Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2008, 09:12 PM

2 posts, read 8,439 times

Advertisements

hello,

I am new to this site. I am planning on moving to NYC within a year and a half. I am posting here because I really have no idea where to live, nor where to start looking for apartment listings. Being a single female, I need to know which neighborhoods are safe. preferable in Manhattan. I am looking for a one-bedroom and my budget is between $1,200 - $2100 per month. Any advice would be great. Please feel free to e-mail me at sbrnowes@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 12:33 PM

4 posts, read 29,361 times
I thank you for taking the time to supply me with this information. I am hoping to visit soon as we only received our passports yesterday. In South Africa everything takes very long to happen. Applications through our goverment can take up to 18 months and longer.
I wish you a lovely weekend
odette

Old 05-17-2008, 05:49 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrnowes View Post
hello,

I am new to this site. I am planning on moving to NYC within a year and a half. I am posting here because I really have no idea where to live, nor where to start looking for apartment listings. Being a single female, I need to know which neighborhoods are safe. preferable in Manhattan. I am looking for a one-bedroom and my budget is between $1,200 - $2100 per month. Any advice would be great. Please feel free to e-mail me at sbrnowes@yahoo.com
Your budget won't permit you to live in Manhattan in a one-bedroom apartment. You need to review the posts on this thread to get some idea of more affordable areas.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:16 PM

2 posts, read 9,521 times
I'm looking to rent an entire house in the woodside/astoria/elmhurst/forest hills/sunnyside area. Can anyone give me any advice (other than the generic craigslist, nytimes, etc.)?

Old 05-19-2008, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,144 times
Default Best Place to Live in Flushing

Hi guys, I am asian and looking for a nice place to live not too far from the subway. What are the best places in Flushing. I am looking for like about 500000 to 800000.

Thank you

Old 05-28-2008, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 8,439 times
Default info on moving to new york

hello again,

thank you to all that responded to my question.

In regards to the info Viralmd gave me, I should have been more clear, the budget I was going by is based on what I make know in the city I livewhich sucks,(the city and the salary $12,000). I would pay more for rent in Manhattan if I have to. because I don't work in NYC yet, I don't know how much I will be making, but I will make the sacrifice. I have an Associates Degree in Business Administration, do you guys have tips on finding a job this field? Noooooo RETAIL. And one more question, should I find an apt first or a job first? Any info will be helpful.

thanks

Old 05-28-2008, 12:39 PM

You're going to have a hard time finding an apartment without any job! Your landlord will run a credit check and will require you to have 40 times your monthly rent as salary.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 8,034 times
Default Moving to New York!

That would be very helpful! My situation I am a single mother of three children about to get my nursing degree. I live in New Mexico, but have always had a thing for New York City and dreamed of moving there after school! I get my R.N. now in December and am hoping to move to NYC summer 09. So I am starting to gather information now to accomplish this goal. People always say I am crazy taking my kids from a small city like this where the weather is beautiful to a big congested city like NYC, however what they don't see is that the education here is horrible. In this city I am surrounded by people(I KNOW) getting shot and overdosing left and right. There is not much to do here for me or my children or opportunity, people here are rude and seriously close-minded and I don't really have family or deep connections here to keep me so why should I not go after my dreams if I feel it will be beneficial for me and my children, I am a go getter and I know I could do it! From my understanding brand new nurses are started off at around 75k a year in NYC. So what I am trying to find is an area that is more to the safer side for a single mother of three children. I realize there is crime everywhere, no matter what city you are in but there are nicer areas than others. Also I realize it is expensive in NYC but am looking for a decent size three br apt, or 2 close to transportation,schools a place that I can chill outside and watch my kids play with the neighbors kids maybe by a park and close to transportation as I understand parking is outrageous.Also looking for a good christian church home. I will be brand new to NYC and probably experience some serious culture shock not to mention having to learn everything about public transportation etc. etc. But people do it all the time so I know with God's help so can I. Any information anyone can give me on where I can get started on planning this move is greatly appreciated!

Old 05-31-2008, 07:54 AM

There is NOT 'crime everywhere.' I don't know if you've ever been to NYC, but I STRONGLY urge you to visit before you decide to move here. On that salary you won't be able to afford private schools, so you're going to have to choose areas where there are good public schools. These are, naturally, going to cost more for housing, as they're in higher demand and Manhattan will be completely off the list. PLEASE do visit before you make this important decision.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 8,034 times
I actually have visited and love it! So you say there is not "crime everywhere" well so far everywhere I have lived, from a town of pop 1000 to close to a million population, and here in ALbuquerque there is only 80k population, but per capita has one of the highest crime rates in the US. However, I have not lived everywhere, that is exactly why I posted this bulletin to find out what areas in the NYC area are low in crime,and areas I may start looking into which have good public schools. I realize that I may have to pay a little more for housing, but that is why I am starting to research so I could figure out if I can make this a reality at this time or not. Can you suggest some area's? Living outside of NYC in a nearby city, where I can take transportation into the city, does not bother me either, I have a friend from Union City who does that everyday. So anyone who has information on those things like good neighborhoods close to good public schools and transportation, for a single mother of three children, please respond! Thank You!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City