Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:53 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
Well I'm a fan of musical arts, I play drums and have written some of my own stuff, I even thought about putting a little hobbyist studio in my basement.

However I have a job that pays my bills, a music degree wouldn't pay my bills, my 2 year technical degree in mechanics and refrigeration pays my bills, see what I'm saying, I wasn't going to make 25 dollars an hour as a musician but I do make 25 dollars an hour as a service technician.

I love music, and the arts in general, but I was smart enough to realize that I also needed to make a living.
So yoy have no ability to make a living as a musician. Thats you. There are people who successfully have careers in music and who successfully use their music degrees, or training. I am sorry you didnt have a family with the resources to support you on thisand that you apparently have had a lifetime of ****ty labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 11:26 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,990 times
Your family is not supposed to support you the rest of your life, your supposed to be able to support yourself, that's how you grow into becoming a well rounded person. You're supposed to eventually let go of the apron string, move the hell out of your parents basement and become an adult making your own way.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:31 AM

I don't even know why I bother talking on this forum, you Millenials are something else thinking everyone owes you something. Thank god I moved out of New York many years ago, Generation X was the last of the great ones, we knew how to build success without excessive college debt and we were also better at life, we didn't need more school.

Smh...

Old 11-17-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Your family is not supposed to support you the rest of your life, your supposed to be able to support yourself, that's how you grow into becoming a well rounded person. You're supposed to eventually let go of the apron string, move the hell out of your parents basement and become an adult making your own way.
Dude, it took a fantastic amount of investment from the family in order for most successful people to happen. Someone paid for their college education, parents often used family connections and resources to boost their kids big time. I'm sorry you didn't get all this and you're such a bitter old man that younger people have opportunities denied to you.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I don't even know why I bother talking on this forum, you Millenials are something else thinking everyone owes you something. Thank god I moved out of New York many years ago, Generation X was the last of the great ones, we knew how to build success without excessive college debt and we were also better at life, we didn't need more school.

Smh...
And you can't afford NYC right now, and you wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell at the types of work that pay enough to afford the nice parts of the city.

That's the true problem, yellow with envy at younger people who have fantastic careers in the big city that you at this point in your life can only dream of. Weep on.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:06 PM

NyWriterDude, I was born and raised in rural New York right where Putnam and Northern Westchester meet. If I made 10 million a year I still wouldn't live in Manhattan, first of all I'm conservative, second of all I drive a Dodge truck and listen to country music with the exception of Pearl Jam, I love those guys. So being from the country and being conservative, why would I want to live in a liberal city? It's not my cup of tea, it never has been.

Going to Manhattan to visit and take in the sites sure it's a great place, but I would not live there, ever. If I had 10 million I would buy a farm, I went to school for a technical trade but I came very close to pursuing agriculture and farming. I had job in sales and did rather well but I lasted about 8 weeks, I was bored out of my mind, I was tired of phone calls and staring at computer screens. Somebody please get me the hell out of here, let me work outside and create something.

So now let's get down to the nitty gritty. Your attitude towards almost anybody on here is very condescending. You've refered to people as dumb, poor, ignorant, and it's really tyring. I was in the service and had 30,000 dollars to use toward any career path I wanted, I went into mechanics and refrigeration because I like going out into the field and working with my hands in order to create something . A cubicle 8 hours a day would make me suicidal.

I don't know you personally but it is my opinion that you think everyone should be exactly the same as you. Everybody is different, everyone chose their own careers for various reasons. There have been numerous articles written about these young bankers who bail on high profile jobs like junior bankers because the hours are killing them and they become miserable. So they go into other fields not solely for money but because it's something that is going to bring them true happiness.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
NyWriterDude, I was born and raised in rural New York right where Putnam and Northern Westchester meet. If I made 10 million a year I still wouldn't live in Manhattan, first of all I'm conservative, second of all I drive a Dodge truck and listen to country music with the exception of Pearl Jam, I love those guys. So being from the country and being conservative, why would I want to live in a liberal city? It's not my cup of tea, it never has been.

Going to Manhattan to visit and take in the sites sure it's a great place, but I would not live there, ever. If I had 10 million I would buy a farm, I went to school for a technical trade but I came very close to pursuing agriculture and farming. I had job in sales and did rather well but I lasted about 8 weeks, I was bored out of my mind, I was tired of phone calls and staring at computer screens. Somebody please get me the hell out of here, let me work outside and create something.

So now let's get down to the nitty gritty. Your attitude towards almost anybody on here is very condescending. You've refered to people as dumb, poor, ignorant, and it's really tyring. I was in the service and had 30,000 dollars to use toward any career path I wanted, I went into mechanics and refrigeration because I like going out into the field and working with my hands in order to create something . A cubicle 8 hours a day would make me suicidal.

I don't know you personally but it is my opinion that you think everyone should be exactly the same as you. Everybody is different, everyone chose their own careers for various reasons. There have been numerous articles written about these young bankers who bail on high profile jobs like junior bankers because the hours are killing them and they become miserable. So they go into other fields not solely for money but because it's something that is going to bring them true happiness.
So why are you posting on the NYC forum if you never had any interest in living here and if you need had any interest in living here.

Again, you go off on tangents that are now completely unrelated to anything on this forum. Totally off topic, dude.

Try again.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:07 PM

202 posts, read 265,376 times
Quote:
First of all all this debt is keeping young grads from purchasing homes, starting families, buying their first new car. Alot of grads move back in with their parents, they are failing to launch because they are being placed into a situation that is keeping them from being able to all because all they really wanted was a decent life for themselves so they went and financed a degree. The day they graduated the real world came along and gave them a kick in the pants.
I don't find this true from my experience. I'm a physical therapist and I have friends who are also physical therapists, physician assistants, pharmacists, occupational therapists, doctors, CPAs who have a lot of debt and still make enough money to live on their own, get married, and have children.

Anecdote, but I would say majority of my friends had their undergraduate education paid in all or mostly by their parents. However, their parents would make them go to a school they could afford, usually either a state school or a private school with partial scholarship/grant. For graduate and professional schooling, almost everyone I know (including myself) had to take out loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City