Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 03:13 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
The claim or theory of slaves and colonists from Barbados founding the Carolinas has been debunked. Many historians state that many times, people may have docked or rested at one port or passed through one port, to get to their final or desired location, but that doesn't mean that they were from or long rooted in or tied to the land from which they entered the final destination.

So the claim of people from Barbados founding the Carolinas is bogus. Also the Carolinas had Africans dating back to the 1510s. The oldest African uprising and settlement of escaped slaves was established in 1526 and was called San Miguel de Guadalupe. It consisted of Roman Catholic baptized Spanish speaking Africans.
I never said people from Barbados founded South Carolina.

I know the Carolinas had Africans dating back to the 1500s but it was not the focal point of the argument.

But there was no SOUTH CAROLINA under Spanish settlement, which insinuates no argument to debunk.

I was talking specifically about the colony of SOUTH CAROLINA specifically, whose establishment was for the purpose of plantation slavery with the importation of enslaved Africans. It was a slave colony. YES, and slaves outnumbered Europeans.

In that slave colony a large number of enslaved Africans and Europeans did arrive from Barbados upon its establishment for the purpose of chattel slavery.

That was my point, MELISMATICECHOES.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:36 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillystress215 View Post
Explain how practicing group economics like the Jews is would further impoverish blacks? Did you know that the Jewish dollar bounces 18 times in (other words passes with other jews hands 18 times) before it leaves the Jewish community. Guess how many it the dollars bounces between Black hands....

You thinking WAY too small terms. There many good and services that Black could make a killing at serving other Blacks. And if we were to aggregate our money even on a small local level we could accomplish a lot. The Asian and Latino do this (aggregate their resources) and they feed there families off Blacks. Don't you think it's about time we did for ourselves?

Why are thinking just in terms of a small retail shop?

Jews, but also Arabs, Asians and to some degree Hispanics are bit different from blacks, to some degree non Episcopalian Anglo whites and Native Americans when it comes to economics. One these folks have a dollar today, and get paid a dollar tomorrow, they are not going to spend that dollar right away. Jews, Arabs, South Asians, East Asiants et al will save their dollar for the next day or even for the next week and will have multiple dollars, which can be used for other more important purchases like education, a home, or even health. Blacks Americans, Native Americans and to some degree non Episcopalian Anglo whites will spend every dollar of every day into oblivion, and when the time comes, their is no money for more important things like education, no money for doctor, no money for legal services such as fines, or facing imprisonment and cant pay for a lawyer or pay bail.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:41 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,861,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
I never said people from Barbados founded South Carolina.

I know the Carolinas had Africans dating back to the 1500s but it was not the focal point of the argument.

But there was no SOUTH CAROLINA under Spanish settlement, which insinuates no argument to debunk.

I was talking specifically about the colony of SOUTH CAROLINA specifically, whose establishment was for the purpose of plantation slavery with the importation of enslaved Africans. It was a slave colony. YES, and slaves outnumbered Europeans.

In that slave colony a large number of enslaved Africans and Europeans did arrive from Barbados upon its establishment for the purpose of chattel slavery.

That was my point, MELISMATICECHOES.
This is very true. Many ancestors of Black Americans in SC and Georgia first came from Barbados not straight from Africa especially before 1776 when all of them, Barbados, Georgia and SC. were British Colonies. It was easier to acclimate the native Africans to Barbados where the weather was similar, and to adjust to a life of chattel slavery off on the islands off of the continent of North America, before experiencing the winters on the continent.

Slaves on the western parts of these states were usually bought down from Virginia and what is now Western Virginia. Many of these slaves were already here on the continent of North America for a few generations, however most of these also came from Barbados originally and not straight from Africa.

The food from Barbados is the most similar to the food that US Southerners eat, out of all the Caribbean islands. After leaving Barbados they had to adapt to the natural growing foods of the southern US, or only eat the foods that could grow in the US from Barbados.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
This is very true. Many ancestors of Black Americans in SC and Georgia first came from Barbados not straight from Africa especially before 1776 when all of them, Barbados, Georgia and SC. were British Colonies. It was easier to acclimate the native Africans to Barbados where the weather was similar, and to adjust to a life of chattel slavery off on the islands off of the continent of North America, before experiencing the winters on the continent.

Slaves on the western parts of these states were usually bought down from Virginia and what is now Western Virginia. Many of these slaves were already here on the continent of North America for a few generations, however most of these also came from Barbados originally and not straight from Africa.

The food from Barbados is the most similar to the food that US Southerners eat, out of all the Caribbean islands. After leaving Barbados they had to adapt to the natural growing foods of the southern US, or only eat the foods that could grow in the US from Barbados.
Barbados used to be a slave depot for all 13 british American colonies, Canada, Jamaica and Bahamas.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Barbados used to be a slave depot for all 13 british American colonies, Canada, Jamaica and Bahamas.
Yes. The connections are clear.

Slavery and the Making of America . The Slave Experience: Legal Rights & Gov't | PBS

"The South Carolina act was based upon the slave codes of Barbados and became the prototype for other American colonies writing black oppression into law."

Old 03-11-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Yes. The connections are clear.

