Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 12:41 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,909,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Even in SE Queens?
I don't think most of SE Queens is a bad area at all, however, I think it can do a lot more to improve it's aesthetics. If it would:
- Ban chain-link fences
- Replace the storefront metal gates with "chain-gates"
- Ban bars over windows (i guess bars over doors are not that bad)
- Make the main roads more appealing w/more vibrant stores
- Improve public school performance (I know, easier said than done)

Seeing this is common in most SE Queens neighborhoods but Cambria Heights&Laurelton don't have it as bad. Before anyone says anything, I know not all homes or even most homes in SE Queens have these flaws; but many still do which ruin it for the whole block.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 04-27-2014 at 12:54 PM..

Old 04-27-2014, 12:41 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I rather be a poor/working class black person in NYC than a well-off black person in NYC. At least you'd be in good company.

As a so-called "upper middle class black person" raised in the suburbs, I feel really outcasted when I visit NYC. Yes, there's black ppl in NYC making good incomes but even when this is the case, I still feel like the level of actual "class" still usually isn't there when it comes to mannerisms and habits.

As a black person, it's hard to get a middle class quality of life in NYC; which is why once many black ppl "make it" then they leave out to the suburbs or leave the region altogether. Even the better black areas of NYC tend to have poor-quality schools and it's common to see chain-link fences, bars on doors (and sometimes even windows) as well as a neglected main street. I can't feel well-off living around that.
Utter nonsense. If a Black person is well off he can live where he/she wants to and does not have to limit himself to Black people. There'd be no "outcasting". Kenneth Chenault, CEO of American Express doesn't worry about what ghetto people might say. He's too busy being the CEO of a fortune 500 company.

Jay Z doesn't worry about what people might say. He's too busy making millions. Leuticia James has settled into her role of public advocate.

There are a number of well off Black people in NYC and no they do not have to live in "Black" areas. Being "Black" doesn't mean you're a robot attached to other Blacks or that you would enter or hang out in poor areas or even Black areas. New York City has people from all around the world. Learn to socialize with all types of people and stop making things Black and White and you'll enjoy the city much better.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Utter nonsense. If a Black person is well off he can live where he/she wants to and does not have to limit himself to Black people. There'd be no "outcasting". Kenneth Chenault, CEO of American Express doesn't worry about what ghetto people might say. He's too busy being the CEO of a fortune 500 company.

Jay Z doesn't worry about what people might say. He's too busy making millions. Leuticia James has settled into her role of public advocate.

There are a number of well off Black people in NYC and no they do not have to live in "Black" areas. Being "Black" doesn't mean you're a robot attached to other Blacks or that you would enter or hang out in poor areas or even Black areas. New York City has people from all around the world. Learn to socialize with all types of people and stop making things Black and White and you'll enjoy the city much better.
By well-off, I was referring to middle class&upper middle class everyday ppl; not filthy rich 1%'ers making millions. They're always gonna have it good.

Like the families making in the neighborhood of $90-$250k.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 04-27-2014 at 12:58 PM..

Old 04-27-2014, 01:57 PM

72 posts, read 124,911 times
Instead asking e question with a "Why", we should ask "How" or "What". What can be done to make NYC affordable to everyone? How can we achieve happiness and prosperity? I'm white person but I believe that there is enough room for everyone in New York.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
By well-off, I was referring to middle class&upper middle class everyday ppl; not filthy rich 1%'ers making millions. They're always gonna have it good.

Like the families making in the neighborhood of $90-$250k.
If you're upper middle class you aren't limited to "Black" areas, or for that matter if you're middle class. Again, Blacks are not robots who are cybernetically attracted to other Blacks like the Borg are mindlinked to each other.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn2007 View Post
Instead asking e question with a "Why", we should ask "How" or "What". What can be done to make NYC affordable to everyone? How can we achieve happiness and prosperity? I'm white person but I believe that there is enough room for everyone in New York.
Repped. We should be asking how to make NYC more affordable to everyone.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
If you're upper middle class you aren't limited to "Black" areas, or for that matter if you're middle class. Again, Blacks are not robots who are cybernetically attracted to other Blacks like the Borg are mindlinked to each other.
I know that.... i'm referring to the preference of many blacks to still be around at least some other blacks of their same social class. If your an upper middle class black person then most of that preference would not be met within the NYC limits.

