Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 06:27 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Eurocentric ... white foreigners ... divide and rule games that whites play ... native born whites ... trickery that some whites play to divide them
You just can't get The Man off your back ...

Old 01-10-2014, 12:52 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,325,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
You just can't get The Man off your back ...
Yep unfortunately, big brother is watching us. Smh. Sigh. Sad reality.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Thats maybe...yes, a MAYBE.

Many, many slave ships coming to the US landed in the Caribbean before they came to the North America. Thats already a known fact. The number coming directly from Africa as opposed to transferring from the Caribbean we don't know. South Carolina for instance had slaves that were imported from Barbados upon its founding. That colony was made specifically for slavery. The slavery connection between Barbados and South Carolina is known among historians.

Olaudah Equiano was an enslaved African brought to the Caribbean and eventually bought to Barbados, and then eventually Virginia. (although some suggest he was born in South Carolina).

The breeding and domesticating point I made earlier. You are correct.

Puerto Rico was never an important Spanish colony, and yes, nor was it very lucrative for Spain's colonists.
That probably explains why it had fewer slaves than Cuba. But keep in mind many of Puerto Rico's slaves also came from other neighboring islands.

But slavery in Puerto Rico, Brazil, and Cuba still lasted longer after slaves here were free.

Its just that not many slaves were brought to the United States directly from Africa, compared to Latin America and the Caribbean. It is indeed a shock for many people.
The claim or theory of slaves and colonists from Barbados founding the Carolinas has been debunked. Many historians state that many times, people may have docked or rested at one port or passed through one port, to get to their final or desired location, but that doesn't mean that they were from or long rooted in or tied to the land from which they entered the final destination.

So the claim of people from Barbados founding the Carolinas is bogus. Also the Carolinas had Africans dating back to the 1510s. The oldest African uprising and settlement of escaped slaves was established in 1526 and was called San Miguel de Guadalupe. It consisted of Roman Catholic baptized Spanish speaking Africans.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:12 AM

Arabs and Europeans were the ones who carved up Africa without regards to ethnic boundaries, then they have issues with multiculturalism. #Irony

Old 03-10-2014, 10:53 PM

251 posts, read 637,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Except you don't care about the future of Blacks. You're creating a cult of Blackness, and you attack anyone who isn't into it. If people were dumb enough to follow your advice, they'd impoverish themselves even more.
Explain how practicing group economics like the Jews is would further impoverish blacks? Did you know that the Jewish dollar bounces 18 times in (other words passes with other jews hands 18 times) before it leaves the Jewish community. Guess how many it the dollars bounces between Black hands....

Quote:
If you look at the city as a whole, outside of restaurants, bars, and the cleaners, immigrant retail businesses are being pushed aside in favor of major retailers.

There is little to no money in owning most small businesses, many of which go out of business in a few years! As for the employees of small businesses, regardless of race they are making the minimum wage.

So if you seriously think Blacks will uplift themselves by working for the minimum wage in a small business, it means you know absolutely nothing about money, business or investing.

You thinking WAY too small terms. There many good and services that Black could make a killing at serving other Blacks. And if we were to aggregate our money even on a small local level we could accomplish a lot. The Asian and Latino do this (aggregate their resources) and they feed there families off Blacks. Don't you think it's about time we did for ourselves?

Quote:
So go straight with your friends and go on about how Black you are, and working in your minimum wage job at your minimum wage business (with no promotion, as everyone just works for the owner) and enjoy living in the housing projects, in some basement, or 50 people to a house. That's the reality of working in a small inner city business in NYC.
Why are thinking just in terms of a small retail shop?

Old 03-10-2014, 11:03 PM

[quote=caribny;32704431]Don't worry phillystress is another one who not only doesn't own a business, or at least a thriving one, so has no idea what it entails.

