Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 10:06 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
I don't know about that. It's .29 combined with supply and delivery charges. Then factor in the taxes, surcharges, and other bull they add. I think most of it is the fact that I am unemployed so I'm here ALL the time. That means TV running often. My GF works overnights so by the time I fall asleep, she comes home and turns the TV on again. Then it shuts off for a couple hours until I wake up. We used the heater a bunch when the heat wasn't kicking on only because my daughter will cry if it gets chilly in her room. Just crazy how much they charge per kWh here.
Now you understand why so few homes in NY use electric for anything other than appliances. Cooking, heating, hot water, etc... are all off either gas and or oil. Assume there are places with electric and or dual fuel ranges/ovens but can only guess how they keep the electric bills down or perhaps just don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I don't understand why the supply charges (charges for electricity) vary so greatly month to month. For example in September the supply charge was 8 cents per kWh. In October the supply charge was 12 cents per kWh. That's a 50% increase in one month. It's not a rate increase as I notice these large price changes happen often.
IIRC supply is what Con Edison pays to purchase electricity since it no longer generates it's own. That number will be affected by many variables including the cost of production for those generating the power. Natural gas prices have been inching upwards from their rock bottom lows of last year due to the early and persistent arrival of cold weather.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:49 AM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Now you understand why so few homes in NY use electric for anything other than appliances. Cooking, heating, hot water, etc... are all off either gas and or oil. Assume there are places with electric and or dual fuel ranges/ovens but can only guess how they keep the electric bills down or perhaps just don't care.
I remember that my sister had a place on 101st in Bay Ridge. It was a very small apartment, however everything ran on electricity. Her electric bills were astronomical.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:25 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:

only problem is they don't control prices the worlds markets do.
I knew I would get a belly-laugh today.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Now you understand why so few homes in NY use electric for anything other
than appliances. Cooking, heating, hot water, etc... are all off either gas and
or oil.
Thermodynamically speaking, heat is a very low class energy...ALL energy converts to heat. High class energy is electricity which, yes, converts to heat but first, can give light, run computers, televisions, X-ray machines and pacemakers.

NEVER make heat with elecrtricity unless you are freezing to death...or RICH.

If your landlord is a slimy cheapskate, turn on the stove to keep warm. (Methane burns clean so don't worry too much about carbon monoxide....open a window a little.)

Old 12-29-2013, 10:51 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I just got me electric bill for this month, 82 bucks.
same apt, same everything other than a computer. 25 years ago my electric was 25 bucks.

con ed is the biggest rip off here in new York.
absolutely criminal what they do to us.

then the nerve the return envelope has a saying "I used to be a tree".
like are you kidding, who cares.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:03 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I just got me electric bill for this month, 82 bucks.
same apt, same everything other than a computer. 25 years ago my electric was 25 bucks.

con ed is the biggest rip off here in new York.
absolutely criminal what they do to us.

then the nerve the return envelope has a saying "I used to be a tree".
like are you kidding, who cares.
Your right. If they want people to go paperless to save the world, they should offer a discount.
They save money by not mailing to you so you should to.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:27 PM

298 posts, read 706,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
FYI we pay the highest rates in the country, and Con Edison is asking for a rate increase. In about 2-3 years I am installing solar panels so I can rely as little as possible on Con Ed and their crazy rates.
Hawaii is higher. They need to ship oil over on a boat to generate electricity. Probably Alaska too because of delivery issues.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Thermodynamically speaking, heat is a very low class energy...ALL energy converts to heat. High class energy is electricity which, yes, converts to heat but first, can give light, run computers, televisions, X-ray machines and pacemakers.

NEVER make heat with elecrtricity unless you are freezing to death...or RICH.

If your landlord is a slimy cheapskate, turn on the stove to keep warm. (Methane burns clean so don't worry too much about carbon monoxide....open a window a little.)
Never, ever, ever, *EVER* suggest persons use their range or oven as a heat source. Each year there are deaths caused by fires and or carbon monoxide poisoning, and so forth associated with using cooking appliances for heating.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Never, ever, ever, *EVER* suggest persons use their range or oven as a heat source. Each year there are deaths caused by fires and or carbon monoxide poisoning, and so forth associated with using cooking appliances for heating.

But carbon monoxide is rarely a problem with gas ranges. That's why there is no need for chimneys on them and rarely is a family wiped out on Thanksgiving while roasting a turkey.

Anyone dumb enough to start a fire with a gas stove is also too dumb to cook with them and should probably go to a heated hotel and have the hotel cook a meal.

Normal people can use a gas stove safely. If anyone feels he cannot use a gas stove safely, of course he should not. Of course, one should obey the law and have a carbon monoxide tester in the house. It will signal any unsafe level.

Heatwise, a small gas burner is about 9000 BTU/hr. An electric heater is about 5000. So one burner is almost 2 heaters.

Last edited by Kefir King; 12-30-2013 at 08:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City