Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 01:49 PM

579 posts, read 945,817 times

Advertisements

I think it will be fine. It will probably be filled with FU students and other people waiting for Metro North trains and busses that stop at Fordham Plaza. Why all the drama? Fordham Road has been slowly changing for years. Now that East Fordham Road has been rezoned to allow for taller residential buildings with street level commercial space, you won't recognize it in five to ten years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 02:30 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Starbucks makes mistakes with site locations.

Several years ago they opened on Mamaroneck Avenue in Mamaroneck, which is a very hot area. The problem was and is that parking stinks.

Nobody was going to drive around for five minutes looking for a parking space to get coffee. So they quickly folded, and probably learned a good lesson - coffee places in the 'burbs need lots of available and close parking.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:52 PM

579 posts, read 945,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Starbucks makes mistakes with site locations.

Several years ago they opened on Mamaroneck Avenue in Mamaroneck, which is a very hot area. The problem was and is that parking stinks.

Nobody was going to drive around for five minutes looking for a parking space to get coffee. So they quickly folded, and probably learned a good lesson - coffee places in the 'burbs need lots of available and close parking.
I agree but that doesn't apply to the Fordham Road area. Most of the business will be from foot traffic. I think this location will succeed.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:36 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalChubsta View Post
UGH! Not again! The first time around it was a FAIL! I guess now they really want to shove it down peoples throats! So overrated .. Bring something else - perhaps something for kids or maybe a nice cafe. more variety of stores than the rinky dinky ones-
They are also building this pizza place called Pizza Studio. This is national chain mostly out west, I don't think they have any other stores in NYC. I looked through their site, apparently their angle is that you can get pretty much anything you want toppings wise from their menu on your pizza for a flat price. Interesting that they picked that spot to be their first place. The locals here love the $5 little ceasar plain pies but this place is maybe only a buck or two more and probably has better quality ingredients.

http://pizzastudio.com/

Old 06-09-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
Rarely if ever go to starbucks cuz it sucks?

Besides locals will say its too expensive damn straight majority will be FU students only if its close enough though.
The better location would be near the residential area where all the college kids and white locals live. Probably had problems getting a leases on Arthur avenue. A better spot would have been a place on campus.
Yeah because only white people buy starbucks.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
I think it will be fine. It will probably be filled with FU students and other people waiting for Metro North trains and busses that stop at Fordham Plaza. Why all the drama? Fordham Road has been slowly changing for years. Now that East Fordham Road has been rezoned to allow for taller residential buildings with street level commercial space, you won't recognize it in five to ten years.
People from that office building at 1 fordham plaza will also use it. They are putting up a new subway restaurant and I noticed it's going to have an additional entrance from the office building. I wonder if the Starbucks will also have that kind of layout?

Old 06-09-2014, 08:26 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,403 times
It was a fail because no one wants to sip on coffee and relax when their being annoyed by the homeless. The staff wan't ready for those kind of vagrants. You had the garden variety beggars/junkies looking crazy and then you had the hustlers/junkies coming with their fake Montefiore IDs asking for you to give them a loan etc. It was terrible. A lot of the staff in the stores are ghetto and rude and you have to hand over your bags like a criminal because there is so much theft.

Unless Fordham has change a lot I don't see how this will make a difference. Going to Fordham Rd to shop is like visiting a 3rd world country and if you have other options you will usually take them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalChubsta View Post
UGH! Not again! The first time around it was a FAIL! I guess now they really want to shove it down peoples throats! So overrated .. Bring something else - perhaps something for kids or maybe a nice cafe. more variety of stores than the rinky dinky ones-

Last edited by Jasper03; 06-09-2014 at 08:42 AM..

Old 06-09-2014, 08:30 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
Quote:
what the area could use is a boutique or four star hotel. With GCT under 20 minutes to midtown the place would be a goldmine.
I agree. The Bronx finally is getting a Marriott Hotel in the East BX. People having weddings or other parties at The Marina Del Rey or Villa Barone have to travel into Manh. or Westchester for lodging. A nice hotel on Fordham would do well IMO.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:52 AM

503 posts, read 899,198 times
Quote:
I agree but that doesn't apply to the Fordham Road area. Most of the business will be from foot traffic. I think this location will succeed.
Yeah I think so too. Trust me, you can't thrive on parking when it comes to this area. Had to work at the plaza several times and got a ticket once. Just awful.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:53 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Yeah because only white people buy starbucks.
Go to any Starbucks whether it be the one near Brooklyn tech, Bergen st, near 42nd street, the one on 75th st UES, the one in Harlem, Yonkers on Central Ave, one near White Plains Terminal, anyone located in a gentrified area......cafe shops attract people who are usually in white collar professions. Most who occupy white collar professions are white.

Anyway, main issue is that they charge too much for coffee and so locals do not like it. Why pay $2-$4 for a cup of coffee when the locals sell it for $1-$1.50? Tastes tests have shown that it is only slightly better than McDonalds coffee so you are getting ripped off. Most go to Starbucks cuz its convenient.

I remember riding the Metro and one lady who lives in Fordham was amazed at how nice the metro-north trains were. That's right folks she called these filthy trains nice. Then she went on to say that she rather spend $2.50 to take the subway to Woodlawn instead of paying $3 on the metro. That is the type of community they are dealing with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City