Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 11:39 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
So? They didn't scam anyone for that money. The government (for whatever reason) will give folks extra money for having children. For the record, I don't agree with this. I always believed it was a way for the government to make people get social security numbers for their children early, so they could have an immediate record of it.

Again, this is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. I thought you saw REAL "abuses" going on. So, just because they're poor they can't buy junk food?? Just how much do you think these people are getting?

I can tell you right now for an UNEMPLOYED single person with no dependents in NYC, all they are receiving is $200 per month. Nothing else. Exactly, how much 'healthy' food can you buy with $200 a month?

The healthy foods I eat will perish in a few days if I don't eat them quickly or freeze them. I've spent way more than $200 on healthy eats, but if I was relegated to $200 a month, I guess I'd be forced to eat canned goods or something (because that's MY type of diet). I don't JUDGE others on their food choices.

I'm not Bloomberg.

Different program.
I realize they are different programs, I'm saying they should be managed the same way with only healthy foods being allowed. As long as my tax dollars are paying for entitlement programs, it most certainly is my business how those dollars are being spent.

If you were smart, you could eat quite well on $200 a month. My budget for three adults is $400 a month, and the junkiest thing in my house right now is pita chips that I made from scratch and some dark chocolate that I'm going to bake with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 12:04 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Florida, but I saw it when I lived in NY and in NJ as well.

Google "Dis Boards" and you'll see many, many posters salivating over their upcoming Disney trips that they are paying for with their EIC. It will make you ill.
Why would it make you ill....if u had a kid and u qualified for the Earned Income Tax credit, would you give the money back to the govt or would you keep it? If the govt deems them eligible for it then they're entitled to it; why get mad at them? No matter what social class u come from there are all types of frivolous spenders in each one. So is it the more money you make, the less responsible you get to behave??

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-30-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Why would it make you ill....if u had a kid and u qualified for the Earned Income Tax credit, would you give the money back to the govt??
I'd save it for a college fund for my children or something else that's actually useful so I wouldn't have to have my hand out again down the road.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I'd save it for a college fund for my children or something else that's actually useful so I wouldn't have to have my hand out again down the road.
Ok but you wouldn't give it back. You see the problem with people like you is that you have absolutely no idea of how socioeconomics mold's a person's psyche. Some people will pull themselves out of their rut, others will not. I don't get why people keep thinking everybody is supposed to do well in life. What's so hard to grasp about this concept. Some people will make it big and be very wealthy. Some people will be poor and die a miserable death. It's human Darwinism. Deal with it.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Ok but you wouldn't give it back. You see the problem with people like you is that you have absolutely no idea of how socioeconomics mold's a person's psyche. Some people will pull themselves out of their rut, others will not. I don't get why people keep thinking everybody is supposed to do well in life. What's so hard to grasp about this concept. Some people will make it big and be very wealthy. Some people will be poor and die a miserable death. It's human Darwinism. Deal with it.
The point is that they shouldn't have gotten it to begin with. It's one of the many things about the system that's broken.

I never said everyone should do well in life, but I also think that many don't give 110% to take care of themselves and expect others to pay for their keep as a result. Those who don't give 110% (who are physically and mentally capable of doing so) should die however they do--this is not my problem, nor should it be.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
The point is that they shouldn't have gotten it to begin with. It's one of the many things about the system that's broken.

I never said everyone should do well in life, but I also think that many don't give 110% to take care of themselves and expect others to pay for their keep as a result. Those who don't give 110% (who are physically and mentally capable of doing so) should die however they do--this is not my problem, nor should it be.
So then blame the system itself, not the individuals who have no choice but to participate in it. It's not like there an option box to decide if u want to receive EITC or not on your 1040. Stop blaming the people on welfare and blame the people who issued them their EBT cards.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:35 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,025,023 times
Quote:
This is the only thing you and I agree on. I don't believe you should be rewarded extra money just because you got kids. Something about this always seemed off and still does.

But they're not scamming the system to get it and how they spend it really is THEIR business.

There is a huge swath of the population that lives for their tax money. Literally. I mean it's their whole life. I find it sad actually, but that's ANOTHER thread.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
So then blame the system itself, not the individuals who have no choice but to participate in it. It's not like there an option box to decide if u want to receive EITC or not on your 1040. Stop blaming the people on welfare and blame the people who issued them their EBT cards.
Actually thinking about it, they do have a choice. if they don't apply for the EIC, they won't get one.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:43 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,025,023 times
Quote:
Actually thinking about it, they do have a choice. if they don't apply for the EIC, they won't get one.
Who in their RIGHT mind wouldn't?

As much I don't like it, I know I certainly would and so would 100% of everyone else against "entitlements" no matter what they say on this board.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:52 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,926,435 times
Quote:
So then blame the system itself, not the individuals who have no choice but to participate in it.
Exactly, however, many have written (and history should have taught us) that people will generally turn on those directly above and below them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City