Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 12:37 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,092,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
All young people make poor choices. It is a part of growing up in every culture and social class.

By "black and latino," I will assume that you mean LOW INCOME black and latino boys. There are plenty of black and latino boys from other social groups who do quite well.

The challenge for those young people - no guidance, and/or poor guidance. Period.
I would say low to middle class black and latino boys. I know a lot of middle class kids that didn't graduate since they decided that skool was not for them and did the street life gig.

Those who don't graduate only have themselves to blame. They decided not to invest their time in education but in other activities. They don't value education but value professional sports, the whole rap/hip hop industry, or illegal activities.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:50 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,934,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
I would say low to middle class black and latino boys. I know a lot of middle class kids that didn't graduate since they decided that skool was not for them and did the street life gig.

Those who don't graduate only have themselves to blame. They decided not to invest their time in education but in other activities. They don't value education but value professional sports, the whole rap/hip hop industry, or illegal activities.
Well, people may want to do different things - and with the exception of illegal activities, that's fine.
A problem arises when one group or another has so few choices that they only opt for certain things. The wasted minds alone are a great detriment to us as a society.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:10 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,092,718 times
Quote:
Well, people may want to do different things - and with the exception of illegal activities, that's fine.
A problem arises when one group or another has so few choices that they only opt for certain things. The wasted minds alone are a great detriment to us as a society.
IMO, that's the problem. A good majority of black and latinos kids only see themselves as a professional player, a hip/hop artist, or take the path of thug. A lot of kids shoot themselves in the foot by embracing the whole thug/hip hop culture. This culture does not value education.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
IMO, that's the problem. A good majority of black and latinos kids only see themselves as a professional player, a hip/hop artist, or take the path of thug. A lot of kids shoot themselves in the foot by embracing the whole thug/hip hop culture. This culture does not value education.
Yes, and it is THE PARENTS and the surrounding culture that can impact this conviction.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:51 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,778,165 times
Quote:
Do enlighten everyone. What IS required to educate "young men of color" ? And who are these phantom group members. Do we group them just by skin color or do we break this down into shades or what.

Accountability to be avoided at all costs. How does this persist.

The biggest educator direction problem right now - few of the better and more qualified teachers will work in low income areas. Guess why.

A better suggestion to everyone: Read Canada and understand his project. Like me, he has experience in two key areas ...
Paul Tough also wrote a very insightful book on Canada's big project in Harlem, so perhaps we aren't as far apart on how we think about all this. Bit the point is that HCZ is expensive, the jury is not in yet all th way, and if it proves to be the real thing, will we pay to replicate it? Canada does have parenting programs but is specific in pedagogy too. As I've said many times before, e eryone has a part to play. It won't work just to blame parents.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Paul Tough also wrote a very insightful book on Canada's big project in Harlem, so perhaps we aren't as far apart on how we think about all this. Bit the point is that HCZ is expensive, the jury is not in yet all th way, and if it proves to be the real thing, will we pay to replicate it? Canada does have parenting programs but is specific in pedagogy too. As I've said many times before, e eryone has a part to play. It won't work just to blame parents.
It doesn't work to blame anyone, or to constantly talk about history and Our Oppression and so on. Such discussions have a venue that should be kept separate from "what to do" because they waste time better spent on finding practical solutions. There is such an emergency for so many young people living in poverty.

Canada's treatment of the entire family is key. I actually think we should focus on parents and parenting over the children, and focus on the teenagers and young people to prevent them from having any children before they are emotionally and financially ready.

In our current environment, most schools will worsen along with many other things. Parents will need to become more responsible, more involved, and more like role models for their children than they are. It's not that they should because they are entirely at fault - they should because they will need to. Imperative.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:26 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times
Ethnic culture and home culture. I keep noticing that when newspapers have pictures of ordinary homes of black and latino families, there are never any books. My parents' house was full of books. They read to me when I was little, bought me books as presents when I was older. They kept asked about my schoolwork, tabs on my homework, and expected reasonably good grades.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:28 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
This topic goes back to my original thread about Segregation and Education in NYC. The problems with the youths especially African American ones come stems from broken family homes as well as quality of living of these families. You see some of these single mothers who work long hours but are never home or rarely home to take care of their kids, before you know it 16 year old Tyquan is in jail and 15 year old Shanee has a baby in her stomach and is on her way to Plan Parenthood to pull it out. It all boils down to environment. If I was African American and also a woman and a single mother I would really consider high tailing it out of NYC for good to find a better job, schooling for your kids and better housing options seriously, most likely head back to ancestral lands of the South. If the city wants to try they should pump in more tax dollars into inner city neighborhood schools especially the ones in uptown Manhattan, most of the Bronx, and Central Brooklyn to help these guys out. Bloomberg initiative to help young male minority youths along with his buddy George Soros is too late and the damage has been done and I wish these guys luck if they can get their criminal records expunged which is preventing them from obtaining employment. Lets see if my fellow Millennial Gen Y Transplants moving into places like Washington Heights, Bushwick, Bedstuy, Harlem, Mott Haven, Red Hook, LES, Crown Heights, lets see if they are going to have kids and if so send little snowflake to a neighborhood poor neighborhood public school!

Old 12-02-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This topic goes back to my original thread about Segregation and Education in NYC. The problems with the youths especially African American ones come stems from broken family homes as well as quality of living of these families. You see some of these single mothers who work long hours but are never home or rarely home to take care of their kids, before you know it 16 year old Tyquan is in jail and 15 year old Shanee has a baby in her stomach and is on her way to Plan Parenthood to pull it out. It all boils down to environment. If I was African American and also a woman and a single mother I would really consider high tailing it out of NYC for good to find a better job, schooling for your kids and better housing options seriously, most likely head back to ancestral lands of the South. If the city wants to try they should pump in more tax dollars into inner city neighborhood schools especially the ones in uptown Manhattan, most of the Bronx, and Central Brooklyn to help these guys out. Bloomberg initiative to help young male minority youths along with his buddy George Soros is too late and the damage has been done and I wish these guys luck if they can get their criminal records expunged which is preventing them from obtaining employment. Lets see if my fellow Millennial Gen Y Transplants moving into places like Washington Heights, Bushwick, Bedstuy, Harlem, Mott Haven, Red Hook, LES, Crown Heights, lets see if they are going to have kids and if so send little snowflake to a neighborhood poor neighborhood public school!
I don't disagree, but Tyquan and Shanee themselves are not some natural occurrence that just "happened." Sure, spouses die or leave, but many of these single-mother households are not the result of either - exactly. The statistics on single-mother households in the African American population are staggering. Somebody, in fact a large group of somebodies, needs to decide, and now, not to bear children whom she cannot or will not support or parent.

That aside, Gen Y non-transplant family here, non-snowflake, and when the time comes we will NOT be sending our children to the neighborhood schools. Would you sacrifice your own children to bring up the quality of a school ?

Old 12-02-2012, 06:06 PM

26 posts, read 105,036 times
The rap culture that glorifies gang banger thug life criminal lifestyle which is made out to enable you to drive an S class and wear LV sneakers. So when there are no values taught at home those values instead come from the garbage rap "music" and the ass clowns who perform it. And so instead of graduating high school and going to college these kids would rather drop out and gang bang/sell drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City