Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 06:55 AM

809 posts, read 1,273,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I am careful with everything I own, right down to the crappy 79 cent mugs from IKEA. But I also had the bad experience of my last pair of Gucci sunglasses being literally snatched off of the table I was dining at when my back was turned. That is not a joke. They were right next to me inches from my plate, I turned around for two seconds and they were gone. I trust myself. It's other people that are the problem.
Just out of curiosity, how much did those Gucci sunglasses cost you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 07:14 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Anyone here buying the Prada etc. also buying a Hastens bed? You know, the $25,000 beds?
It'll last much longer than your normal bed. Probably. Problem is that 1) you can't carry it around on the street and 2) no-one you know knows what a Hastens is, so they wouldn't be impressed.

Guess what - you won't buy it, because your motivation for buying these items is the perceived status you think you are acquiring. "hi-quality" is a red-herring - a salve that you are applying to justify what you know deep down to be a preposterous price. Sure there is hi-quality verus low-quality - but you can identify hi-quality at middle prices when you are not paying for the trademark.

Last edited by bg7; 09-19-2013 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 09-19-2013, 07:15 AM

106,665 posts, read 108,810,853 times
I need one of those temperpedic beds . my wife likes to drink wine in bed while I jump up and down.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:59 AM

706 posts, read 1,042,118 times
i would say don't live beyond your means. Why would you want to live beneath your means? If you have the purchasing power without going into debt then by all means splurge yourself. Remember, you could die today and there is no company that can wire your assets to you into the next life.

Enjoy life today within your means!

Old 09-19-2013, 08:28 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
I say if you can afford it, and it doesn't put you in the hole financially, then go for it. Life it too short.

Like I always say, you can't take it with you when you die.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:48 AM

5,121 posts, read 4,969,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I need one of those temperpedic beds . my wife likes to drink wine in bed while I jump up and down.
Just get a bedside trembling...both happy now and probably costs less.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I say if you can afford it, and it doesn't put you in the hole financially, then go for it. Life it too short.

Like I always say, you can't take it with you when you die.

Don't you think of leaving something for your offsprings? What do you suggest the super rich do with their fortune?

Old 09-19-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I sleep very well on the floor with just a pillow

No back aches, nothing. Guests and the girlfriend use the bed in my apartment. That's how much I use my own bed.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSurfer View Post
i would say don't live beyond your means. Why would you want to live beneath your means? If you have the purchasing power without going into debt then by all means splurge yourself. Remember, you could die today and there is no company that can wire your assets to you into the next life.

Enjoy life today within your means!

It is also cultural. Most asian cultures encourage living beneath your means, to be prepared for the rainy days, mostly because of the lack of social welfare system there to fall back on.

From what I see, the african culture in large goes in the other direction...not sure why..they do not have any good social support either.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
It is also cultural. Most asian cultures encourage living beneath your means, to be prepared for the rainy days, mostly because of the lack of social welfare system there to fall back on.

From what I see, the african culture in large goes in the other direction...not sure why..they do not have any good social support either.
That is not the real reason though it's true there is no tangible social welfare system.

It's considered shameful and personally deprecatory and this value is instilled in the minds of children.

However, here people who live on welfare wear gucci shoes and have apple products. Their facebook walls will never tell you they are on welfare. They will even make you a little envious . That kind of cloak is easier to put in this side of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City