Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 11:57 AM

624 posts, read 983,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
That's an area to consider Broadway across from the park is also something to consider but Broadway isn't that quiet around up near Dyckman (or in general). Dyckman Street and the surrounding blocks suffer from excessive traffic noise and bar crowd rowdiness during the summer months due to the nightclubs along Dyckman near Broadway and especially La Marina (which draws thousands of sport bikers from the Tri-State region every weekend who love to rev their engines and show off in the streets) nearby on the Hudson Riverfront. The NYPD have been better at ticketing them due to Vision Zero but they're still a major neighborhood nuisance which caused me to move away about 2 years ago to the burbs.
I wouldn't live up right near Dyckman, thats loud as hell. More south than that, near the park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 01:27 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,775,302 times
You're asking this board when like 80% of the people who will respond haven't been to that area since the 1980s or if ever lol.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:02 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
You're asking this board when like 80% of the people who will respond haven't been to that area since the 1980s or if ever lol.
I am in these 2 areas every week and live south of them in Morningside Heights. All of the responses given are right on point. These posters seem to be in the areas recently.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:54 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,752,106 times
I live in and enjoy Hamilton Heights. The neighborhood has come a long way over the past few years. Restaurants and bars are opening up by the day. Here's a little list:

H A R L E M + B E S P O K E: EAT: BEST BETS IN HAMILTON HEIGHTS 2015

The streets (off 145th between Broadway and Edgecombe) are beautiful treelined streets with amazing architecture. People are moving there in droves. 10 mins on the A or D to midtown. Better lock something in now, in five years prices will be through the roof.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:31 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,775,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
I am in these 2 areas every week and live south of them in Morningside Heights. All of the responses given are right on point. These posters seem to be in the areas recently.
Thankfully the 20% are answering and 3 posts from one person

Old 01-15-2015, 05:08 PM

664 posts, read 807,441 times
Quote:
I live in Washington Heights.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:42 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Better lock something in now, in five years prices will be through the roof.
Yep, basically this. I'm sure it's true of both neighborhoods, but I moved to Hamilton Heights in 2010 and got a large 1 bedroom with brick walls, laundry downstairs, elevator, etc... and I currently pay $1,250. If I was shopping around today, I doubt I'd find anything comparable for much less than $1,800 or so.

I'm currently looking at buying a 3 bedroom unit in the area. The HDFC income restrictions rule the girlfriend and I out of a lot of the units in the area. How they expect someone who makes < $76,000 to afford a $500,000 is beyond me, but that's another topic...

Old 01-15-2015, 06:12 PM

664 posts, read 807,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
I'm currently looking at buying a 3 bedroom unit in the area. The HDFC income restrictions rule the girlfriend and I out of a lot of the units in the area. How they expect someone who makes < $76,000 to afford a $500,000 is beyond me, but that's another topic...
It's a broken system that still encourages (and even REQUIRES) the insane over-extension of financing that triggered the financial crisis of 2008.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:39 PM

116 posts, read 145,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I live in and enjoy Hamilton Heights. The neighborhood has come a long way over the past few years. Restaurants and bars are opening up by the day. Here's a little list:

H A R L E M + B E S P O K E: EAT: BEST BETS IN HAMILTON HEIGHTS 2015

The streets (off 145th between Broadway and Edgecombe) are beautiful treelined streets with amazing architecture. People are moving there in droves. 10 mins on the A or D to midtown. Better lock something in now, in five years prices will be through the roof.
I just ate at Amsterdam Social tonight on Amsterdam btw 147th and 148th - super cute tapas place that just opened (in November I guess?)! We almost went to another place on the list, cool that there are so many new places opening.

I have to go up to Hamilton Heights (-ish? Hamilton Terrace / 144th) for business pretty often and think it's beautiful. For what it's worth, haven't ever encountered any issues walking alone, or in the evening, and I'm not the most intimidating person out there. Can't help with the Hudson comparison, but my 2 cents on Hamilton Heights!

Old 01-15-2015, 09:45 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times
Quote:
Very underestimated post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City