Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2013, 09:25 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Dude, she stopped answering a long time ago. She left the thread, chased off by your hatred. It shows what kind of person you are.

So if crime happens everywhere, according to you, then she and her family have no problem moving to Bay Ridge. You quite clearly have an ax to grind. Perhaps you are the one with problems of her being married to a Black man, and you're projecting it out on other people.

And for the record, I don't live my life by newsreports. I just live my life, and I've been all over the city in public with gay men of all races and have never had any comments or problems directed towards me. THAT IS THE REALITY OF MY SITUATION.

I have also seen all sorts of interracial couples happily interact with each other in public, and no one even took note. That is also REALITY.

You're the poster who lives in the NorthWest Bronx, but who is delusional enough to claim that Riverdale is not in the Bronx, when it assuredly is in Bronx County according to any and all legal forms, documents, state county boundaries, etc. That's out of touch with reality, but you were in touch with it enough to go hysterical about the ghetto Bronx tours (because you know that Riverdale is in the Bronx).

LOL... The only thing delusional is you somehow acting as if none of the sorts of incidents I mentioned happen. The OP wanted a true response to the question and she received one. The area has been historically racist and there has been subtle racism there and I noted incidents which show that. Does that mean it will happen with her and her family? Maybe, maybe not, but my point was that if something does happen she should be prepared and not shocked or left wondering.

The fact that I live in Riverdale really has no bearing to this conversation. We know where we live and we're just happy here in Riverdale. You should worry about yourself there in the Bronx and stop worrying about what we call our neighborhood, which is certainly our prerogative.

Where you're really delusional at is implying that the OP HAS to either live in Bay Ridge or live in Brownsville (an impoverished neighborhood) as if she has no other options.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 06-10-2013 at 08:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 09:39 AM

119 posts, read 206,942 times
Hey OP-- I am late to the thread but... I lived there and in Dyker HEights in the late 90s. there were not a lot of blacks in BR at that time but I get the draw of good schools and a safe neighborhood. you really need to go see for yourself. take the train down and walk around, go in shops, go get some (delicious) food and see how it feels for you.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:39 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
LOL... The only thing delusional is you somehow acting as if none of the sorts of incidents I mentioned happen. The OP wanted a true response to the question and she received one. The area has been historically racist and there has been subtle racism there and I noted incidents which show that. Does that mean it will happen with her and her family? Maybe, maybe not, but my point was that if something does happen she should be prepared and not shocked or left wondering.

The fact that I live in Riverdale really has no bearing to this conversation. We know where we live and we're just happy here in Riverdale. You should worry about yourself there in the Bronx and stop worrying about what we call our neighborhood, which is certainly our prerogative.

Where you're really delusional at is implying that the OP HAS to either live in Bay Ridge or live in Brownsville (an impoverished neighborhood) as if she has no other options.

\
Who said I was worried about you at all? I don't care either way.

There can be subtle racism everywhere and anywhere in the world. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't live in a place.

OP, this thread is a perfect example of why you do not ask perfect strangers online about a neighborhood. You don't know who you're dealing with, and you don't know the person's agenda. If you want to know about a NYC neighborhood, you need to go there yourself, hang out, get to know people there so you can see what the area is currently like, not get someone's version of the neighborhood 40 years ago or so.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 06-10-2013 at 09:00 PM..

Old 06-04-2013, 10:52 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I don't know what I think about this...

you're in your feelings, right?

Old 06-04-2013, 11:21 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
Quote:
Who said I was worried about you at all? I don't care either way.

There can be subtle racism everywhere and anywhere in the world. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't live in a place.

OP, this thread is a perfect example of why you do not ask perfect strangers online about a neighborhood. You don't know who you're dealing with, and you don't know the person's agenda. If you want to know about a NYC neighborhood, you need to go there yourself, hang out, get to know people there so you can see what the area is currently like, not get someone's version of the neighborhood 40 years ago or so.
40 years ago? Please... One of the incidents I mentioned happened just a few months ago... Stop exaggerating. The OP would be foolish not to go there for herself and see because at the end of the day it's up to her to decide what works best for her, but it doesn't hurt for her to know of some of the problems that she may face living here rather than finding out about it the hard way. Despite you accusing me of race baiting, I'm not the only one who has stated that there has been racism in the neighborhood. I don't see what sort of agenda I'm supposed to have or anyone else for that matter by answering her question frankly and truthfully rather than trying to sugarcoat things like you are.

Oh, NOTHING has EVER happened to me and EVERYONE is just great. I don't know world you're living in but clearly it's not anywhere near reality.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
I hope neither she nor her husband would plan on using the train, which Bayside doesn't have. Bayside is way out in the middle of nowhere, you have to take a bus to take you to the Flushing line. Bay Ridge at least has the R train.
Bayside has the LIRR straight to Manhattan as well, though. It's a little more expensive, but definitely faster.

In any case, I didn't read the full thread (I clicked on a link from another thread), but I don't think Bay Ridge would really be the type of area where you'd see any obvious racism nowadays. I mean, for what it's worth, it is an urban area with pretty good transit service, so it's not like they're not seeing any blacks at all. (For instance, the S53 to Staten Island passes through Park Hill, which is a black neighborhood)

Old 06-09-2013, 07:54 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,621,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsQueens View Post
An associate of mine hosted her birthday party at a place in Bay Ridge and the vibe (outside not in the establishment itself) was uncomfortable (we're all African-American females). There were definitely lots of stares and the feeling was just generally unwelcome. I wouldn't call it hostile- no on harrassed us (and that would have been a mistake anyway since many of us were carrying some sort of protection b/c we had already heard about racial attitudes in Bay Ridge). However, this was my first and only time being in that neighborhood so I can't say whether or not it's a regular thing that happens.
you were probably looking pretty and people felt the need to check you out.

I posted somewhere in this thread before and forgot what I posted but here goes again.

OP you'll be fine, Bay Ridge is full of non-white people.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:19 PM

398 posts, read 1,391,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Racism is never warranted.
Of course not. I'm just saying that it seemed like whenever someone got beat up in a African American neighborhood none of the Italians would do anything really. They would just say it is what it is even though they were mad. But when an African American got beat up in an Italian neighborhood everyone would go crazy. I am not racist, it's just easy to see why back then so many Italians didn't like African Americans. It's ignorant, but just the way things were.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:24 PM

398 posts, read 1,391,901 times
Times have changed however. I'm an Italian American and I never judged anyone by their ethnicity. I'm an avid fan of hip hop. I remember when hip hop first started.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:52 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
^ the italians didn't do marches and
that's mainly what got them upset
about large groups of blacks coming
into their neighborhoods at one time.
it was as if they were blaming the whole
community for something one or two
people did to one or two black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City