Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 12:40 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Because "minorities" are the predominate demographic that stats show do the shootings. Why is this so hard to understand?
"Minorities" are also the MAJORITY of the VOTERS in New York. That's partially why De Blasio was elected. That's why the city has settled out of court with the Stop and Frisk plaintiffs who sued to end the practice (backed by George Soros).

Also, a lot of the old school working class white Catholics and Jews bailed out of the city, and the newcomer whites aren't interested in being under martial law. And a lot of the people who would have strongly supported Giuliani back in the day are dead or in nursing homes.

So the city has changed. Ranting and raving won't undo the demographic changes or political changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldYork View Post
The end does not justify the means. Innocent men are being targeted. Yes you might catch or deter some criminals, but it's still not right. Imagine living with the threat of being frisked, a violating experience, every time you step outside.
The city has settled with the plaintiffs in the stop and frisk case and agreed to accept the judge's ruling that stop and frisk can only be done when someone has committed a crime, is actively committing a crime, or obviously about to commit a crime (having a crowbar outside a window of a place that you don't reside in).

What are your thoughts on the settlement?

Some people on this forum permanently have their minds made up for whatever reason, and that's fine . No real point in trying to change them.

But you can notice the things that are actively happening now, such as the city's settlement of the issue.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:00 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
...think Bronwsville and East New York), what will de Blasio do? He can't admit that he was wrong. So the slaughter will just go on.
A good "purge" in Brownsville and East New York would actually be a wonderful thing. Here's to hoping not too many innocent people get caught up in it.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:28 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldYork View Post
"Man up"? This coming from someone so scared you want people frisked daily. How about you man up and stop being afraid of every teenage boy in a hoody.
I aint scare of no ghetto a$$ thug or hood rat. Besides, the shootings/killings that occur are among other like-minded ghetto people. So at the end of the day the murders will happen to hood people. But since I can't stand ghetto a$$ people, I guess in a way I should be happy stop and fisked has been relaxed so ghetto folks can exterminate each other. Actually now that I think of it, I retrack my previous statement and support relaxing stop and fisk for the sake of lowering the ghetto demographic. Carry on!

Old 02-01-2014, 04:00 PM

38 posts, read 51,043 times
Why do you continue to have a conversation with one of the dumbest and most racist poster on this forum? Hilltojjay has his mind set on certain ideas no amount if facts will change that.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
But since I can't stand ghetto a$$ people, I guess in a way I should be happy stop and fisked has been relaxed so ghetto folks can exterminate each other. Actually now that I think of it, I retrack my previous statement and support relaxing stop and fisk for the sake of lowering the ghetto demographic. Carry on!
That was always a big part of the crime rate going down nationally from the late 80s/90s crack cocaine era. The worst of the worst killed each other off, overdosed on drugs, died from untreated diseases, etc. There are consequences to living certain lifestyles.

And that's also why cities concentrate underclass people in certain parts of town, for the same reason you support lowering stop and frisk.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:15 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
S & F was found unconstitutional, and the people of NY through their elected officials decided not to purse the case higher up the food chain (of courts.)

But it still does not absolve NYPD and the Mayor from the responsibility of keeping the City safe.

The solution is not for people to leave the Bronx, but for NYPD to make it safer with other methods, not S & F. Isn't that what we're paying NYPD for?

Old 02-01-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
S & F was found unconstitutional, and the people of NY through their elected officials decided not to purse the case higher up the food chain (of courts.)

But it still does not absolve NYPD and the Mayor from the responsibility of keeping the City safe.

The solution is not for people to leave the Bronx, but for NYPD to make it safer with other methods, not S & F. Isn't that what we're paying NYPD for?
Yes, to make it safer by other methods. But let's be real. Stop and frisk did not clear up all the crime in the Bronx. Nor will any other policing method. Wherever you have lots of poor people concentrated you are always going to have issues with crime. It is what it is. If you don't want to deal with the issues in the Bronx, then don't live there.

I used to live there, didn't like it, and moved. Hell will freeze over before I ever live in the Bronx again. I don't care what plans the city allegedly has to make it better, I'm not hanging around a dump to see if the plans work or not.

And by the way, plenty of people who had the means to do so fled poor neighborhoods when crime and drugs became issues (as well as overall quality of life).

Old 02-01-2014, 07:21 PM

250 posts, read 269,430 times
Instead of waiting a year or two to judge how this current mayor and this police department post Bloomberg are handling crime in the city (which is what a smart and reasonable person would do), the OP, the Post and some on this thread just can't help themselves.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:11 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,893 times
The results of this decision will probably show this summer. I can't imagine it being pretty. :-/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: