Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 07:44 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
They serve no purpose to society other than suck up resources they never earned.
Yeah, sort of like landlords.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 07:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
None of my conservative friends have answered this question yet....lol....how much money are you personally losing to welfare programs? You sheep don't even know but you complain.
If you add in things like EIC, subsidized housing (both through tax credits, government bonding, and actual cash payments) and subsidized mass transit (all of which are welfare type entitlements in my opinion), around 5% of my income every year.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:13 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you add in things like EIC, subsidized housing (both through tax credits, government bonding, and actual cash payments) and subsidized mass transit (all of which are welfare type entitlements in my opinion), around 5% of my income every year.
What category on your paystub indicates this? I want to hear dollar amounts. For example, I'm losing $248.45 out of every check because of welfare. Complaining about something and you don't even have a sure idea of how its directly affecting you.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 12-30-2012 at 09:47 AM..

Old 12-30-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
What category on your paystub indicates this? I want to hear dollar amounts. For example, I'm losing $248.45 out of every check because of welfare. Complaining about something and you don't even have a sure idea of how its directly affecting you.
Are you saying I'm not spaying for these items? That they grow on trees?

Bottom line, I'm paying taxes to subsidize stuff that I shouldn't be subsidizing.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:58 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:

Bottom line, I'm paying taxes to subsidize stuff that I shouldn't be subsidizing.
No. I'm saying that you are upset about something that you don't even know how much you're affected by it fiscally. You don't even know how much it's hurting your pockets but you're mad.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-30-2012, 10:05 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:

However, I believe the point under suggestion goes something like - the welfare folk may be a problem, but they are the least of your worries, as would be obvious if you were to consider the enormous benefits and outright cash awards given to the wealthiest. Both corporations and citizens. This point is beyond valid.

You are being misled by rhetoric. Such benefits are not identified as "welfare," or similarly connotated terminology, instead being branded (and carefully so) as "necessary" to our fiscal health and something to which the beneficiaries are absolutely entitled. Sort of an odd twist on ideas that once upheld things like "absolute rule" and "natural orders of things" and "human nature," broadly speaking.

I observe with great interest, and sometimes great dismay, as our culture circulates and consumes these ideas.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
No. I'm saying that you are upset about something that you don't even know how much you're affected by it fiscally. You don't even know how much it's hurting your pockets but you're mad.
I am mad. I'm furious. I paid more in taxes last year than the average household income in this country. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying my share. But it irks me to no end when I see people bragging about using EIC for Disney trips, getting tattoos while collecting food stamps, living in subsidized housing because they don't want to commute an extra half an hour, or paying 25% of the actual cost of a public transit fare--especially when their fat arse could use the exercise to walk an extra 10 blocks.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
However, I believe the point under suggestion goes something like - the welfare folk may be a problem, but they are the least of your worries, as would be obvious if you were to consider the enormous benefits and outright cash awards given to the wealthiest. Both corporations and citizens. This point is beyond valid.

You are being misled by rhetoric. Such benefits are not identified as "welfare," or similarly connotated terminology, instead being branded (and carefully so) as "necessary" to our fiscal health and something to which the beneficiaries are absolutely entitled. Sort of an odd twist on ideas that once upheld things like "absolute rule" and "natural orders of things" and "human nature," broadly speaking.

I observe with great interest, and sometimes great dismay, as our culture circulates and consumes these ideas.
Let me guess. You live in Section 8 housing, get food stamps, and got your education paid for with PELL grants. You could make ends meet without entitlements, but that would mean working a second job, and gee, as long as they're filling the hand you've got hanging out--why bother?

I wasn't born with a silver spoon, I worked my tail off to get what I have in life, and I'm tired of handing it over to people who are taking advantage of a really broken system.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:30 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Let me guess. You live in Section 8 housing, get food stamps, and got your education paid for with PELL grants. You could make ends meet without entitlements, but that would mean working a second job, and gee, as long as they're filling the hand you've got hanging out--why bother?

I wasn't born with a silver spoon, I worked my tail off to get what I have in life, and I'm tired of handing it over to people who are taking advantage of a really broken system.
Again I would ask, as I have before: Why does a view different from your own ALWAYS involve some sort of personal experience ?

"No" to all questions, for me, by the way. Not even close ... !

I'm sure you have worked hard - so many people have. It is therefore difficult to understand why the insistence on defending the very system that harbors your actual exploiter. I see this again and again, indeed, it is the typical conservative situation.

I do have an actual, quite far left perspective, which means that I expect EVERYONE to make their best contribution. I see far too many who make none, at both ends of the spectrum. So I am certainly not sold on welfare benefits as they are currently functioning - failing to help those with legitimate need while also failing to catch abuses.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Again I would ask, as I have before: Why does a view different from your own ALWAYS involve some sort of personal experience ?

"No" to all questions, for me, by the way. Not even close ... !

I'm sure you have worked hard - so many people have. It is therefore difficult to understand why the insistence on defending the very system that harbors your actual exploiter. I see this again and again, indeed, it is the typical conservative situation.

I do have an actual, quite far left perspective, which means that I expect EVERYONE to make their best contribution. I see far too many who make none, at both ends of the spectrum. So I am certainly not sold on welfare benefits as they are currently functioning - failing to help those with legitimate need while also failing to catch abuses.
I'm not defending the system--I said it was broken. I'm for a flat tax, strict limits on entitlement programs to only provide for those who TRULY can't take care of themselves by virtue of severe physical disability or mental defect. People with obesity or ADD as their "excuse" need to get off their butts and find a damn job, and we need to temporarily sterilize anyone currently receiving entitlement benefits of ANY sort--including EIC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City