Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:39 AM

473 posts, read 1,670,778 times

Advertisements

I'd seriously consider Long Island City/Astoria. You have access to the N , R trains and the areas are pretty cool. it's more family ish than single-ish but i've lived there before and it was cool.

A long commute is something you have to deal with in the city you know. if you want to live close the hikes are too much

Check out pricing in Long Island city. I know there are some apartments on 34th ave and around crescent street that are decent and the N train is only a few blocks up. The broadway stop is only 3 stops from the city (59th street). you can't beat that.

williamsburg will be ideal for what you're looking for but the rent is killer however if you can find something in williamsburg you will find more people around your age and also closer to the city and also a decent night life. loads of bars food joints
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 05:37 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Sorry if I am reading this wrong, but it sounds like you are saying that her only two choices are #1 living in an expensive area with a roommate, or #2 living in an edgy and potentially unsafe area (the 'hood')

It seems to me she doesn't want either of these options. She already said she wants to live alone, and she said she wants safe and under $1400. Well BOTH of these can be fulfilled, and she can stay within an hour's commute to work (which btw is not that bad in NY). She has plenty of options and does not have to live with a roommate or in an unsafe area.

She did not mention she wanted to live in Queens and it tends to be a bit further from WFC than upper Brooklyn and parts of Jersey, but there are plenty of people living in Forest Hills, Sunnyside, Woodside, Jackson Heights and Astoria who commute to various places in Manhattan. And it's possible to find a studio for under $1400 in ALL of these neighborhoods. And while no neighborhood is 100% safe all the time, none of these places could be considered 'the hood'.
Henna, you've brought up some very good points. I missed that the OP was looking for a studio, not a one-bedroom. I still think that Forest Hills would be to far for work in the FiDi, but she didn't say that specifically.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:26 PM

7 posts, read 14,711 times
Okay, you all have all given me some really great insight...thank you!!

My plans have changed at bit, and I am looking to buy something small, either a co-op or condo. I went out with a realtor in Hoboken this past weekend and totally fell in love with the area.

I am going with another realtor in Brooklyn this weekend and will be looking at some co-ops in Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights and Clinton hill.

My question now is for people who know both areas: Is there a downtown part around the areas I'm looking in Brooklyn with a cluster of shops, restaurants, bars, etc? In Hoboken, it seems that Washington Street is the place to be. Basically I'm wondering if its possible to compare the two, or if they are completely different lifestyles.

Any thoughts or opinions???

Old 11-20-2007, 09:33 PM

16 posts, read 80,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoNYC View Post
Okay, you all have all given me some really great insight...thank you!!

My plans have changed at bit, and I am looking to buy something small, either a co-op or condo. I went out with a realtor in Hoboken this past weekend and totally fell in love with the area.

I am going with another realtor in Brooklyn this weekend and will be looking at some co-ops in Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights and Clinton hill.

My question now is for people who know both areas: Is there a downtown part around the areas I'm looking in Brooklyn with a cluster of shops, restaurants, bars, etc? In Hoboken, it seems that Washington Street is the place to be. Basically I'm wondering if its possible to compare the two, or if they are completely different lifestyles.

Any thoughts or opinions???

I am in the exact same situation, i dont want a room mate (college was enough, and my max rent is around 1400)...i love hoboken..but cant find anything in my price range...and i love the area of williamsbug, with it being young, artsy, and fits my vibe as a 22 year old in the art world...i am hoping to figure it all out soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City