Quote:
And yes many blacks do own various professional service businesses, and they will tell you that her pleas for blacks to live in an economic ghetto is ridiculous. It is also an insult to those who fight against racism daily.
How is being in economic control of our communities and not depending on others to feed us not ridiculous racism? And what makes you think you can force people that don't like you to like you?

Quote:
One cannot tell other groups to stop showing bias against blacks, but tell blacks to isolate themselves.
Maybe if we had more respect for ourselves and ultimately more money and power we wouldn't have some these problems.

Quote:
Yes I agree that blacks must do a better job in pooling our connections and resources, but this isn't about being isolated. This is about ensuring that each can be more competitive in the mainstream. And this is also not about doing this to the exclusion of forming alliances with individuals fro m other groups either.

Maybe I am painting the wrong picture. This is what I mean:

If You Have No Money You Have No Say - YouTube

Old 03-10-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I understand what you're saying to the poster but the biggest obstacle to the success of Black businesses is the Black business owners themselves. Black businesses need to improve in these areas if they wish to be successful: customer service (learn what that is and don't talk to people the way you talk to your kids), professionalism (train the people that you hire including family members), professionalism (your cell phone conversations should not be heard by the customer and/or personal business, who you are arguing with should not be discussed in public, period), be consistent (open up and close at the posted time every day instead of how you feel that day), create a customer-friendly environment (employees should not have scowls on their faces, friend/cousin of the cashier should not be standing at the register conversing with the cashier while the customer has to wait for the conversation to end in order to pay and leave), create a customer-friendly environment (there should not be people hanging out in front of your business unless you want to severely limit the number of customers who do business with you), professionalism (employees should not use their employee platform while on the clock to recruit for new Pan-Africanism membership), professionalism (speak without cursing, talking sex, or saying the N-word because that type of profane talk is crude hostile, low class behavior and is inappropriate in any professional environment that doesn't include dimmed lights, controlled substances/narcotics, and/or alcohol) .
This is not indicative of every black business and you know this. Yet I bet that you'll got go Asian and white businesses that abuse you and show contempt for your mere presence. Try to understand what your doing when you reject Black businesses. We spend 1 trillion OUTSIDE our community. IF we aggregate our spending power we would be the 5th richest group on earth. We are wasting precious time with these self defeating arguments.

If You Have No Money You Have No Say - YouTube

Old 03-11-2014, 12:36 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Being that I have never been hired by a Black business I owe them no loyalty when it comes to spending MY MONEY. I'll spend my money wherever I please, and this militant 70s Afrocentric nonsense can fry ice in the lowest level of hell.

And I'm not interested in ghettoization, but if that's how some of you want to live, fine.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Being that I have never been hired by a Black business I owe them no loyalty when it comes to spending MY MONEY. I'll spend my money wherever I please, and this militant 70s Afrocentric nonsense can fry ice in the lowest level of hell.
There nothing afrocentric about practicing economic sanity. What is afrocentric about controlling the businesses and laws where you live? No ralllies, bizarre religious practices, no African garments, just men and women doing business with their own. All in the name of their own self interest the same way the Jews, Asian and Hispanics do. Is that you definition of afrocentrism?

And I'm not interested in ghettoization, but if that's how some of you want to live, fine.[/quote]

"Ghettoziation" Wow. This says all how you more feel about Black people and being Black. Anyways, you've been lead to the water. Bye!

Old 03-11-2014, 03:03 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillystress215 View Post
There nothing afrocentric about practicing economic sanity. What is afrocentric about controlling the businesses and laws where you live? No ralllies, bizarre religious practices, no African garments, just men and women doing business with their own. All in the name of their own self interest the same way the Jews, Asian and Hispanics do. Is that you definition of afrocentrism?

And I'm not interested in ghettoization, but if that's how some of you want to live, fine.

I agree.

Quote:

There is nothing "Afrocentric" about a black person supporting another black person's business.

A silly argument at best.

Last edited by Relaxx; 03-11-2014 at 03:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City