dreams. Many of us start out in high school working at a low paying fastfood job or grocery store with terrible hours. However, the males you're referring wasn't raised to think this way. Because of past oppression, because of racism, because their mother and father didn't think marriage and commitment to family was important, the children from illegimate sexual unions (yes I said it) are raised to feel that they're ENTITLED. The males moreso than the females. The males EXPECT a dang near six figure salary for not putting their best foot forward, being woeful unprepared to work long hard hours, resistance to gaining the education to specialize in the job, and only being able to speaking ebonics and slang in addition to cursing every other word.

The decline in U.S manufacturing has especially hurt black male employment. The decline in married Black parents have especially hurt Black male employment. The decline in high expectations being set by Black families has especially hurt Black male employment.

I'll add that Black-Americans really need to put a bigger emphasis on business ownership to create more of these jobs for themselves. If a person can't be a good employee, they'll never make it as a business owner. That's a pipe dream! Owning a business is not a cake walk. It's hard, hard work, long hours, takes a big sacrifice of personal time, and time away from family and pleasure, and you won't see a profit for some time, could be years. Do you really think these males who won't even take care of their kids will put hard work and sacrifice into a starting and sustaining a business? Really? On top of that, they would need to taking course, not just a single class, but courses in PROFESSIONALISM. Professionalism such as: use your speaking voice indoors please! DO NOT speak about personal matters or sex acts at work. DO NOT allow your lust of the female customers or coworkers to reflect in how you do your job (leering, public butt-watching, making explicit comments). Try to put on a pleasant look instead of a scowl so customers will feel welcomed. Greet customers as soon as they approach you instead of looking at them as if they're a bother. Speak English, not Ebonics and please stop cursing in a public venue.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:24 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,372,166 times
^

What I said overall seems to be acknowledged by many who study these issues.

Quote:
According to Professor Barbara Carter, Ph.D., at Spelman College, economically unstable Black men are less likely to enter into formal marriages and create stable families.

“Many Black women simply don’t assume that Black men will be able to support them (even if that is still their ideal), and families often socialize their girls to expect to be economically independent.

Other women choose to raise their children alone rather than have an official/legal marriage with an economically unstable man,” noted Carter, who is in the Anthropology and Sociology Department at Spelman.

Psychology of Black unemployment | Our Weekly - African American News | Black News | Black Entertainment | Black America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City