Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 09:39 PM

46 posts, read 91,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
How long does it take to get to ______ from ________ using public transportation?
Trips123 - Get Traffic, Transit, and Trip Planning Info in Real Time
MTA NYCT - Trip Planner+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 03:50 PM

3 posts, read 3,886 times
I currently live in Florida and am planning on moving to NYC next summer. After almost 10 years in the military I am planning on using my GI Bill to further my education. I'll have anywhere from 35-40k in savings available for the move, plus the GI Bill will provide me with close to $3800 a month once I start classes. As of right now I am looking into moving into a 3 bed/2 bath in northern Brooklyn, because I have an adult family member (who will be working) and my son accompanying me there. I have a few friends in the area that have made the same move there after the military, however they moved by themselves. I know the requirements that landlords have for their tenants in NYC are pretty stringent, so I wanted to gain some more insight here to see if I might be in over my head on this move.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:19 PM

26 posts, read 17,892 times
Hey guys, I'm an american currently living abroad but am planning to move back alone next month to NYC. I went abroad when I was 18 & still under my parents care. I still haven't started college because of financial issues, but now have money saved up & hopefully will be able to land a job before my rent money goes. I'm also planning on going to BmCC for my first 2 & if all goes well I'll transfer to a good 4 year to study finance

How does a 19 y/o go about alone in NYC w/ minimal contacts (in-state) & no place to crash in NyC? I will be staying in NJ for my first 2 weeks & then will have to go on foot looking for co-ops/sublets/etc in the city. What do you guys recommend to a student who needs to find a job & apartment w/ no employment history,paycheck stubs,bank statements,credit or college experience? Any advice appreciated thanks. Basically a virgin in the adult world

Old 09-25-2014, 09:12 PM

6 posts, read 9,266 times
You should definitely check out Peter Cooper Village/Stuyvesant Town <a href=ʺhttp://www.pcvstliving.comʺ>no-fee apartments nyc</a> . This is alovely apartment community in the heart of Manhattan. This community is locatedon 80 acres which makes it feel like you are living in a small town while neverleaving the city. The best part is they offer affordable no-fee apartments, sothere is no need to get an agent to find yourself a lovely apartment. Plus,going straight to a community like PCVST you make your search to find anapartment in NYC so much easier.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,807 times
I am looking at pursuing a job as a Video/Motion Graphics Editor for a Production company that puts on a well known show around the country. I have a Bachelors and have work completed in a Masters degree. However, I have no clue on what to ask for fairly on a Salary Requirement basis. Anyone have any help that they can give me?

EDIT: I have worked with the company before as an Intern around 4 years ago.

Last edited by BSUGrad; 09-26-2014 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: Added information

Old 09-28-2014, 11:53 AM

993 posts, read 1,385,710 times
Overview of BLS Wage Data by Area and Occupation

from the US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics; if your exact profession isn't listed, you could perhaps find something comparable

Old 09-29-2014, 02:11 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstillman1202 View Post
You should definitely check out Peter Cooper Village/Stuyvesant Town <a href=ʺhttp://www.pcvstliving.comʺ>no-fee apartments nyc</a> . This is alovely apartment community in the heart of Manhattan. This community is locatedon 80 acres which makes it feel like you are living in a small town while neverleaving the city. The best part is they offer affordable no-fee apartments, sothere is no need to get an agent to find yourself a lovely apartment. Plus,going straight to a community like PCVST you make your search to find anapartment in NYC so much easier.
Avoid Peter Cooper & Stuyvesant like the plague. The reviews are pretty eye opening:
Peter Cooper Village Stuyvesant Town - Stuyvesant Town - New York, NY | Yelp

Basically the buildings are owned by private firms who overpaid and are now nickel & diming all the tenants, squeezing fees at every excuse, and cutting back on services. It's pretty bad over there, people are moving out and getting better places, in better locations, for less money

Old 09-30-2014, 01:07 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,023,673 times
^ Thanks for the entertainment, not sure I've ever seen such a collection of bad reviews.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentStateOfMind View Post
Hey guys, I'm an american currently living abroad but am planning to move back alone next month to NYC. I went abroad when I was 18 & still under my parents care. I still haven't started college because of financial issues, but now have money saved up & hopefully will be able to land a job before my rent money goes. I'm also planning on going to BmCC for my first 2 & if all goes well I'll transfer to a good 4 year to study finance

How does a 19 y/o go about alone in NYC w/ minimal contacts (in-state) & no place to crash in NyC? I will be staying in NJ for my first 2 weeks & then will have to go on foot looking for co-ops/sublets/etc in the city. What do you guys recommend to a student who needs to find a job & apartment w/ no employment history,paycheck stubs,bank statements,credit or college experience? Any advice appreciated thanks. Basically a virgin in the adult world

Check out the hostels for Asian visitors. You can stay there really cheap for a month if you make the reservation a few months in advance. Also pod39 has a hostel that's pretty cheap too.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:49 PM

26 posts, read 17,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgaijin View Post
Check out the hostels for Asian visitors. You can stay there really cheap for a month if you make the reservation a few months in advance. Also pod39 has a hostel that's pretty cheap too.
Cheers mate, thanks for the much needed advice!

Any advice pertaining to the job market? Currently have no experience in any field, apart from working full time for a family member under the table in the food industry.

Would you recommend the retail industry over the food industry for an entry level job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City