It's natural for most ppl to have a preference to live around at least some ppl who they would consider to be the most relatable to them, regardless of their background.

If this wasn't the case then Floral Park wouldn't be 80%+ white and Cambria Heights wouldn't be 80%+ black despite both communities being socioeconomically similar to each other. A lot of LGBT's are attracted to "The Village" and "Chelsea" for this very same reason.

Yes, of course there are exceptions.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I know that.... i'm referring to the preference of many blacks to still be around at least some other blacks of their same social class. If your an upper middle class black person then most of that preference would not be met within the NYC limits.

It's natural for most ppl to have a preference to live around at least some ppl who they would consider to be the most relatable to them, regardless of their background.

If this wasn't the case then Floral Park wouldn't be 80%+ white and Cambria Heights wouldn't be 80%+ black despite both communities being socioeconomically similar to each other. A lot of LGBT's are attracted to "The Village" and "Chelsea" for this very same reason.

Yes, of course there are exceptions.
Not even.

I recall when if Blacks entered certain white neighborhoods they'd get jumped. As late as the 80s. Blacks were by en large pushed into the ****tiest parts of town, not just in NYC, but in any other city.

Those days are gone. In any city I'm afraid if you want a better quality of life it will not be found in a predominately Black area, though it can be found in a mixed area.

The West Village and Chelsea are not predominately gay. Most people and most businesses in those neighborhoods are straight, though these neighborhoods remain among the few neighborhoods that actually have gay bars. But gays who patronize those establishments live all over NYC and NYC. Those two Manhattan neighborhoods are simply convenient meeting places for people. But nearly every gay person who can afford the expensive drinks in those places has a substantial life out of the gay bar scene, both personally and professionally.

Don't just to justify your own racism by hiding behind "natural preferences." If in fact you are well off, associate with well off people regardless of color and you'll have much better experiences.

I graduated from an Ivy League school. Would I hang out with someone from the housing projects who dropped of high school because we're both Black? Absolutely not. What do those people think of educated people? I neither know nor care as my world does not revolve around what ghetto people think or do. I prefer to hang out with other reasonably educated people.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Not even.

I recall when if Blacks entered certain white neighborhoods they'd get jumped. As late as the 80s. Blacks were by en large pushed into the ****tiest parts of town, not just in NYC, but in any other city.

Those days are gone. In any city I'm afraid if you want a better quality of life it will not be found in a predominately Black area, though it can be found in a mixed area.

The West Village and Chelsea are not predominately gay. Most people and most businesses in those neighborhoods are straight, though these neighborhoods remain among the few neighborhoods that actually have gay bars. But gays who patronize those establishments live all over NYC and NYC. Those two Manhattan neighborhoods are simply convenient meeting places for people. But nearly every gay person who can afford the expensive drinks in those places has a substantial life out of the gay bar scene, both personally and professionally.

Don't just to justify your own racism by hiding behind "natural preferences." If in fact you are well off, associate with well off people regardless of color and you'll have much better experiences.

I graduated from an Ivy League school. Would I hang out with someone from the housing projects who dropped of high school because we're both Black? Absolutely not. What do those people think of educated people? I neither know nor care as my world does not revolve around what ghetto people think or do. I prefer to hang out with other reasonably educated people.
According to the most recent census data, even most better-off Black Americans have a preference to not move to a white area despite having the means.

Here's a source that explains it more in depth: Richer minorities seen living in poorer neighborhoods - USATODAY.com

Old 04-27-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
According to the most recent census data, even most better-off Black Americans have a preference to not move out despite having the means.

Here's a source that explains it more in depth: Richer minorities seen living in poorer neighborhoods - USATODAY.com
75k is not well off in NYC. It's the bare minimum you need to get by without having multiple roommates. 75k buys you a house in Eastern Queens or North Bronx where you do have many Blacks who have civil service union jobs. They stay because these are the only neighborhoods in the city where they can AFFORD to buy property that are not total GHETTOS. Richer Blacks (CEOs, Entertainers, A list lawyers, A list bankers, major business people, top doctors) move out. Ditto top politicians.

In no part of the US can 75k be called richer, not even in the poorest states. Clearly it's a better than making 20k, but you are not rich on 75k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City