Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 08:27 PM

287 posts, read 593,943 times

Advertisements

I'm a teacher in a NYC public school. The decline of family values and lack of parents present at home is simply the problem. The kids are learning from their "boys" instead of from their parents. This is a deep-seated problem. Now state legislatures want to add 300 hours of class time in hopes of raising achievment (AKA standardized tests) scores.

IT WILL NOT WORK.

This is a society issues. I don't know what the solution is but until minority fathers start sticking around to raise their kids and children grow up in a two-parent household, nothing will change. And you can bank on that!

Old 12-03-2012, 11:51 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It isn't about blame, it is about truth. ... And the man IS actually holding them down, expressly by policy.
No one can hold anyone down, except themself.
Quote:
If you look at stop & frisk numbers, it is pretty clear that it not only targets a certain segment of the population
It certainly does! 92% young men of color, which equals the descriptions of street crime perps provided by their victims, who are also overwhelmingly people of color!
Quote:
As for the lovely suburbs, if you believe the policing in the suburbs is the same as the policing in NYC, it is you who has not spent enough time in the suburbs.
You have no idea of what policing in the suburbs entails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The police on LI ... are quick to shoot first and ask questions later ...
You have no idea of what policing in the suburbs entails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Many times I have listened to a (single) parent describe the oppressive culture that has prevented her son from achieving the Rhodes scholar status to which he is clearly entitled.
You should know, that there are a surprisingly large number of married or divorced suburban moms, who have similar delusions of entitlement for their children, although most aren't blaming an oppressive culture! They also tend to overlook the lack of effort from their offspring, and their own lack of participation in giving the kids the basic desire to strive to learn and achieve. Besides whining, that is! A relative who taught in a suburban district described them as "special". Not that they were mentally challenged in any way, just that they actually believed that their children were somehow entitled to good grades, a starting spot on the team, and a starring role in the school play!

Last edited by bigjake54; 12-04-2012 at 12:06 AM..

Old 12-04-2012, 12:51 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,372,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian1776 View Post
This is a society issues. I don't know what the solution is but until minority fathers start sticking around to raise their kids and children grow up in a two-parent household, nothing will change. And you can bank on that!
Most can agree that those minority fathers need to be raising their kids better but the question is why aren't more doing so? I think there is a good deal of merit to the view held by sociologist William Julius Wilson. He says that the black family breakdown is rooted in the high unemployment of black males that goes back decades it seems. Unemployed and under-employed men aren't going to be in the best position to get married and raise stable families. Fuller employment is needed for black men. The decline in U.S manufacturing has especially hurt black male employment. I'll add that Black-Americans really need to put a bigger emphasis on business ownership to create more of these jobs for themselves.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:05 AM

36 posts, read 66,958 times
Unfortunately, this is a problem in every major city, and its just one of the several vicious cycles that is caused by dysfunctional parents who are drug addicts, or criminals. Mothers who drink alcohol, and smoke crack while pregnant. Dumb kids who look up to rappers, thugs, drug dealers, and people who decide to live the "Ghetto" subculture lifestyle that breeds stupidity! Fast money, material things, jewelry, fancy cars, guns, unprotected sex is the top priority for them. Education is not, and this is why Whites, Asians, and Indians are the only ethnic groups who stick together, who don't kill each other, and who make it in the U.S. everybody else are just a bunch of Crabs! Crabs stay at the bottom of the barrel, snap at whatever they can, and bring everything down to their level. Crabs will even eat each other. Do anyone see a correlation here?

Old 12-04-2012, 06:21 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,934,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Most can agree that those minority fathers need to be raising their kids better but the question is why aren't more doing so?
Because it is NOT a part of the culture.
I object to the designation "minority fathers," though. There is no necessary connection with race. White trash folk behave in identical ways, with the difference being that they lack that all-important race card that can magically explain their own failures.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:25 AM

88,619 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
I knew an educator that taught basic and advanced reading skills in a public school. She found that in the homes the parents were not reading to and with the children. So some of the basic life survival skills were not being taught in the home.
It sounds overly simple, but there's a lot of truth to this. I remember reading that a kindergarten teacher can tell right away which children have been read to and which have not.

I personally think that not reading to your kid is quite possibly one of the worst parental-failure things you can do, after outright abuse and neglect. It can set the stage for their whole lives.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It sounds overly simple, but there's a lot of truth to this. I remember reading that a kindergarten teacher can tell right away which children have been read to and which have not.

I personally think that not reading to your kid is quite possibly one of the worst parental-failure things you can do, after outright abuse and neglect. It can set the stage for their whole lives.
There is a theoretical underpinning. Children's brains are structured and develop according to those things to which they are exposed during development. Canada (and other people, later) did a study some years ago concluding that in most low-income homes, children are exposed to far fewer vocabulary words than in higher income homes, and that this has a certain impact on later intelligence and personality development.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:12 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,382,695 times
Harlem resident if you actually read through the entire .pdf you would have learned a few things. I thought it was informative, and even I learned a few things:

Cubans have a median age of 40, which is highest among all Hispanics (27 years old median), and even older than the US as a whole (37 years old median age). Cubans must be an old population....and/or they are dying off. It is no wonder then that this population has a higher median wage....we know the older you get the more you tend to earn. PRs and Mexicans both have the youngest median ages (27 and 25 respectively)...I did not realize it, and by nature tend to have lower wages as they are in lower-earning years.

And some of the stats are a bit misleading. Is it really surprising for NYC-centric Hispanic populations to be least likely to own their own homes, and those which are based in suburban, lower-cost areas to be more likely to be homeowners? NYC is a city of renters, not owners, and the cost to buy is prohibitive for even "middle-income" residents...so I don't find the comparison with the rest of America reasonable or necessarily indicative of anything.

I do think the college achievement levels are valid however, but not surprising.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Harlem resident if you actually read through the entire .pdf you would have learned a few things.
About what ? Not sure what you mean. To which comment(s) do you refer ?

I would have expected that statistics painting broad pictures would be incorrect. Stats have trouble capturing culture, which is actual identity and therefore that which determines educational success.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam4444 View Post
The 10 Largest Hispanic Origin Groups: Characteristics, Rankings, Top Counties | Pew Hispanic Center

Click on The profiles of the different groups and it gives college education rates, income, etc. Although this doesn't mention high school dropout rates, it does go to show that certain Hispanic groups bring down the Hispanic average.
This is very interesting.

South American Hispanics have college graduation rates that are higher than of the national average.

While Central Americans (including the biggest group of hispanics; Mexicans) and Caribbean Hispanics have below average graduation rates.

The non-surprising exception is Cubans, with graduation rates similar to that of South Americans.

South American Hispanics are a relatively small percetantage of all Hispanics, so no matter how well they do, the average will be brought down by the biggest groups.

btw; you mention Chile and Argentina, but I don't see any stats for them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City