Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,797 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I'm a future student (CUNY Community College), still waiting for my notification though. I'm preparing in case I'll get admitted.

If I get admitted, I'll move to NYC and might have a budget on maximum $1000 rent. I'm mostly looking for a roommate/shared apartment. BUT the question is; what area/neighborhood is the best for a caucasian female in her lower/mid 20's?
I'd like to move to Manhattan, Brooklyn or Queens. And as I already know, most areas in Manhattan is expensive, except Harlem/Washington Heights etc. What about these? OK? Unsafe? Don't walk around there late at night?

So, I'm looking for advice on what area might be good and "safe" (be able to get home late, without running between the subway and my door). And I do know, that ANYTHING can happen ANYWHERE, in any city and country.. even though the area might be safe, because idiots exist everywhere. But still looking for the safer areas :-)
Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 03:22 PM

277 posts, read 884,050 times
Default Saftey

Visit the local police precinct. It is amazing how crime can vary depending can vary from block to block. Ask them to discuss the increase/decrease in violent and non-violent crimes.

Do not let someone assuage your fears by saying a neighborhoods is "gentrifying" even if that is true, the neighborhood may be dangerous for years.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:59 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaL View Post
Hi!
I'm a future student (CUNY Community College), still waiting for my notification though. I'm preparing in case I'll get admitted.

If I get admitted, I'll move to NYC and might have a budget on maximum $1000 rent. I'm mostly looking for a roommate/shared apartment. BUT the question is; what area/neighborhood is the best for a caucasian female in her lower/mid 20's?
I'd like to move to Manhattan, Brooklyn or Queens. And as I already know, most areas in Manhattan is expensive, except Harlem/Washington Heights etc. What about these? OK? Unsafe? Don't walk around there late at night?

So, I'm looking for advice on what area might be good and "safe" (be able to get home late, without running between the subway and my door). And I do know, that ANYTHING can happen ANYWHERE, in any city and country.. even though the area might be safe, because idiots exist everywhere. But still looking for the safer areas :-)
Thank you!!
Ignore anything the precincts may tell you regarding safety.

You will get more (and more helpful) comments if you mention which CUNY you will attend.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:06 AM

157 posts, read 341,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaL View Post
Hi!

Thank you!!
I would not advise you to live in Harlem or Bronx as these neighborhoods are not very safe. There will be people that will say that they are becoming more gentrified but still crime is high there. Washington heights may be ok in certain parts.

If I was in your position I would find a roomate either in Brooklyn or Manhattan. Yes manhattan is expensive but it is still possible to find a roomate situation.
Also look if CUNY offers any apartment listings for students.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katerinaver View Post
I would not advise you to live in Harlem or Bronx as these neighborhoods are not very safe. There will be people that will say that they are becoming more gentrified but still crime is high there. Washington heights may be ok in certain parts.
[sigh ...] This is just entirely wrong. There are many safe areas in Harlem, which is rather large and comprised of very different neighborhoods. Ditto the Bronx, as other posters can explain far better.

In fact, if you are attending City College, somewhere just below would be best and is as safe as anywhere else unless you involve yourself in the drug trade. Quality-of-life issues ? You bet. But that too depends on where you mean, exactly.

Regarding Washington Heights, some are quite a bit more than "ok."

Old 07-19-2014, 10:29 AM

571 posts, read 791,115 times
Vast areas of The Bronx are safe and provide a similar or higher quality of life at a better value than certain areas of every other Borough.

I moved here from Florida specifically for a job a few months ago, and I feel like I'm beating the system when I hear people talking about spending several thousand dollars a month for small apartments in Manhattan, Brooklyn and even Queens. I pay $1200 for a nice, big one bedroom in an area I really like and it takes me 40 minutes to get to Midtown.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:19 PM

157 posts, read 341,239 times
as i'v said other people will have different opinions and that is fine...it is a personal choice...I would advise for you to go see for yourself but I would definitely not live anywhere in those areas.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katerinaver View Post
as i'v said other people will have different opinions and that is fine...it is a personal choice...I would advise for you to go see for yourself but I would definitely not live anywhere in those areas.
And you moved here ... when, exactly ?

Because on the margins that is the point that is trying to be made. Too little experience but posting with a lot of confidence is becoming too common here and it is not good. People need actual information, which always comes from experience - the more the better - and quite seldom comes from "new" New Yorkers.

In fact, "walking around" in Harlem neighborhoods, for example, can very much give a misleading impression. Areas seem okay but aren't ideal at all.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:04 AM

13 posts, read 26,507 times
I stayed in Washington Heights on 2 different occasions, over a week in total. Im a tall, white male from Canada (friends relative lived on W 168th street). I never felt unsafe once, its just like any other area in Manhattan, except it does have a more "international" feel, since its mostly Dominican. Just like any other place, you mind youre business, and you will be ok! Subway line brings you directly into midtown/downtown as well!

Old 07-30-2014, 03:18 AM

3 posts, read 3,622 times
The easiest, fastest, and the most convenient way of gathering all the information you need is in your mobile phone. Just download your location insights app and search for the relevant data about NYC and you will get updated and accurate information within no time. The app can be your perfect guide in a new place, when you want to find the best place to eat, stay, or hangout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City