Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 09:57 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,003,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I do think there is anti-semiticism, no idea how common but I doubt very much that it is limited to Brooklyn.

Ironically, organizations such as the Photo League, which included many (mostly, perhaps) Jewish people photographed in Harlem, had great respect for the culture. And of course, many Jewish people were involved in the Civil Rights Movement.
Prejudice of any kind is wrong.

With that said, the people in NYC ghettos certainly have lives there have gotten far worse since they moved to NYC from wherever. Mind you, it is their choice to stay. Perhaps they are equating liberalism with being Jewish (its false, you can be Republican and Jewish) and really lashing out at failed liberal policies that created the ghetto. All this aide to the poor made people poor and just concentrated the poor and criminals together in very dumpy circumstances. Also, the false charity of NYC liberals (massive amounts of non profits) certainly won't endear anyone to anyone. Yes, they do give out lots of help. Crumbs. And the crumbs they give out end up worsening neighborhoods, making it far worse for working class people trying to get by honestly.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:04 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,937,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

The idea that a bunch of NYC liberals came to a bunch of marches in the South and somehow rescued the inhabitants is utterly ridiculous.
Not sure who said that. Conversely imagination is always, I dunno, interesting ...? I guess.

Any case. In fact, you are in error. A certain body of literature interprets the Jewish involvement in the Civil Rights Movement as exploitative - with, of course, the fact that many (most ?) of the white participants in the movement were Jewish as a significant basis. The smarter versions of that ilk point out their political motivations and goals, the more stupid and senseless draw on logic quite similar to that of the "Jew ranter" I described above.

Of course, I was not there, grandmother was though.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:25 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,221,590 times
A couple animals arrested in Philly:

15-Year-Old Arrested In Northeast Philadelphia ‘Knockout’ Attack « CBS Philly

Quote:
Someone asked me for a cigarette and by the time I got my hands out my pocket, I was getting hit by four kids,” Mark Cumberland explained.

Cumberland said he is still having difficulty seeing and has trouble breathing and swallowing.

“There’s no reason at all. I mean, I didn’t get robbed, they didn’t take nothing from me. They just beat me up.”

----

I thought the "game" was to KO someone with one punch. Did they amend the rules to include multiple people jumping in after the original limp wristed ***** wasn't even able to knock down a completely unprepared elderly person with a sucker punch?

****ing cowardly pieces of ****. Put em down like rabid dogs please.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:40 AM

Sharpton has weighed in:

Sharpton Speaks Out Against 'Knockout' Trend - NY1

Old 11-24-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Perhaps they are equating liberalism with being Jewish (its false, you can be Republican and Jewish) and really lashing out at failed liberal policies that created the ghetto.
Do you really think everyone has this level of awareness ? Would that they did, but I do not think so.
The working-class people I know certainly do. But they aren't ranting about Jews on the sidewalk, or at least not that I have seen.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:47 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,003,647 times
Quote:
Not sure who said that. Conversely imagination is always, I dunno, interesting ...? I guess.

Any case. In fact, you are in error. A certain body of literature interprets the Jewish involvement in the Civil Rights Movement as exploitative - with, of course, the fact that many (most ?) of the white participants in the movement were Jewish as a significant basis. The smarter versions of that ilk point out their political motivations and goals, the more stupid and senseless draw on logic quite similar to that of the "Jew ranter" I described above.

Of course, I was not there, grandmother was though.
The most significant white participant in the civil rights movement was Lyndon Johnson, and he assuredly was not Jewish. But he signed the bill into law, and his administration eagerly enforced it. The federal judiciary deserves a certain amount of credit too for striking down unconstitutional laws.

I'm not denying that there were Jewish people in the civil rights movement.

But they were not the chief architects or participants. The people who did things like organize the Montgomery bus boycott were Black Southerners. No one who was there speaks of significant involvement in that.

I think Jewish activists came when it it was time to register people to vote or on the marches, and at certain other points.

In the early 20th century, Ivy League universities discriminated against Jewish applicants. The civil rights bill outlawed discrimination on the basis of race, religion, nationality,etc. So of course Jewish people would have been happy it passed, they benefitted from it along with many other groups (you have had ethnic discrimination among whites). So I think Jewish activists certainly saw the benefits to themselves and that played a big part in why they participated. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:17 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,325,834 times
Quote:
Knockout occurs in many more places than Brooklyn. It isn't directed towards Jews. Its done by whoever is perceived to be vulnerable.

In order to stir up racial controversy, you conveniently ignore this is a national problem and you also ignore that there are plenty of victims of crime in Brooklyn of all races.

Since this is a criminal problem in a number of places, I have no idea what went on in the minds of the people who did knockouts to in NYC.
Sorry, but I care more about the incidents in Brooklyn because they take place closer to my current residence and in areas that I am in often. I could care less about the incidents in the other parts of both this city and this country because they have little chance of having any effect on me. For this I guess I'm just a racist troll. Oh well. I'm still bias against you and your posts because (i) you are a know-it-all that only tells people about the World as seen through your blind eyes and thoughts through your high IQ brain without providing any factual data points and (ii) you are a fool.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-25-2013 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 11-24-2013, 12:00 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,117,558 times
Quote:
If you go to primary sources (ie, the people who were living in the South at the time of the civil rights movement) they certainly don't mention many Jews. People like Rosa Parks speak about how her father watched over their family with a shot gun at night, at the height of the Klu Klux Klan's power.

Of course, after Congress passed the bill, it was Lyndon Johnson, a Texan protestant, who signed the civil rights bill into law. As President, he was ultimately the white person who did the most for civil rights. He and knew full well the consequences. Johnson himself said we've delivered the South to the Republican party for a long time. Still, Johnson deserves the credit for that. The Democratic party's working class base in those days were Northern unions and Southern KKK Democrats like George Wallace. Those people are now tea party people.

The idea that a bunch of NYC liberals came to a bunch of marches in the South and somehow rescued the inhabitants is utterly ridiculous.
LBJ dident give two ****s about the Black people. It was a political move. It was all about buying votes via entitlement programs.

As soon as he signed the bill and the cameras went away he turned to his Chief of Staff and said "We have lost the South forever, but now we got them dumb n-----s voting Democratic for the next 200 years!"

In fact the Civil Rights Act of 1964 has DESTROYED the Black family. Have we really made any progress when 73% of Black babies are born out of wedlock or when only 20% of Blacks have even an Associate's Degree?

Old 11-24-2013, 01:43 PM

235 posts, read 374,276 times
Quote:
This is great!! Now we need Black celebrities (Rappers? Entertainers?) where most of these Black youth seem to look up to, to speak about this issue. This needs to stop.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
LBJ dident give two ****s about the Black people. It was a political move. It was all about buying votes via entitlement programs.

As soon as he signed the bill and the cameras went away he turned to his Chief of Staff and said "We have lost the South forever, but now we got them dumb n-----s voting Democratic for the next 200 years!"

In fact the Civil Rights Act of 1964 has DESTROYED the Black family. Have we really made any progress when 73% of Black babies are born out of wedlock or when only 20% of Blacks have even an Associate's Degree?
Must agree ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City