Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2015, 08:58 PM

3 posts, read 4,247 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody, can you give me a suggest what is the best way to find a room for rent in New York? I am immigrating in June with wife and 8 month boy so what you suggest me I just now craiglist.com and what will be the aria to look for in a budget of 800-1000 $ a month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 06:45 PM

515 posts, read 875,669 times
I doubt any sane person will rent you a room with a wife and 8month old. Sorry.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,922 times
Hello,
I'm moving to NYC in August. Looking for neighborhoods within 30 minute subway ride from Gramercy Park (my new job is in that area). Thanks.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:45 AM

22 posts, read 21,743 times
Hi, I have a general question regarding realtor compensation in Manhattan. A single young woman looking to lease a small studio under $2,000/mo. What is a fair price to pay for "LOW FEE" listings as we can't afford paying too high a realtor fee + security deposit + the actual rent. I know it is negotiable, but don't want to insult the realtor with an unreasonable offer. If you have any insight regarding this matter, please kindly advise. Thank you.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,687 times
I suggest researching who ever you go to---Look at their track record---Go to the BBB ask for many references

Thanks Marina Tylo

Old 05-13-2015, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,673 times
a very useful topic

Old 05-18-2015, 04:41 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,254,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusti15 View Post
I currently live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and have plans to move to New York City. My mind is pretty much made up now I just have to get things in order within the next year and a half to make that move. With the excitement of making the move I have fears regarding income, schools and childcare. With me and my husband we average about 85 thousand a year. We also have two children 7 years old and 15 months old. Should we go for the move or should we wait?????
Do what your heart tells you to do.🗽 🏪

Old 05-21-2015, 03:43 AM

482 posts, read 945,308 times
Try BMW Parkview. I don't have the number, but they have some nice rentals. Try to google them.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I would like to gather links and info on moving to NYC to put in a sticky to help cut down on the same question being asked over and over. The poster could then ask questions after reviewing the information

General information for different areas such as rent cost, safety and schools.
New York all depends Where are u moving from?
What anyone moving MUST KNOW about New York
im from arlington but have lived in new york for 12 years plus and still do everything there is to it
* There are 4 counties ny is an amalgam city which absorbed counties. Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn
Manhattan is the most shocking place in the US nothing like your fayetteville or springfield, its basically a small island with 2 million people on it. That's the most crowded ever. You cannot find bathroom in manhattan and keeping a car is made impactrical unless your a taxi driver becausen parking tickets are exorbitant!! The only people who live in Manhattan are surgeons, stock brokers and pepeople who earn 100k plus literaly. Here bottle water costs you 3$ espresso $ 2, and a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment 3500 a month plus!
* Bronx is the same as Manhattan but slightly better cause it aint crowded as much, and rent is slight better
* Brooklyn the best part of new york city where most people live. most people live here. much nicer. but still rent is really high up 3000 a month in some neighborhoods.
* Queens is the largest. This one is the most affordable 2 bedroom is 1600/ mo. before utilities more suburban (1 family house is about 550 k plus
) has all restaurants amenities malls.

Important note about new york:
* It is the the most expensive place in US
* If you have car expect the police to give tickets for anything theyr called summons and violations ull et it for anything from parking inch near curb, muni (what its called the parking meter ran out, etc. ull get about 100 month in tickets
* parking is main commercial areas (ie night out to eat) costs $4 an hour on street u have to fill meter otherwise violation
* the toll for going from manhattan (where people work) to queens (the suburbs) is ready... $8!! going and coming. thats really heavy on expensive
* unless u are wealthy or as i said surgeon etc. u will spend more than half ur monthly income on rent its that way in ny any county.

* no gun rights see SAFE act governor cuomo took it away i had some glocks and safe but now i keep it in arlington after the act.

* new york is the opposite of family orientated. if u have children
* it will be the most expensive in usa
* little outdoor opportunities
* schools r worst
* new york is really big in population crowded but really small in area this gets realy vexing. other day some policeman was shot and they interuppted my favorite show price is right starring drew carey and tv for THREE hours for funeral guess they tried tocforce 8 million people to watch it. amazing i know it would never happen in atlanta or sanfrancisco but here in biggest city tv is cut for 3 fre@# hours for some police officer
* the previous mayor tried to ban people from buying large cokes. very autocratic.
* traffic! if u drive and dont pay $8 to cross bridge u have to languish hours in traffic jam.
* new york is by far the most diverse in america. near 100 langueges spoken and 1/3 of everyone isbforeign born.
* roads stink and really kept.
* buses old and smell bad.
* streets everything is run down and is not well kept in most places like rust belt

* so the smallest but biggest in population most autocratic most multicultural antifamily crowded oldest smelliest most expensive dilapidated city in america.

dont go here. i am sick and am thinking of moving out take my advice and leave this rust belt hell hole.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,195 times
Hello,

I'd like to ask for advice. My sister is moving with her family (2 and 6yo boys) to New York for 2 years. She would like to rent a flat or house in an area that is family friendly (close to school and kindergarten etc.). We would appreciate any pieces of advice on which areas (NYC districts/suburbs) would be good for families and where to look for flats/houses (internet pages etc.).

Thanks,

Anna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City