Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 12:24 PM

7 posts, read 16,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
So much for personal space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
You want to live in bedstuy with 5 other people to do some crappy bartending? Lol.
I've just finished my degree and this is my last chance to do something this idiotic/fun before I have to get a "real" job. And personal space is overrated ha. This kind of stuff is really popular among Irish students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 12:31 PM

26 posts, read 37,239 times
I just bought a house up the street from there. You are taking about the best corner of bed-stuy. There's good transportation, the nostrand station is great the A is highly expess. Theres new bars this area of bedsuy along with crown heights and clinton hill. I think the location is a great idea for savings, Williamsburg and other areas of brooklyn have become expensive. The crime rate is still a little higher than other areas, so stay in groups particularly the women.... keep your doors locked. As for the jobs, can't help you there.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:26 PM

7 posts, read 16,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk333 View Post
I just bought a house up the street from there. You are taking about the best corner of bed-stuy. There's good transportation, the nostrand station is great the A is highly expess. Theres new bars this area of bedsuy along with crown heights and clinton hill. I think the location is a great idea for savings, Williamsburg and other areas of brooklyn have become expensive. The crime rate is still a little higher than other areas, so stay in groups particularly the women.... keep your doors locked. As for the jobs, can't help you there.
That's (mostly) reassuring to hear!

Old 05-20-2013, 09:35 AM

297 posts, read 729,676 times
Bed-Stuy do or die

Old 05-20-2013, 09:42 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevB View Post
Yup. We're students. We'll make it work.
So how big is the apartment?

Old 05-20-2013, 09:13 PM

13 posts, read 28,874 times
Hahahaha. Bed Stuy is not a really nice neighborhood, but it has gotten better. I had a friend who was robbed twice in one week by the same guy. Granted he was an easy target. Just keep your head down and walk fast at night. Cross the street if you see hoodlums. Use common sense and you'll be fine.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:05 AM

912 posts, read 2,099,637 times
If you wear a fitted hat and keep your head down you should be fine

Old 05-21-2013, 07:29 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,283,547 times
Agree that Bed Stuy has gotten better, but considering your situation, you should look elsewhere. Working late night jobs, most likely drinking and staying out late... plus during the summer, the hood gets magnified 10X and everyone is out in the streets.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:04 AM

510 posts, read 2,243,841 times
The OP has the right attitude, in my opinion. He's coming to NYC with a bunch of friends to slum it for the summer before he buckles down and does the adult thing. I see nothing wrong with it. He's not asking if the area has good schools or moving here with kids or something. It's a bunch of friends looking for a good time in NYC. Give him a break, he'll probably have a blast.

That area of Bed-Stuy isn't even THAT awful. I wouldn't want to live there personally but if you're just doing it for a place to crash for a few months you should be fine. Just keep your wits about you and be smart (and accept that you might occassionally be verbally harassed).

You'll probably have a hard time finding employment but that's another issue. Anyways, there are plenty of young people living 5 or 6 to an apartment. Doesn't appeal to me but I'm sure you'll have fun. Good luck.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:53 AM

589 posts, read 1,220,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcon0 View Post
The OP has the right attitude, in my opinion. He's coming to NYC with a bunch of friends to slum it for the summer before he buckles down and does the adult thing. I see nothing wrong with it. He's not asking if the area has good schools or moving here with kids or something. It's a bunch of friends looking for a good time in NYC. Give him a break, he'll probably have a blast.

That area of Bed-Stuy isn't even THAT awful. I wouldn't want to live there personally but if you're just doing it for a place to crash for a few months you should be fine. Just keep your wits about you and be smart (and accept that you might occassionally be verbally harassed).

You'll probably have a hard time finding employment but that's another issue. Anyways, there are plenty of young people living 5 or 6 to an apartment. Doesn't appeal to me but I'm sure you'll have fun. Good luck.
Reminds me of that story where 4 friends who were in a band moved to an area similar to bedstuy and end up getting robbed a few weeks later. Can't find the story though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City