Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 08:02 PM

503 posts, read 899,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephM1994 View Post
I'm going to stick out, duh. Some places more than others. Your annotation is appreciated, yet meaningless. I was looking for actual stats. I know some whites live in Todt Hill pjs on Staten Island, I was looking for numbers and percentages. I also know that the Hasidics control a project.

Again, you got numbers or you just wanna be snarky? Why is "white" in quotes btw?
I was and am being snarky due to the ridiculousness of your question. Use your head. You already know you're going to stick out so come out with it. What you truly want to know is, what are the most well kept, clean and reduced crime rate out there for you (you just choose to use "white" as the variable for this). Good luck. Grow a pair and handle the situation the best you can if your only choice is to get this NYCHA spot. If someone's going to try and punk you, trust me, in the J's it doesn't matter what color you are, you better defend yourself.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:13 PM

148 posts, read 302,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsideal View Post
I was and am being snarky due to the ridiculousness of your question. Use your head. You already know you're going to stick out so come out with it. What you truly want to know is, what are the most well kept, clean and reduced crime rate out there for you (you just choose to use "white" as the variable for this). Good luck. Grow a pair and handle the situation the best you can if your only choice is to get this NYCHA spot. If someone's going to try and punk you, trust me, in the J's it doesn't matter what color you are, you better defend yourself.
This is the second time I have been harassed by the "hidden racism" police tonight! Not everyone has an ulterior motive to oppress people who aren't white. I understand it makes you feel like a super duper important social justice crusader to point out imaginary implied racism on the Internet, but you just look like a damn fool.

I was not using white as a proxy for safe, I was using white to mean white as in Caucasian, european American etc etc. if I wanted safe I would say safe but is the projects so safe isn't the appropriate word it's more like "less unsafe".

I know I am going to he a minority, at approx. 1/3 of the city of NYC and 40 something percent of the borough of Queens I am already a minority in this city. However it isn't a crime, racism, offensive or anything but honest to express that I would feel much more comfortable if I wasn't the only white person if I was part of a significant minority (20% vs 2%)

You're an ideologue and you're incredibly dumb, and by assuming that since I am white I must be some sort of outspoken KKK style racist unless I get down on my knees and thank Mother Mary for diversity..that makes you a racist. Go away!

Old 03-24-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
You really shouldn't be looking to move in NYCHA unless it's a last resort. Why not look into moving into Ozone Park or Rockaway Park, rents around there should be lower then Howard Beach.
They will definitely be lower but not low enough to make a difference. I pay $1150 for a basement studio including utilities plus internet/cable. I was thinking of selling my car but I doubt I will get more than one months rent for a 1994 Nissan stick shift with 250k miles and then if I find something in Staten Island I won't be able to move there anyways. Hopefully I can find something on Staten Island for like $800, but then all my savings will get eaten up by the toll on the VZ bridge (can't take MTA to work from Staten Island cause I work in Fort Greene/DT Brooklyn.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:24 PM

503 posts, read 899,071 times
Quote:
This is the second time I have been harassed by the "hidden racism" police tonight! Not everyone has an ulterior motive to oppress people who aren't white. I understand it makes you feel like a super duper important social justice crusader to point out imaginary implied racism on the Internet, but you just look like a damn fool.

I was not using white as a proxy for safe, I was using white to mean white as in Caucasian, european American etc etc. if I wanted safe I would say safe but is the projects so safe isn't the appropriate word it's more like "less unsafe".

I know I am going to he a minority, at approx. 1/3 of the city of NYC and 40 something percent of the borough of Queens I am already a minority in this city. However it isn't a crime, racism, offensive or anything but honest to express that I would feel much more comfortable if I wasn't the only white person if I was part of a significant minority (20% vs 2%)

You're an ideologue and you're incredibly dumb, and by assuming that since I am white I must be some sort of outspoken KKK style racist unless I get down on my knees and thank Mother Mary for diversity..that makes you a racist. Go away!
Extremist fool. Lol. You're getting very angry on a internet board, congrats little man.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:29 PM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Let me be honest with you.

