Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 09:19 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times

Advertisements

The South American Hispanics are probably cherry picked, like Indians for example. Something like 75% of Indians in the US are college educated, which is far beyond even the Asian population. Is this representative of an Indian culture which is intellectually superior, or representative of Indians as a whole? NOPE...but it does represent the cherry picking the US employs to get educated Indians to move here.

The same applies I think to South American Hispanics. That is not the case for central Americans as they can simply walkover, and have no need to apply legally, so anyone comes, and its most likely to be the least educated/skilled.

Another surprise was the low median income of Cubans. I thought their incomes would be significantly higher than $40K, which is only $4K higher than PRs (for example)..that tiny delta is surprising to me.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:35 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
What do you mean cherry picking? These are hard statistics.

South American Hispanics have more than double the graduation rates of Mexicans and Caribean hispanics, how is this cherry picking? There are clear regional differences in educational attainment among Hispanics.

Now if you were to isolate South Americans from Chile, Argentina and Uruguay their graduation rates would be even higher.
However, people from these 3 countries are a VERY tiny percentage of U.S. Hispanics so their numbers don't influence the average that much.

Last edited by likeminas; 12-04-2012 at 09:54 AM..

Old 12-04-2012, 09:41 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Most can agree that those minority fathers need to be raising their kids better but the question is why aren't more doing so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Because it is NOT a part of the culture.
I object to the designation "minority fathers," though. There is no necessary connection with race. White trash folk behave in identical ways, with the difference being that they lack that all-important race card that can magically explain their own failures.

I agree, except we are talking about this area. Not West Virginia. I have always agreed to this point when talking about this topic or one like it, despite what the race-baiters on here will whine about. Location matters when you're talking about, ya know, a specific location...

Old 12-04-2012, 09:47 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
ask a sociologist.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:52 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Does anyone have any insight on what's causing too many Black-American and Latino boys to not graduate?

NY Graduation Rates for Black, Hispanic Boys Lowest in Nation | NBC New York
The New York Times answered its own question in this article-

Class Matters. Why Won’t We Admit It?
The Unaddressed Link Between Poverty and Education.

For poor children, trying hard is not enough
Even children with proven academic ability fall behind if they grow up in families that are poor. By the age of 3, one study showed, poor children already have half the vocabulary of higher-income children. Another study showed that children in high-risk social and economic environments can start in the top 25% academically at the age of 4 but fall to the bottom by the time they are in high school.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Likeminas...I had a very clear example about what I meant by cherry-picking. It is about from which class of people is coming to the US, and not necessarily a cultural issue, or some sort of intellectual superiority of a particular group. The Indian example was quite clear about who the US is allowing to enter the country from India....which is why 75% of Indians have college degrees in the US. It is neither representative of an innate superiority or of India..the US is simply cherry picking a certain segment of Indians to come to the US...particularly well educated/IT, for example.

The same may be said for those particular South American groups..maybe the US is cherry picking who can come to the US? That is not the case for central americans as they can simply walk right over, bypassing the legal migration process, and thus the bottom classes are likely to be over-represented here. Does this make sense? I am not saying it is the answer, but a possible answer as to why Colombians ahave higher incomes and significantly higher college degrees than even the US as a whole.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:26 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
Sobro....I understand what you're saying. But how would you explain the low gratuation rates of say, Dominicans? They can't swim across the atlantic to make it here. They usually come by plane like most South Americans do.

You might have a point, but I'm not completly sold.
I think the differences in educational attainment might be a combination of factors.
If you were to measure the average schooling of South American countries and compare it to Central, and Caribean countries (except Cuba), you would still find that south american countries have a more educated population.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:39 AM

681 posts, read 1,671,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Sobro....I understand what you're saying. But how would you explain the low gratuation rates of say, Dominicans? They can't swim across the atlantic to make it here. They usually come by plane like most South Americans do.

You might have a point, but I'm not completly sold.
I think the differences in educational attainment might be a combination of factors.
If you were to measure the average schooling of South American countries and compare it to Central, and Caribean countries (except Cuba), you would still find that south american countries have a more educated population.
A Dominican once told me that one way they get in the US mainland is to first get to puerto Rico in whichever way possible then hop on a plane to the mainland USA. I've also heard of scams of using fake passports from deceased people and going to a designated insider at us customs and immigration at the airport. Once they get out to the curb someone meets then then takes the passport...and sends it back so the process can begin over again. The very same person told me that a lot of illegal mainland Chinese find their way into the USA by going thru Haiti......

I'm not sure how true this is, but it seems possible though.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:49 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
maybe once most of them keep failing and getting
left back, they lose all interest with education.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:52 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I remember reading that a kindergarten teacher can tell right away which children have been read to and which have not.
I say this is related to too many teen mothers and fathers who aren't mature enough to be aware of how important it is to read to kids. This is why I think one long term solution to all of this is to reduce teen pregnancies. If more people in low income areas waited until their 20's before having their first kid we will see more mature people having kids which will benefit the children in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City