Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 08:21 AM

85 posts, read 368,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Yes, this is often done.
Thank you very much my friend. Enjoy your day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 10:51 AM

140 posts, read 269,318 times
Hopefully some of the original posters are still paying attention to this thread six months later.

I'm looking to buy an apartment on Riverside Drive and 152nd street. I've always loved Riverside Drive, so I'm giving this one a long look since there aren't that many available; however, I'm finding that the immediate vicinity (especially Broadway) has quite a ways to go in regards to the types of establishments you see in other areas of Harlem and Washington Heights. The closest nice restaurants I found are on Broadway between 148th and 149th streets, next to Harlem Local, which has been there for quite a while.

What do people more familiar with the area than me think? Have you seen steady improvement in the last few years? I'm a little bothered by the number of youths hanging out on street corners. Two kids were gunned down on 151st and Broadway just last August, which is rather alarming to me.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:23 PM

bumping this, to see if anyone in the know has any opinions regarding my post above

Old 06-15-2015, 05:37 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,522,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizarrony View Post
Hopefully some of the original posters are still paying attention to this thread six months later.

I'm looking to buy an apartment on Riverside Drive and 152nd street. I've always loved Riverside Drive, so I'm giving this one a long look since there aren't that many available; however, I'm finding that the immediate vicinity (especially Broadway) has quite a ways to go in regards to the types of establishments you see in other areas of Harlem and Washington Heights. The closest nice restaurants I found are on Broadway between 148th and 149th streets, next to Harlem Local, which has been there for quite a while.

What do people more familiar with the area than me think? Have you seen steady improvement in the last few years? I'm a little bothered by the number of youths hanging out on street corners. Two kids were gunned down on 151st and Broadway just last August, which is rather alarming to me.
Basically anything that's directly on Riverside Drive is going to be nice. Ideally, your unit would face away from the street though. It can be noisy with cars during the PM rush hour with people taking that to the GWB, trying to beat the Westside Highway.

And yeah, there's still a little vigil at that street corner, with pictures of the guy and all those little Catholic Jesus candles.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:56 PM

10,099 posts, read 14,507,739 times
Quote:

I've lived at 150th and Amsterdam for almost 3 years now. The neighborhood has changed dramatically over these years--especially Broadway from 145th to 150th Streets. Above 150th, I'm not too familiar with, but gentrification has fast-taken-hold. If you are going to buy, buy in this area now, because you'll kick yourself if you don't and in 3 years prices are double or triple.

Columbia University is coming on fast and northward--with their new campus being built on 125-130th street area. As-a-result, the areas between the 137th street and 145th street stops and a bit north along Broadway--and less so, but also slowly happening along Amsterdam--are changing relatively rapidly with restaurants and bars found typically on the upper west side, east village or downtown in general.

When I first moved here, only Chipped Cup (the coffee spot) was here -- no other hipster/trendy bars or restaurants. Now, there is Harlem Public, At The Wallace, Union Grille, Amsterdam Social, The Anchor, The Grange, Farafina Cafe and Lounge, Harlem Pulled Noodle and there's a brand new gastropub opening soon on 143rd and Broadway.

It's changing fast. I'd get in and buy!

Old 06-15-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Basically anything that's directly on Riverside Drive is going to be nice. Ideally, your unit would face away from the street though. It can be noisy with cars during the PM rush hour with people taking that to the GWB, trying to beat the Westside Highway.

And yeah, there's still a little vigil at that street corner, with pictures of the guy and all those little Catholic Jesus candles.
Thanks for the pointers. The building I’m looking into faces Riverside Drive, but the apartment is at the back of the building and faces 153rd street (so the views are of GW bridge and Trinity Cemetery).

Old 06-15-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I've lived at 150th and Amsterdam for almost 3 years now. The neighborhood has changed dramatically over these years--especially Broadway from 145th to 150th Streets. Above 150th, I'm not too familiar with, but gentrification has fast-taken-hold. If you are going to buy, buy in this area now, because you'll kick yourself if you don't and in 3 years prices are double or triple.

Columbia University is coming on fast and northward--with their new campus being built on 125-130th street area. As-a-result, the areas between the 137th street and 145th street stops and a bit north along Broadway--and less so, but also slowly happening along Amsterdam--are changing relatively rapidly with restaurants and bars found typically on the upper west side, east village or downtown in general.

When I first moved here, only Chipped Cup (the coffee spot) was here -- no other hipster/trendy bars or restaurants. Now, there is Harlem Public, At The Wallace, Union Grille, Amsterdam Social, The Anchor, The Grange, Farafina Cafe and Lounge, Harlem Pulled Noodle and there's a brand new gastropub opening soon on 143rd and Broadway.

It's changing fast. I'd get in and buy!
Excellent, I also think this area will be a lot better with time.

One thing I’ve noticed is that there aren’t many apartments available to buy. This is probably due to the fact that there are lots of rent-controlled buildings in the area, which will slow down gentrification. For example, the building that I’m looking into is being converted to condos, but out of 43 units, only 12 units have been converted. The rest of the apartments still have tennants, and that will probably remain so for a long time. This also means that the few apartments up for sale are a lot more expensive than they should be.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:11 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,942,668 times
Quote:
Excellent, I also think this area will be a lot better with time.

One thing I’ve noticed is that there aren’t many apartments available to buy. This is probably due to the fact that there are lots of rent-controlled buildings in the area, which will slow down gentrification. For example, the building that I’m looking into is being converted to condos, but out of 43 units, only 12 units have been converted. The rest of the apartments still have tennants, and that will probably remain so for a long time. This also means that the few apartments up for sale are a lot more expensive than they should be.
No ... it means that there are many co-op buildings and people do not leave. Which is, indeed, the case in that area. The apartments are not more expensive than they "should" be. They are what they are because few come up for sale. Convent Avenue is basically the same, some houses and far fewer apartments. Some rental buildings but more - or as many - co-ops and houses.

There are not many rent controlled apartments - just about everything is stabilized now. You might consider learning the difference before crediting rent regulation with holding back gentrification.

You sound like you are moving from somewhere, odd choice in neighborhood for a transplant - few have your attitude but you will find that out. And perhaps learn something.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
No ... it means that there are many co-op buildings and people do not leave. Which is, indeed, the case in that area. The apartments are not more expensive than they "should" be. They are what they are because few come up for sale. Convent Avenue is basically the same, some houses and far fewer apartments. Some rental buildings but more - or as many - co-ops and houses.

There are not many rent controlled apartments - just about everything is stabilized now. You might consider learning the difference before crediting rent regulation with holding back gentrification.

You sound like you are moving from somewhere, odd choice in neighborhood for a transplant - few have your attitude but you will find that out. And perhaps learn something.
Wow, a lot of assumptions in that post, and all of them wrong to boot.

Yes, I'm moving from somewhere, a very far away place known as the Upper West Side. Incidentally, a neighborhood with a history not that different from what some areas of Harlem are going through right now.

Also, I did manage to learn the difference between rent-stabilized and rent-controlled some time ago. But why would you think that rent stabilization would not be an obstacle to gentrification? Rent-stabilized tenants still have the right to renew their leases - a good thing in my opinion. For what it's worth, the tenants in the building I'm interested in had to be bought out; as was the case in three other building just south of where this one is located.

Finally, what attitude is this that you speak of? I'm really interested in learning how a complete stranger on the internet seems to know so much about everyone.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:21 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,267,080 times
Quote:

The area is in flux and will be for a while. I think anyone moving to this part of manhattan has to be cognizant of that especially if they are investing. It's a process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City