Slavery and the Making of America . The Slave Experience: Legal Rights & Gov't | PBS

"The South Carolina act was based upon the slave codes of Barbados and became the prototype for other American colonies writing black oppression into law."
Barbados is the nearest British colony that is close to Africa geographically at the time during the slave trade well up into British acquired places such as Guyana, Falklands and Trinidad, Ascension Island and other territories which are not that far from Africa, by then the Industrial Revolution was gearing up and the British abolished slavery and the slave trade early on the 19th century. Prior to the American and Industrial revolution most of slaves exported out of Africa by the British stepped foot out on Barbados. I know some Barbadians who told me that most African Americans stem for Barbados because plenty of African slaves were born and raised before being sold to Georgia, North and South Carolinas, hell even New York Colony. I know that when the British abolished slavery plenty of Barbadians were used as laborers throughout parts of Latin America. For example plenty of Barbadians were used to build the Panama Canal. Also large numbers of Barbadians came to Guyana after the British abolished slavery. Plenty of Afro Barbadians over time intermarried with Afro Guyanese.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:17 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Jews, but also Arabs, Asians and to some degree Hispanics are bit different from blacks, to some degree non Episcopalian Anglo whites and Native Americans when it comes to economics. One these folks have a dollar today, and get paid a dollar tomorrow, they are not going to spend that dollar right away. Jews, Arabs, South Asians, East Asiants et al will save their dollar for the next day or even for the next week and will have multiple dollars, which can be used for other more important purchases like education, a home, or even health. Blacks Americans, Native Americans and to some degree non Episcopalian Anglo whites will spend every dollar of every day into oblivion, and when the time comes, their is no money for more important things like education, no money for doctor, no money for legal services such as fines, or facing imprisonment and cant pay for a lawyer or pay bail.
Stereotyping much? There's a lot of poverty too among certain quarters of Jewish and Asian people in NYC. Basically in order to seriously think about saving you need to make a lot of money.

And by the way, you do have Blacks who work on Wall Street. Obviously you have lots of Anglo Saxon whites who work on Wall Street.

Stop saying Black people=Stupid or your friends in the hood represent all Blacks in the world.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I agree.

There is nothing "Afrocentric" about a black person supporting another black person's business.

A silly argument at best.
Why should I support a black person's business if it sucks? I would support any business if it's a good business or offers services and products I like.

With that said, I am not going out of my way to support any business because of the color of the skin of the owner. I have no reason too.

Insisting Black people must do business with Black people is ghettoization. And I'm not down with that. If you are, fine.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillystress215 View Post
There nothing afrocentric about practicing economic sanity. What is afrocentric about controlling the businesses and laws where you live? No ralllies, bizarre religious practices, no African garments, just men and women doing business with their own. All in the name of their own self interest the same way the Jews, Asian and Hispanics do. Is that you definition of afrocentrism?

And I'm not interested in ghettoization, but if that's how some of you want to live, fine.

"Ghettoziation" Wow. This says all how you more feel about Black people and being Black. Anyways, you've been lead to the water. Bye![/quote]

Except it's not economic sanity. It's my money that I spend, not the Black race's. The Blacks don't pay my bills, buy me clothes, feed me, etc. I owe another Black person no special loyalty, ESPECIALLY when it comes to who I do business with.

Come up with a good business plan and offer good products and services and people will come regardless of race.

Ghetto is where a historically unwanted people were dumped. I'm not interested in the 1970s NYC, where immigrants opened up busted up shops (Asians and Hispanics) in neighborhoods where whites fled to in the suburbanization era. In case you haven't noticed all over the city those small businesses are being replaced by Duane Reades/WalGreens, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, major bank branches, and other major retailers). Landlords rent out to stores who can pay the most money. Customers of all races shop at the places that offer them products and services they like at the best price they can get.

The neighborhood I grew up in, Jackson Heights, is having immigrant businesses displaced by Starbucks, Dunkin Donots, LaFamiglia, Staples, WalGreen's, Duane Reade/Walgreens, Rite Aid, CVS, some new chain grocery stores, T-Mobile stores, Bank of America, etc. There are now plans to build a new mega mall in the area.

And this is happening all over the city and indeed all over the country in every big city.

You're asking Blacks to do something which is failing for Hispanics and Asians.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Why should I support a black person's business if it sucks? I would support any business if it's a good business or offers services and products I like.

With that said, I am not going out of my way to support any business because of the color of the skin of the owner. I have no reason too.

Insisting Black people must do business with Black people is ghettoization. And I'm not down with that. If you are, fine.
My post wasn't about black businesses with poor service or if it overall sucks.

I just said it doesn't make it "Afrocentric" as you said and that there is nothing wrong with a black person supporting a black business. I have shopped at a variety of places and stores from low end to upscale that hold my interest.

A black person can SHOP where ever the heck they want just like anyone else.

Or perhaps maybe you think I believe that supporting a black owned business will specifically empower black people.

No. I don't.

But I am aware of the economic weakness of black people. Yes, this is very TRUE. Obviously she is aware of that also.

Corporate chains will likely continue to their takeover in NYC anyway...and the average New Yorker will likely continue to throw their dollars at them with mom and pop stores and other small businesses struggling with their high rents and taxes.

Last edited by Relaxx; 03-11-2014 at 07:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City