There's white boys from Rockaway that don't live in the projects that's prolly way tougher than you. Them Irish boys don't play around my way. It's not about living in the projects, it's just you in general. Grow some thick skin, and if living in the Js is gonna be your current situation then so be it. Just mind your business and dont let nobody punk you out. You're a grown man for Christ Sake. So stand up and be one. Wherever you move to - that's your block now too!
This post just made me want to slam a shot of tequila and a whole Budweiser before ripping off a 30rd magazine from my AR-15. Airborne!!

Old 03-24-2015, 08:32 PM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
...(can't take MTA to work from Staten Island cause I work in Fort Greene/DT Brooklyn.
I used to take the SIRR to the Ferry, then the R back to Borough Hall stop in Brooklyn when I worked at the Brooklyn courts. It wasn't the best commute, but it was free ($2.75 for you) and I didn't have to live in the PJ's.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:33 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
They will definitely be lower but not low enough to make a difference. I pay $1150 for a basement studio including utilities plus internet/cable. I was thinking of selling my car but I doubt I will get more than one months rent for a 1994 Nissan stick shift with 250k miles and then if I find something in Staten Island I won't be able to move there anyways. Hopefully I can find something on Staten Island for like $800, but then all my savings will get eaten up by the toll on the VZ bridge (can't take MTA to work from Staten Island cause I work in Fort Greene/DT Brooklyn.
If you work in Fort Greene you can do this, if you live in Staten Islands South Shore (a very white, old school area)

Take the S79 bus to the last stop from Hylan Blvd. The bus comes often and it's surprising a pretty fast ride.
Transfer to the R train and take it to Dekalb Avenue.

I have done this before when I stayed in Downtown BK. It's long, but not so bad, and I would much rather do this over living in the PJs anyday.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsideal View Post
Extremist fool. Lol. You're getting very angry on a internet board, congrats little man.
I'm an extremist? Bro I'm just a bit muffed that this website has been diverted from its intended purpose (to assist people finding a place to live and to share news within the city/community) to a gigantic one upping contest between wannabe social justice warriors on who can find the most imaginary hidden/implied racism and then condemn it.

Christ almighty, stop it. If you have nothing actually useful to add, why add anything? Do you really need validation from online strangers THAT much?

Old 03-24-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I used to take the SIRR to the Ferry, then the R back to Borough Hall stop in Brooklyn when I worked at the Brooklyn courts. It wasn't the best commute, but it was free ($2.75 for you) and I didn't have to live in the PJ's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
If you work in Fort Greene you can do this, if you live in Staten Islands South Shore (a very white, old school area)

Take the S79 bus to the last stop from Hylan Blvd. The bus comes often and it's surprising a pretty fast ride.
Transfer to the R train and take it to Dekalb Avenue.

I have done this before when I stayed in Downtown BK. It's long, but not so bad, and I would much rather do this over living in the PJs anyday.
Thanks guys. I know SI very well and I have family in Eltingville by Hylan and Richmond. It's a matter of finding something in my budget, also wouldn't an s79 to R train commute to Dekalb take like 3 hours? I mean from the mall to 86 street the 79 is like an hour and the you gotta wait for the R and take it like 30 stops. Does the VZ have an SI resident discount if you have an EZ pass? I think I read that somewhere.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:12 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Bland is pretty tame considering it's NYCHA. See Asians and Caucasians walk in thru the door and hang out by the benches.

This would be my pick if I had to choose in queens. 1 block away from train station (7), small concentration of NYCHA buildings (avoid getting lost within the pjs and lower your odds of dealing with thugs), high walking traffic area given the sky view mall is next door and it is open until 10-11pm EST (due to target). In addition, the chinese BBQ and KTV across the street are open till 3am EST so it won't feel as isolated area like other pjs. In the morning, Chinese construction workers hangout at the front waiting for people to pick them up for jobs (7-9am EST). I would add flushing main street area is over crowded so you will get a city vibe and feel secure around so many people (mostly Chinese).

Last edited by NYer23; 03-24-2015 at 09:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City