Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 09:11 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,000 times

Advertisements

I only do that on certain station, but not every station. The typical station that I would do that would be the one that I have to take on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 10:13 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,487,406 times
Some stations I know where to wait From experience.

But I also know where the conductors window will be, and can guesstimate where the door I want will be based on that.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:43 PM

575 posts, read 672,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Don't know about anyone else but I am very precise about which car and door I get on in order to be exactly where I want to be when I exit...... unless it means not getting a seat or riding on the 1st car, which I won't do.
That's me too. First car, last car, middle car, it just depends on where I an coming from and where I am going. I would rather do my walking before I get on the train, than after I get off.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:22 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
I try to be where I need to be and thus I have taken many pictures of the subway station maps (that seem to be available NOWHERE on the web) and put them into a file. The maps show multiple street exits and even staircases .

Of course that is all dependent on whether I have time to position myself. Obviously if a train is rolling in when I get to the platform, I go in wherever I happen to be and then do the walk at the destination.

My most common train is the #6 at 96th and I know that to change for the BMT at 59th it's at the staircase. But for a change to the E or M it is the last car. If I want Astor Place, it's the last car, if I want to be assured a seat, it's the FIRST on the #6 car but that entails a long platform walk...sometimes TWO.

From 59th I will use the front of the BMT for Jack's, Penny's, City Center. Rear of the car for Carnegie Hall.

If someplace new, I consult my map collection.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:40 AM

115 posts, read 165,592 times
Quote:
Don't know about anyone else but I am very precise about which car and door I get on in order to be exactly where I want to be when I exit...... unless it means not getting a seat or riding on the 1st car, which I won't do.
This is me. If I know the train well, I know which door to enter so I get out at the right spot(s). If I don't know the route well, I go in anywhere.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:29 AM

154 posts, read 260,007 times
Quote:

I only ride the subway to and from work. I take the B train at 170st in the Bronx all the way down to West 4th. I get in at the exact spot where I want to exit from, I even have a specific place I stand where I know the door will be at. Same thing on my way back. 98% of the time I get a seat and I do take the local train ALL the way down since I allow myself enough time for my commute.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:24 PM

101 posts, read 300,840 times
I use an app for my android phone called "exitStrategy" - however I don't believe it is supported anymore (but still works great!) It will indicate where the exists and paths to other lines are so you know where to stand.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:33 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
During rush hour my main rule is to avoid the first and last cars at all cost. They are always wall-to-wall.
I find it's the opposite, depending on the station. At many local stations, the entrances are near the middle, which is where people tend to congregate and are the most crowded.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:07 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,980 times
If the train I want arrives as I'm getting into the station, I'll get on regardless of which car.

When I am earlier than the train arrival, I generally know if I want to exit on the front or back of the train based on my destination station, so I'll head to that part of the train.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,131,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
My most common train is the #6 at 96th and I know that to change for the BMT at 59th it's at the staircase. But for a change to the E or M it is the last car. If I want Astor Place, it's the last car, if I want to be assured a seat, it's the FIRST on the #6 car but that entails a long platform walk...sometimes TWO.
I forget offhand, but is the transfer from the 6 to the BMT in the middle of the train in both directions?

Also, with the BMT, I think the transfer to the IRT is in the center as well, right? Or is it at the western end of the platform (front for Queens-bound trains, back for Brooklyn-bound trains)?

To answer the OP's question, yes, I do it whenever possible. A lot of times, I have to make a transfer, so it's important that I be able to get out of the station quickly (and even when I'm not making a transfer, it's still good to be able to get out quickly).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: