Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 12:37 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

One must often adjust for the differing social structures within different groups before comparisons can be made. This is why I resent sweeping statements made on this board by people like webster avenue, hilltop and others. The decry "blacks", and not a particular subset who have particular characteristics.

So it is often said that blacks are less likely to vote than are whites. Once one adjusts for social class the voting patterns are identical.

In my view, this adjustment must always be made. It's all about culture and class allegiance - which everyone completes, for better or worse.

I think the poster about the guns meant this certain kind of gun enthusiast, middle- to upper-middle class men usually. There are definitely blacks among them. Unfortunately we are acquainted with such people. Don't see the glamour of the firearm thing.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:10 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Comprehensive sex education combined with access to contraception for teens has been shown to be effective for reducing teen pregnancies.

As Teen Pregnancy Dropped, So Did Child Poverty (washingtonpost.com)
Yes Teen pregnancy has dropped this is good especially with sex ed across the board, the problem for most females and men in general lies ahead in the future with relationships. Most women will have out of wed lock babies when she becomes a bit older, which is the norm here NYC and probably for rest of America. Nothing is wrong with it the problem stems from family not being together. Is the father and mother of the child tend to remain together, no most likely both parties will see other people even a if a child from a previous relationship is involved. Also note what if the kid lives with his mom and no father around, the child or chidren have to live off of one parent income increasing the level poverty. Women can have 1-2-3-4 kids with no father around to support them. The more kids she has and no father around the more kids she has to cloth and feed, the only ones to step in to support them is Jesus Christ and Uncle Sam.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
And yet using most measures African Americans resemble US based Puerto Ricans than any other group? Virtually the same problems, inclusive of high single female headed households.

Now who do you think a 4th generation NY PR resembles more? An AA in The Bronx, or a PR living on the island?

As to gun loving AAs. Hmmmm. One wouldnt think so based on the fear of crime in Puerto Rico.
Wait 30 million Americans resemble 4 million Americans than any other group, please explain?

A 4th generation New Yorker of PR descent probably represents neither but to a lesser extent maybe both.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 12-05-2012 at 02:06 PM..

Old 12-05-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
What he choses to ignore is that the longer a group lives in a particular country the more closely they begin to absorb cultural norms. He also ignores the fact that much of what he considers "Anglo" American culture has been impacted by African Americans. One need only to listen to music from the southern Appalachians and then to music from Ireland. The banjo is an AFRICAN instrument, even though most often used by rural whites.

He is Guyanese of mainly East Indian ancestry. Again he need only compare the cultural behavior and values of many IndoCaribbeans with South Asians to understand that after 150 years within a Caribbean culture many IndoCaribbean people have absorbed aspects of the AfroEuro Creole cultures of Trinidad, Guyana, and elsewhere.
I didnt ignore anything, and of course when one person stays somewhere for a long period of time they begin to absorb another culture through assimilation. Appalchian culture comes from Scotland and Ireland.

I'm barely Indian, I have traces of it, posters on here have personally met me before and the would assume I'm PR or a DR. I have nothing in common with Indo guyanese except for food. Besides Indian Guyanes are crazy, especially the women.

Two Indians of Guyana have been seperated from India for 150 years or so, however many cultral aspects of Indian culture are absent in Guyana such as the Indian Caste System, arrainged marriages which is not so common but happens. Thanks to the internet and the world becoming a smaller place many Indians in Guyana are reconnecting with their motherland but at the sametime being bombarded by other cultures from the Anglo Caribbean and Hispano Caribbean, neighboring Brazil and global super power U.S of A.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:48 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Wait 30 million Americans have resemble 4 million Americans than any other group, please explain?

A 4th generation New Yorker of PR descent probably represents neither but to a lesser extent maybe both.
The ones I know represent the "white" side of their ancestry. Some don't speak/know very little spanish. Traditional families. Like to live in suburbs. Politically middle of the road leaning more right. Church-going people. They are very like many "non-hispanic" caucasians in society.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:54 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
^ so acting puerto rican or black sets you back?

Old 12-05-2012, 01:57 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ so acting puerto rican or black sets you back?
What ON EARTH is "acting" Puerto Rican or "acting" black.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:02 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
^ i was asking the other guy that,
but it's just being who you naturally
are really.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:39 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Wait 30 million Americans resemble 4 million Americans than any other group, please explain?

You claim that black and white Americans are no different, except for skin color. A fact that most might find shocking.

Yet you find it odd that many see little difference between a 4th generation PR DESCENT Bronxite and his African American neighbor. Indeed even many darker second generation Dominicans can pass, until they speak Spanish, and they clearly have a more dictinctive culture, identity and value system.

Given that folks tend to hang out with folks who they feel that they have in common, its clear that AAs feel more comfortable with 4th generation Bronxites, whose increasingly distant ancestry is from PRico, than they do with the decendants of the Dutch and the British.

You were the one who made generalizations about 30 million people. Clearly neither black nor white Americans are monolithic within their groups so one certainly cannot claim that the only differentiation between them is skin color. Which white American are you comparing to which black American?

Old 12-05-2012, 02:47 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
I didnt ignore anything, and of course when one person stays somewhere for a long period of time they begin to absorb another culture through assimilation. Appalchian culture comes from Scotland and Ireland.

I'm barely Indian, I have traces of it, posters on here have personally met me before and the would assume I'm PR or a DR. I have nothing in common with Indo guyanese except for food. Besides Indian Guyanes are crazy, especially the women.

Two Indians of Guyana have been seperated from India for 150 years or so, however many cultral aspects of Indian culture are absent in Guyana such as the Indian Caste System, arrainged marriages which is not so common but happens. Thanks to the internet and the world becoming a smaller place many Indians in Guyana are reconnecting with their motherland but at the sametime being bombarded by other cultures from the Anglo Caribbean and Hispano Caribbean, neighboring Brazil and global super power U.S of A.
The ORIGINS of Appalachian culture lie in the Scots Irish migrants. Living with other Americans for over 3 centuries they are NOW clearly very different from either the Irish Protestants or the Scottish.

Do not get me started on that "Guyanese Indians reconnected with India" bit. The Indians from India regard such attempts as hilarious as Africans do when AAs try this. Your average IndoGuyanese has speech patterns which draw more from West African influences than from anything in North India. Creolese is derived from the various Pidgin English dialects of West Africa. A modified version of 18th century English put upon a West African grammatical structure. An even more ancient version of it is in the Srnan Tongo of Suriname.

I lived in England and you should see the extreme hilarity that the English had when Americanj tourists played that "Mother Country" nonsense. After 3 generations people become too transformed to ever "go home".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City