Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 11:29 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,258,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I live in Pelham Parkway,the land of senior citizens and nursing homes. There are at least 5 of them within a 5 block radius and a few dozen spread out over the neighborhood, though none of them are too big.In addition to the nursing homes there are also a number of senior assisted living apartment complexes and Boston Road Plaza, a 20 story NYCHA senior citizen complex.I think it's great. Very quiet and peaceful and having all the old folks around makes me feel young. Needless to say I think there are about 25 pharmacies in the neighborhood too.

Something must have happened back in 70's or 80's and the powers that be decided that Pelham Parkway was where all the seniors should go. I'll fit right in pretty soon.Maybe I already do.
Your quote sounds so sincere, 😇
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 06:53 PM

292 posts, read 705,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
Does anyone work or live near a big Nursing Home, to describe how it impacts the immediate neighborhood - positively and negatively?

On my residential block, a huge vacant hospital will be converted into a skilled medical nursing home. Instead of an empty 6-story hulk occupying 25% of a city block, there will next be 200 residents, with very limited or no mobility. Serving them, going in and out daily, will be office/medical/custodial staff, plus family visitors.

I anticipate a few negatives, such as noise (ambulance sirens), parking, traffic. Not sure how much siren noise; we're told "less than a regular hospital." Also they're probably skimping with 30 staff parking spots by saying "most employees will subway to work" which I don't entirely buy. I assume it'll become much harder to find street parking.

But I'm wondering if there's also a positive impact. I'd love to see a small coffeeshop, diner, florist/gift shop etc. locating in this mostly residential working-class neighborhood. The building itself will offer some food-for-purchase for staff, visitors, and any "neighbors," but likely limited in scope. I'm hoping to see a glimmer of public economic activity generated onto nearby streets.

I volunteered at one in my hood. I mean, it is what it is. It's not bad; these residents are mainly ambulatory. We have our occasional block in traffic from the senior transportation. I don't think it brings the value of the neighborhood but the area itself is changing due to a "different" breed of residents living here so that itself is bringing new cafes, apartments, supermarkets, etc.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:32 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,866,838 times
When I was little I lived for a few years across the street from a senior citizen building highrise in NJ. I became quite the little garbage picker because there were always apartments just completely emptied out when a resident died. Many MANY times I found coffee cans full of change. I also used to sit in the dumpsters and spray every single aerosol can (not huffing!!! just spraying for fun) into the air. Anyway, i'd rather have senior citizens on my block than parents with children.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:41 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,305,185 times
I have been to several nursing homes visiting. I drive past many more south of Boston. To me they are almost invisible. A building and cars, and never too many people outside (unless coming from or going to their vehicle). No real activity like a neighborhood. Most fit in nicely with their surroundings. They don't stand out, whether brick or siding. No crazy colors. Invisible.

Even ones in Brockton (not such a great reputation for the city) don't attract much attention. Most of the bad things happen on the streets or in homes. Nursing Homes always seem peaceful (whether imagined or real). Obviously I have no real issues with nursing homes, until you go inside and see and feel all the sorrow and pain.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:18 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,258,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I have been to several nursing homes visiting. I drive past many more south of Boston. To me they are almost invisible. A building and cars, and never too many people outside (unless coming from or going to their vehicle). No real activity like a neighborhood. Most fit in nicely with their surroundings. They don't stand out, whether brick or siding. No crazy colors. Invisible.

Even ones in Brockton (not such a great reputation for the city) don't attract much attention. Most of the bad things happen on the streets or in homes. Nursing Homes always seem peaceful (whether imagined or real). Obviously I have no real issues with nursing homes, until you go inside and see and feel all the sorrow and pain.
I agree 100 %...🏥
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City