Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 11:43 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,372,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Easily said but how do you do this. The low % of black owned businesses isnt for lack of trying. There is a high failure rate among these businesses for any number of reasons. The most important being that it is harder to successfully build a business if some one comes from a culture where there has not been a high degree of risk taking or mobilization of capital.
Raising capital is one of the biggest hurdles for starting and expanding black businesses. One solution is for more black-Americans to learn and use the Susu loan approach that's popular with caribbean blacks.

Franchise Profile - Jamaican Entrepreneurs | Entrepreneur.com

If blacks are to get black unemployment down black businesses will have to play a larger role in that. Every group provides employment for themsleves. I'am big on black-Americans learning somethings from Chinatown as far as handling money.

With a TRILLION dollars in black spending power what if more blacks applied lesson 2 on this link to our communities?

3 Lessons the Black Community Can Learn from Chinatown | Shorty: Your Chicago South Side Resource

Old 12-07-2012, 06:14 PM

124 posts, read 186,416 times
Default Parents Reading to Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It sounds overly simple, but there's a lot of truth to this. I remember reading that a kindergarten teacher can tell right away which children have been read to and which have not.

I personally think that not reading to your kid is quite possibly one of the worst parental-failure things you can do, after outright abuse and neglect. It can set the stage for their whole lives.
I was a fortunate exception. My parents did abuse and neglect me in every way but sexually. Despite the fact that my father was an English professor, it was very seldom that either parent would be read.

At two or three, I more or less taught myself to read, more or less out of self-preservation against boredom. My mother loved to tell the story of how I would sit at the kitchen table hitting random keys on my dad's typewriter. One day, she was moving the typewriter so that she could set the table, and she saw that I had typed actual words: "SECOND ST", "GULF," and "STOP," words that I had seen around town.

My mother loved to tell that story as proof of how bright a child I was, but it wasn't until I became a parent that I realized that it was abusive that neither parent spent much time reading to me.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:59 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,934,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

The decline of marriage among blacks occurred when employment among poorly educated black men declined. When black men stopped bringing home LEGAL cash, mnay black women so no use for them to bring them a ring. Given that we have now had about 3 generations of this, sadly it has now become "culture" and people have forgotten that prior to 1960 most black American households included married couples.

And we see the same phenomenon occurring among PRicans when the garment jobs began to disappear and labor force participation declined.
This is absolutely the case.
And now ... this culture has made some unemployable, basically, unless they make changes themselves. While lacking the tools to do so, given the history.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:03 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,934,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
As a relatively young African American I completely agree. It really boils down to a change of culture and self-responsibility. Period.
That's because it's the only option. Have you tried to convince those who need such of that lately.

There are actually people (in Harlem) who believe that there will be some sort of armed uprising, violence, etc. And there may be. But this would be unsuccessful and put down immediately and harshly.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:32 PM

287 posts, read 593,943 times
Bump for fun

Old 12-10-2012, 06:39 AM

681 posts, read 1,672,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Raising capital is one of the biggest hurdles for starting and expanding black businesses. One solution is for more black-Americans to learn and use the Susu loan approach that's popular with caribbean blacks.

Franchise Profile - Jamaican Entrepreneurs | Entrepreneur.com

If blacks are to get black unemployment down black businesses will have to play a larger role in that. Every group provides employment for themsleves. I'am big on black-Americans learning somethings from Chinatown as far as handling money.

With a TRILLION dollars in black spending power what if more blacks applied lesson 2 on this link to our communities?

3 Lessons the Black Community Can Learn from Chinatown | Shorty: Your Chicago South Side Resource

The Jewish community is also a good example to follow. In all my years in NYC, I've never met a poor and destitute Jew....and if there is one, he won't be poor and destitute for long as his family members and community will pull him up. They take care of their community, patronize each others businesses, have people in high places in political offices, and high positions in well known corporations, and in media and entertainment. If anything I think the Jewish community is the #1 example to follow if you want your people to succeed in society...

Old 12-10-2012, 10:43 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
The Jewish community is also a good example to follow. In all my years in NYC, I've never met a poor and destitute Jew....and if there is one, he won't be poor and destitute for long as his family members and community will pull him up. They take care of their community, patronize each others businesses, have people in high places in political offices, and high positions in well known corporations, and in media and entertainment. If anything I think the Jewish community is the #1 example to follow if you want your people to succeed in society...
If you've never met a poor Jew, then you've clearly never been to Williamsburg because there are plenty of them there.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:13 AM

681 posts, read 1,672,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
If you've never met a poor Jew, then you've clearly never been to Williamsburg because there are plenty of them there.
You're absolutely right, I've never set foot in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. One day I plan to visit.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:14 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
You're absolutely right, I've never set foot in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. One day I plan to visit.
Then you can meet the Jews who have lots of children they cannot afford and live off Welfare. (YES, they do exist!)

Old 12-10-2012, 11:20 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Then you can meet the Jews who have lots of children they cannot afford and live off Welfare. (YES, they do exist!)
This.
And add to that boro park. Plenty of Hasidic jews living on FS and other kinds of government assistance.

Also I don't think it would be healthy to have more insular groups like them. We are already pretty segregated, the last thing a functional society needs is extreme self-segregation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City