Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2018, 12:59 PM

6 posts, read 4,990 times

Advertisements

My first exam ever. Tomorrow can someone give me an idea of what to expect... do they have a place to store the my cellphone....if I am done earlier than 4 hrs can i leave? Do they start promptly at the time of admission or a little afterwards? I have to plan for childcare and just not certain how to guage enough time to allot from the time I show up to when test is done.

Also do they give you results right away? A bit nervous given I didn't do that union prep thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 02:06 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ0812 View Post
My first exam ever. Tomorrow can someone give me an idea of what to expect... do they have a place to store the my cellphone....if I am done earlier than 4 hrs can i leave? Do they start promptly at the time of admission or a little afterwards? I have to plan for childcare and just not certain how to guage enough time to allot from the time I show up to when test is done.

Also do they give you results right away? A bit nervous given I didn't do that union prep thing.

No, just turn off your phone.

You leave as soon as you are done. Test starts about 0.5 to 1 hour from scheduled time.

Results won't be available until about 9 months to a year from test date.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:32 PM

22 posts, read 53,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ0812 View Post

For the SAT exam they gave us preliminary scores.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:03 PM

85 posts, read 91,484 times
You will also get preliminary score on the SA exam.

I took the exam yesterday. got 78 out of 80. I found it easier then the SAT exam. I finish and checked all questions and still have over 1.5 hours left.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:13 AM

The test score is not as important as your list number, so it's irrelevant to know your score on the test.

If it's an easy test, a large pool of applicants will score high as well. It's basically a curved test. The difference in 100 spots on the final list order can be just 1 question apart. Even a tied score amongst other test takers can be quite substantial if there's a lot of people taking the exam.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:33 AM

48 posts, read 79,605 times
Open Data is very useful, depending on the amount of research and analysis one does, definitely not guessing. I’ve been working for the city for more than 10 years and found that a majority of the unions provide unreliable information. Try getting up-to-date list info from your union shop steward. OSA seems to be one of the better unions, I give them that.

Like I mentioned before, the (5045) list was fully canvassed, and seems to have been exhausted. The fact that there are only five individuals left out of close to 900 eligibles, attest to the reliability of the information provided by Open Data. For me, the numbers speak for themselves.

On another note, I do wish all taking the exam the very best. My fiancé just came back and scored a 71 out of 80, which we are thrilled about! She mentioned, to know your basic statistics, percentages, basic standard deviation, grammar, and a little bit of payroll. Also, those that took the SAT exam will fare better on this exam.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:04 PM

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Really? Sheila is helpful? When I first went to the union for assistance and not knowing much, she belittle me and looking down at me like what is this person doing here. Not a good impression for me to start with the union. Ever since then, I never seek any advice or assistance from the union. I did my own research and go run around asking different people with the same questions, and compare it with my own independent research.

I’m pretty sure Sheila is helpful to some people, but the way how I was treated and greeted, I was like oh no....but that’s just my two cents.
That's my brosky nybklyn!

Old 11-15-2018, 12:08 PM

1,034 posts, read 672,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock1149 View Post
Open Data is very useful, depending on the amount of research and analysis one does, definitely not guessing. I’ve been working for the city for more than 10 years and found that a majority of the unions provide unreliable information. Try getting up-to-date list info from your union shop steward. OSA seems to be one of the better unions, I give them that.

Like I mentioned before, the (5045) list was fully canvassed, and seems to have been exhausted. The fact that there are only five individuals left out of close to 900 eligibles, attest to the reliability of the information provided by Open Data. For me, the numbers speak for themselves.

On another note, I do wish all taking the exam the very best. My fiancé just came back and scored a 71 out of 80, which we are thrilled about! She mentioned, to know your basic statistics, percentages, basic standard deviation, grammar, and a little bit of payroll. Also, those that took the SAT exam will fare better on this exam.
For standard deviation - they provide all formulas you need to use, so no prior knowledge is needed.
While there were questions that asked to calculate salaries, one does not need prior payroll knowledge to answer the questions.
Congrats to your fiancé !
Oh and the union did confirm that the 5045 list has been exhausted but they didn’t think this week’s exam will be certified sooner than usual ( hoping that they’re wrong )

Old 11-15-2018, 12:19 PM

Anyone taking the MTA transit management analyst exams next month by any chance?

Old 11-15-2018, 03:16 PM

Default ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
For standard deviation - they provide all formulas you need to use, so no prior knowledge is needed.
While there were questions that asked to calculate salaries, one does not need prior payroll knowledge to answer the questions.
Congrats to your fiancé !
Oh and the union did confirm that the 5045 list has been exhausted but they didn’t think this week’s exam will be certified sooner than usual ( hoping that they’re wrong )

Thank you Stevie! I saw that you killed the exam congrats to you as well!

I do want to point out, that at the end of the day the city, in most cases, will work at their usual brutally slow pace, but I have a hunch that this will be a rare occurrence, where the city will release an exam somewhat pre-mature, because the need is great. I don’t want to be overly optimistic, but it has been done in the past. Look at the Department of Correction, they have released exams early several times, and it was justified. Also, it works both ways. When the vacancy demand is low, DCAS would occasionally extend list, such as the PAA exam 8068.

Again you did very well! Hopefully you will be one of the first individuals requested to attend a city-wide hiring pool. Do you currently work for the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City