Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 02:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times

Advertisements

From above links:

Newark had a murder rate of 33/100k
The rest of Essex County had a murder rate of 4.5/100k
The Bronx had a murder rate of 8.1/100k

The Bronx not only had a lower murder rate than all of Essex County but less murders (by 2).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 03:37 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The Bronx not only had a lower murder rate than all of Essex County but less murders (by 2).
Most of those Essex 115 murders happened in Newark's west side, East Orange & Irvington, a small area on the map, encompassing the left side of 1, 2 & 22:
File:Essex County, New Jersey Municipalities.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone hanging out in that area, is liable to get jacked or shot:
http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/20...er_carjac.html

Old 01-27-2013, 04:22 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I saw this article and I found it interesting, but it is disingenuous to state that because murder rate is lower for 1 or 2 years vs Boston (proper), that the Bronx is "safer" than Boston. Yes there is a lower murder rate, but it is 1 category...there are several others which I think are just as important and where the Bronx underperforms vs Boston.

However, I contend that "gentrification" is NOT occuring in the Bronx, which by definition is a displacement of existing residents....it ain't happening. The newer residents are professionals, higher income than existing residents, and oftentimes from outside the borough, which is 1/2 of the definition of gentrification. BUT, they are moreso moving into new developments on vacant / underutilized properties (like converted retail or wharehouses), and not existing residential properties.

So what is really happening in places like the Southern Bronx? Newbies of all colors, sexual orientations, professions, and income ranges, are moving into the new working/middle class developments, and living among the lower class. There is no displacement of existing residents, however there is a general exodus of the "old guard" (PRs and Blacks) due to movement up the economic ladder and out to other areas of the country (Atlanta/PA/FL) and a movement into the community by new immigrants (Mexicans/Central Americans/Dominicans).

The net effect is that the existing housing stock (excluding the housing projects) is changing over to an immigrant community, while the working/middle class residents from the Bronx as well as across the city are moving into the new rental/co-op/condo developments, and amenities are quickly entering to serve the new populations.

This isn't gentrification, it is simply a revitalization. I am glad to see it and so are the residents of the Bronx, particularly Southern Bronx.
I know on my block there are more Dominicans and Mexicans than Puerto Ricans, most of the Ricans moved out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City