Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2008, 06:12 PM

803 posts, read 2,970,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
I live in that area. Wow, sorry your experience was so bad. I don't know anything about the drive by shooting but the two cops that were killed wasn't due to living in Crown Heights. That could have happened anywhere. It was unfortunate that they were stopped in Crown Heights but the perps did not live there.

There is a problem with loud music in cars and speeding but a lot of that comes from people driving through the area. As far as the police activity in buildings that can happen because you may have one or two apartments in a building that can create a lot of confusion but basically it is fairly quiet.

Not trying to give false impressions because Crown Heights does have some rough spots and can be pretty uncomfortable, especially if you did not grow up around there but in my twelve years of living there, I have seen less issues then in other areas that I have lived.

BTW, I think that where you lived is considered East Flatbush (11203 zip code). From my understanding, Crown Heights ends at Empire Blvd, at least that is what some of the people who live there consider it.
I think though, that for a new person who is already unfamiliar with America and especially New York "streetwiseness", that Crown Heights & ESPECIALLY Flatbush would not quite meet their needs or expectations..... as I mentioned before, please try Astoria Queens, or Long Island City Queens first, before looking any farther out in any of the boroughs. I think you'll be able to find exactly what you are looking for, without any of the crime and the "fear factor" that can be associated with many other neighborhoods within your range...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 06:37 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
I think though, that for a new person who is already unfamiliar with America and especially New York "streetwiseness", that Crown Heights & ESPECIALLY Flatbush would not quite meet their needs or expectations..... as I mentioned before, please try Astoria Queens, or Long Island City Queens first, before looking any farther out in any of the boroughs. I think you'll be able to find exactly what you are looking for, without any of the crime and the "fear factor" that can be associated with many other neighborhoods within your range...
I will have to defer to you on this because I don't have the experience of moving into New York and seeing it through those eyes, so the majority of the areas are comfortable too me. Best of luck on your new place.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:39 AM

2 posts, read 7,499 times
Default Moving from SA to New York

Hi there

You would maybe think I am a fool for sendind you this msg but I will try and get use to this whole setup. First of all I am only 18 years old and do not have a work as I am a fulltime student here in Sa. I want to finish my first years studies and then want to move to New York, but where????
I am studying Theology and have allready spoken to Joyce Meyer Ministries to here if they could help me out with a student package on helping with a job and accomadation so that I can finish my studies part-time through Joyce Meyer Ministries. Still waiting for their reply. Please help me out with any advise you can give me

Many thanx!!!!!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:05 AM

8 posts, read 101,316 times
Thumbs up Thanks !!

Quote:
That's awesome, but I fear that by the time you get here, I'll already be in Pittsburgh, where we're buying a house....

A 5 bedroom, 4 story house, for only $130,000. . . . in New York, I can't even get a wino to **** on me for $130,000. . . . . . but good luck in your move, nonetheless.....

As for groceries, if you're moving to Manhattan, there's a "bodega" on just about every corner and part of the fun of living there is the daily walks to the various stores to locate necessities...
Thanks, By~Tor!! Good luck on your move! $130k is cheap as all get-out! Used to be like that in Phx 5-7 years ago. But the Cali "evacuation" after the 2001 market crash changed all that. Just be glad you'll be too far East for this recession to send the Californians to your town! lol Every metro area in the west is now a suburb of LA...

Anyway, good luck to you and thanks a ton for the info. You all have been invaluable !!! Three thumbs up!!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wilken View Post
Hi there

You would maybe think I am a fool for sendind you this msg but I will try and get use to this whole setup. First of all I am only 18 years old and do not have a work as I am a fulltime student here in Sa.

Many thanx!!!!!
Michael, is SA South Africa? Wow, that's a huge step. You'd probably need to be top of your class to get some kind of sponsorship package. If you are top of your class, make sure you also leverage your relationships with your school administrators. They might have connections too.

If you've read the posts on this site you'll find that life is expensive in NYC, so getting sponsorship to come specifically to NYC will be very hard. If your real goal is to come to the USA, then broaden your criteria out. You may be able to get sponsored by someone if you're willing to go where they most need you.

If this is something that is truly important to you, you will find a way to finance it yourself first, and if you get lucky enough to find a sponsor to help out part way, well, that's a blessing!

Usually the only chance you would have is if you want it so badly that you will do everything it takes to get yourself to NYC on your own effort and your own dime. Sometimes an angel will appear to make things easier, but not always. If you count on $ or help from someone else, you will never get where you want to go.

Good luck!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:26 AM

803 posts, read 2,970,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepurplepainter View Post
Thanks, By~Tor!! Good luck on your move! $130k is cheap as all get-out! Used to be like that in Phx 5-7 years ago. But the Cali "evacuation" after the 2001 market crash changed all that. Just be glad you'll be too far East for this recession to send the Californians to your town! lol Every metro area in the west is now a suburb of LA...

Anyway, good luck to you and thanks a ton for the info. You all have been invaluable !!! Three thumbs up!!
No worries, mate!--- Enjoy the Big Apple, and don't worry about the Califnication of NYC. . . . . they'd never make it here!!!.... We'd eat 'em up for breakfast, and chase 'em down with a few Canadians, for lunch!!!!!

* evil grin *

Old 03-28-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
No worries, mate!--- Enjoy the Big Apple, and don't worry about the Califnication of NYC. . . . . they'd never make it here!!!.... We'd eat 'em up for breakfast, and chase 'em down with a few Canadians, for lunch!!!!!

* evil grin *
ROFLMFAO! Best answer of the day!

Old 03-28-2008, 10:43 AM

37 posts, read 129,975 times
Default Still welcoming the tired, poor, huddled masses ?

Hi there everyone,

I'm not really the kind to beat and beat around the bush, so I'll be straight : I would like to move to the States. The whole new life kind of moving. I am French, young, have degrees but that are not relevant for what I plan to become (I would like to work in law enforcement). So my question is...Where do I start ? I have no clue where to start, should I just book a flight and then try my luck over there ?

I actually ruled out that option, since I hear that while this could have been true around the 70s-80s, this is not so true anymore. But maybe you guys will tell me otherwise.

And before I get the "what d'you wanna give up alla your social advantages for, why the USA ??", first I speak english almost as good as I speak french, and second let us say there are personal reasons.

Hope there is still a little bit of hope for me
Thanks by advance for your answer.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:16 PM

6 posts, read 13,970 times
Default Questions about Mott Haven

I'm looking to move to nyc and I wanted to ask what the living conditions are like in Mott Haven and if 'Sobro' is just an ideology?

Old 03-29-2008, 08:08 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimo View Post
Hi there everyone,

I'm not really the kind to beat and beat around the bush, so I'll be straight : I would like to move to the States. The whole new life kind of moving. I am French, young, have degrees but that are not relevant for what I plan to become (I would like to work in law enforcement). So my question is...Where do I start ? I have no clue where to start, should I just book a flight and then try my luck over there ?

I actually ruled out that option, since I hear that while this could have been true around the 70s-80s, this is not so true anymore. But maybe you guys will tell me otherwise.

And before I get the "what d'you wanna give up alla your social advantages for, why the USA ??", first I speak english almost as good as I speak french, and second let us say there are personal reasons.

Hope there is still a little bit of hope for me
Thanks by advance for your answer.
Before you do anything you need to get a visa valid for working here. When you get that, start to make plans. Just to get the visa will take a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City