Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:05 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,573 times

Advertisements

Some NYers do it, while some others don't. Funnily enough, the folks doing it live in the 'city' of New York Themselves. Where did this trend start or where and what era this this come from ? Is it the skyscrapers, then comes the question, not all large cities have an abundunce of skyscrapers ? But at the same time again, centers with big populations are cities in definition, Brooklyn and Queens are the largest boroughs in that matter.. When someone says 'I am going to the city' and I respond 'which city are you going too'

I refer to Manhattan as 'Manhattan'.. There is only one... and you ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 09:23 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,542,987 times
i grew up saying that in bronxville. all my family and friends in queens and staten island always called manhattan the city as well. it looked the part w/ the skyscrapers over the warehouses in the bronx and brooklyn.

of you watch tv shows like the 'king of queens', they call manhattan the city as well

Old 07-24-2012, 09:45 PM

255 posts, read 475,945 times
It was refered to in the former BMT and IRT subway systems as well. Signs would read "TO CITY". I just call Manhattan it's boro name.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:49 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,775 times
I grew up in Manhattan, and my family and I always called it the city. My family in eastern Long Island always say "I am going to the city" - and we automatically know they mean Manhattan.

I am not sure where it originated, but if I had to guess I would say because New York City has always attracted people, and Manhattan is the Siren, the allure of the five boroughs. The important jobs are in the borough, and is it thought that most want to live there (when indeed there are some people who would rather not).
I have also thought about the fact that Americans are lazy in their speech, particularly those in the North East. Given the amount of people that have always commuted into the city (Manhattan), it could have come into everyday speech by commuters who wanted a shorter way to say they were going into Manhattan.

Lastly, you have those people that believe the term "the city" is only inclusive of everything in between Battery Park City and 96th, and that everything above 96th does not deserve the title.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:17 PM

255 posts, read 475,945 times
Actually, I believe it originated when today's NYC was still 5 separate cities. New York City was just Manhattan at that time.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:50 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,443 times
When people refer to the city, they are primarily referring to the Midtown/Downtown CBDs. I never used the terminology, makes no sense. If I am in Midtown, well, I'm in Midtown.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:26 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,973,458 times
Most native NY'ers refer to Manhattan as the City. As far as I know, it does originate from before 1898 when NYC was created.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:53 AM

455 posts, read 652,063 times
Manhattan is the city since:

the majority of the tourists attractions are located in Manhattan.
the majority of the jobs are in Manhattan. (finance, hospitality, retail, media, etc)
several entertainment venues are located in Manhattan.
the majority of the NYC's landmarks are in Manhattan.
it is the area where the majority of tv shows and movies shoot their scenes in.

Manhattan = Columbia University to Battery Park. It does not include Harlem, Wash Heights and Inwood. Those areas are outer Manhattan.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:19 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
I think THE CITY stems from the fact that so many people have to go into Manhattan for their jobs, shopping, entertainment, even from New Jersey, Long Island or Connecticut.

In London THE CITY refers to the financial hub, so not so dissimilar from Manhattan.

When I lived in Jersey City I called Manhattan "the City" and the burbs "Brooklyn, Queens" etc. But now I am in Manhattan and usually refer to "downtown" (like Petula Clark) or "over to" if I am talking about the UWS.
So no need for the term "the City" anymore. ALthough I have friends in Rego park and Riverdale who frequently use the term to mean downtown Manhattan...to work or play.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:20 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,769 times
Because it is. It just is. There is no why.

Do you have a lot of time on your hands or something?

(I do mean this in jest, okay?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City