Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 09:06 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboriginie View Post
I do the same thing. I don't even like to be in the first two cars. Almost 15 years in the city and I have only started doing this/thinking this way since I have had children.
I have kids and I couldn't care less which train car I sit it. How many subway crashes have occurred in the last 50 years let alone fatal ones? It's just not going to happen, and if it does I won't be that 1 in 100 million riders who happens to be on that train. Seriously if you think about that in regards to your kids then don't cross the street, ever. Live & work on the same block because your chances of being run over are infinitely higher
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 09:26 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
I forget offhand, but is the transfer from the 6 to the BMT in the middle of the
train in both directions?
Going South on the #6 the transfer to the BMT is about a third of the way from the back.
Going North it is close to the middle, maybe a little North of middle.

I never do the BMT -Westside IRT transfer and take a crosstown bus to the 1,2,3 instead, whether the M86 or the M96. Same for transfers to the B or C trains at Central Park West.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:18 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I have kids and I couldn't care less which train car I sit it. How many subway crashes have occurred in the last 50 years let alone fatal ones? It's just not going to happen, and if it does I won't be that 1 in 100 million riders who happens to be on that train. Seriously if you think about that in regards to your kids then don't cross the street, ever. Live & work on the same block because your chances of being run over are infinitely higher
Just not going to happen ?

This isn't even a complete list: www.nycsubway.org: Subway FAQ: Accidents
There have been dozens of accidents with hundreds of people killed or seriously injured in subway accidents in the last 50 years. Take a look at some of the pictures and you might rethink riding in the first or last car.
This was a good one from about 20 years ago.5 dead and more than 200 injured:http://www.nytimes.com/1991/08/29/ny...s-up-city.html

And none of the above includes LIRR crashes and metro north crashes, including 2 in the last couple of years where there were deaths in the first cars.

Five passengers killed in the first car:http://www.lohud.com/story/news/tran...ased/23890873/

Four people killed in the first car:http://www.lohud.com/story/news/tran...very/19718419/

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-02-2015 at 10:39 AM..

Old 04-02-2015, 10:25 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times
I definitely do. It shaves a few minutes off.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:04 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It seems to me most people are oblivious or just don't care where to wait for the subway train. The most popular spot is the one they initially came in from. Even though it maybe a long walk after the arrive at their destination stop to exit the station.
Yes, I do plan where to wait for the train if I have time to do so (meaning if a train is not pulling into the station when I get down to the platform). If I have time I stand in place near where my planned exit is at my destination if I am familiar with the station of my destination.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:06 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Just not going to happen ?

This isn't even a complete list: www.nycsubway.org: Subway FAQ: Accidents
There have been dozens of accidents with hundreds of people killed or seriously injured in subway accidents in the last 50 years. Take a look at some of the pictures and you might rethink riding in the first or last car.
This was a good one from about 20 years ago.5 dead and more than 200 injured:THE SUBWAY CRASH - IRT Driver Charged in 5 Deaths - Crash Shuts Line and Ties Up City - NYTimes.com

And none of the above includes LIRR crashes and metro north crashes, including 2 in the last couple of years where there were deaths in the first cars.

Five passengers killed in the first car:Metro-North crash: NTSB releases report

Four people killed in the first car:Metro-North fatal Bronx derailment: A year of pain and recovery
Paranoia at its finest lol. You don't even know how many safety precautions are in place to prevent accidents from happening.

And the LIrr/Mnrr is a moot point. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:53 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,641,422 times
Used to have it down to a science. What cars to get in, where to stand to position myself for the next available seat, etc etc etc. I sure don't miss that rat race.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:01 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,547 times
I prefer the first car. Yes, you are more at risk in the event of two trains colliding, but the greater risk are the crazies on the platform. i will never forgot that one poor guy who was pushed in front of an oncoming train by a crazy and cut in half.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:39 PM

575 posts, read 672,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.man View Post
Fairly routinely, I take the L from 8th Ave. to 2nd Ave. Out of habit, I've walked to the east-most car plenty of times to be closer to 2nd Ave at the 3rd Ave stop. I know EXACTLY what you mean.
Ah, getting on the L at 8th Ave. A little taste of heaven.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:01 PM

575 posts, read 672,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
In most train crashes and derailments,people in the front car are usually the one's killed and injured the most.

I avoid the first car same as I keep well away from the edges of the platforms until the trains are stopped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboriginie View Post
I do the same thing. I don't even like to be in the first two cars. Almost 15 years in the city and I have only started doing this/thinking this way since I have had children.
Hmm,

I don't know of any stats but you guys seem a bit too filled with anxiety on this front of the train thing. There have been only a handful of deaths from crashes/derailments in the last 20 years or so. How many hundreds of thousands of trains have run in this time.

The odds are heavily in your favor. May the force be with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: