Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,545,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
GREAT ! Could not agree more. This is actually the crux of things.

Now tell us how to do that without violating the terms of the constitution or enacting unethical legislation.

Welcome to Sage

So is pregnancy a cause or a symptom? Note that certain states with low minority populations, OK, WY.KY, also have above average teen pregnancies.

Note also that teen pregnancies among black girls has been declining, at least up to 5 years ago. Hispanic girls are now more likely to be pregnant.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:42 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
You will admit that a semi-literate Italian kid has more options than the equivalent black kid. He can go to to Uncle Joe's and find a job. It was not that long ago that the mafia acted as an employment agency for poorly educated Italian kids...and I do not mean working for them. I mean all those corrupt contracts or union jobs.

Again I do not excuse people who get in the way of their own progress. But neither do I pretend as if they have the same opportunities as others.

And BTW there are many poor white men who are inventing a conspiracy theory. The notion that their poverty is due to minorities, immigrants, women and now gays. This as automation and outsourcing has reduced their opportunities.
African Americans and other Anglo speaking persons are culturally individualistic due to Anglo culture compared to family oriented structured families like Italian, or Spanish, or French, or Middle Eastern, or Asian. Someone once told me their is not much difference between a typical Black American and a White American, both are from this land, both profess Protestantism, they love football and guns, the only difference is the color of their skin. Since the days since African Americans arrived on the shores of Virginia during the 17th century from slave depots in Barbados, Africans have been absorbed into Anglo culture for better or worse.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:58 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,934,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Welcome to Sage

So is pregnancy a cause or a symptom? Note that certain states with low minority populations, OK, WY.KY, also have above average teen pregnancies.

Note also that teen pregnancies among black girls has been declining, at least up to 5 years ago. Hispanic girls are now more likely to be pregnant.
The teen pregnancy thing is not necessarily related to race. It is closely related to social/economic class. There are studies proving that higher income levels, and presumably educational levels, mean starting families at later dates.

My own practical experience with low-income teenagers prompts me to ask, however, down from what ?
There remain many very young mothers in what is termed the "crisis" population. And single-mother families, women in their early 20s, usually already with another on the way, and no gainful employment.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:02 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,934,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
African Americans and other Anglo speaking persons are culturally individualistic due to Anglo culture compared to family oriented structured families like Italian, or Spanish, or French, or Middle Eastern, or Asian. Someone once told me their is not much difference between a typical Black American and a White American, both are from this land, both profess Protestantism, they love football and guns, the only difference is the color of their skin. Since the days since African Americans arrived on the shores of Virginia during the 17th century from slave depots in Barbados, Africans have been absorbed into Anglo culture for better or worse.
Why would this be wrong ?
I know the bodies of literature about it and I do not agree with most of it, self-serving posturing.
But I am interested in whether YOU think this is a problem. What would be wrong with it.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:37 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,372,166 times
Quote:
GREAT ! Could not agree more. This is actually the crux of things.

Now tell us how to do that without violating the terms of the constitution or enacting unethical legislation.
Comprehensive sex education combined with access to contraception for teens has been shown to be effective for reducing teen pregnancies.

As Teen Pregnancy Dropped, So Did Child Poverty (washingtonpost.com)

Old 12-05-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post

And yet using most measures African Americans resemble US based Puerto Ricans than any other group? Virtually the same problems, inclusive of high single female headed households.

Now who do you think a 4th generation NY PR resembles more? An AA in The Bronx, or a PR living on the island?

As to gun loving AAs. Hmmmm. One wouldnt think so based on the fear of crime in Puerto Rico.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
The teen pregnancy thing is not necessarily related to race. It is closely related to social/economic class. .

That is the main point of the study. It stated that the more isolated the person is from meaningful work (i.e. in recessions, and in impoverished communities...urban Detroit, or rural Kentucky) the greater the likelihood of teen pregnancies. The more ambitious the teen, and the more they percive opportunities, the less likely is the teen female going to allow herself to become pregnant. Also the more likely will parents perceive positive outcomes for their kids, and so do their best to prevent this.

One must often adjust for the differing social structures within different groups before comparisons can be made. This is why I resent sweeping statements made on this board by people like webster avenue, hilltop and others. The decry "blacks", and not a particular subset who have particular characteristics.

So it is often said that blacks are less likely to vote than are whites. Once one adjusts for social class the voting patterns are identical.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:16 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,409,669 times
do you think ignorance will ever be totally eliminated?
if not, what's the use trying to explain why there is so
much of it? nobody knows everything. people still have
to survive the best way they can.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Why would this be wrong ?
I know the bodies of literature about it and I do not agree with most of it, self-serving posturing.
But I am interested in whether YOU think this is a problem. What would be wrong with it.

What he choses to ignore is that the longer a group lives in a particular country the more closely they begin to absorb cultural norms. He also ignores the fact that much of what he considers "Anglo" American culture has been impacted by African Americans. One need only to listen to music from the southern Appalachians and then to music from Ireland. The banjo is an AFRICAN instrument, even though most often used by rural whites.

He is Guyanese of mainly East Indian ancestry. Again he need only compare the cultural behavior and values of many IndoCaribbeans with South Asians to understand that after 150 years within a Caribbean culture many IndoCaribbean people have absorbed aspects of the AfroEuro Creole cultures of Trinidad, Guyana, and elsewhere.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:

My own practical experience with low-income teenagers prompts me to ask, however, down from what ?

Given that welfare is harder to get and is less lucrative than it once was it is likely that teen mothers stop having after the first "mistake" when compared with twenty years ago when multiple pregnancies to a teen were more common. Teen mothers now are forced to seek employment, which interferes with multiple pregnancies. Also child support laws are more rigorously enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City