Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:00 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
As a former and future Chicagoan (finishing up a semester of school) I couldn't imagine living in many other parts of the country. My list would probably include NYC, San Fran, Boston, Philly, and Seattle.

It seems like when the car came around our country made a drastic move from urban devolopment.

I found out that I loved walking, riding the "El', and experiencing the city on a much more personal level than behind the wheel.

I did not take a single vacation the entire summer because I didn't need too...everything that I wanted (atleast for the 4 months I was there) was at my fingertips. The random people, situations, and personalities that you run into are what makes city living so unique.

I gladly give up my car, suburban larger home, and backyard for that.
I agree 100% and that's basically my list as well. Unfortunately it's largely the most expensive places but I think there's a reason for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 12:53 PM

182 posts, read 436,105 times
A brand new track-home in Missouri is probably just as hard for me to swallow as it is for you to accept living in NYC. The buildings and architecture here has so much character and things are just so interesting. Entertainment is everywhere; I could walk outside right now and probably find some angry dude yelling about the government. Whenever I go to some newly-developed suburban town, where all the houses look the same, it honestly makes me nauseous. It seems like places other than older cities, be it NYC, Boston, Phili, Buffalo, Pittsburgh or etc, are fake. Florida, i think, is a prime example of this. Even the "urban" areas have been developed and micromanaged down to the last detail. I just find it to be very uninteresting and superficial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thureen View Post
I have always wanted to ask how do people manage to live in NY? I recently graduated college and went all over the U.S. for interviews. Did a interview in NYC, in Brooklyn. My experience just traveling didn't go over that well and decided definitely against moving NYC. I don't want offend anyone, but I personally think I would not be able to manage living in NYC myself.

I have lived in Columbia, Missouri (town 80k) most of my life. Way to used to being able to drive anywhere in town easily. I ended moving to Dallas, Texas to work in Garland, TX. It about a 15 min to 20 min drive to work. I will also admit I am Geek and spend most of my time at home in front of the Computer. Don't have much of a night life/club going/etc at all.

NYC seemed way to hard to manage. First of all I think almost everyone is taking public transport because it nearly impossible drive or own a car. I have been on the Subways and Buses in NYC and they seem quite crowded to me. I probably would be fed up after month of subways trips and dying to go back being able to drive to/from work.

Also, most people are renting and maybe some living in older house. So far I have lived in my parent's brand new houses in Missouri. After living in real house I can't stand idea of living in apartment/older house for too long. They are darn cheap in MO, about 3 story 3000 sq and total with payments is $1100 a month (mortgage + insurance + property tax). Texas I will admit is more expensive but I probably afford to still get new house in year or so. I doubt I would have been able to get brand new house in NYC area ever.

I keep on hearing how bad crime is in NYC. When I was there some place seemed pretty run down and crime filled. Is that really true? I personally haven't experience any serious criminal activity in my life.

After looking around in and hearing about NYC, I got easily scared way. I Know millions of people manage to do just fine there. Was wondering how you guys do it?

Old 01-30-2008, 09:26 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,152 times
One more thing: Nary a month goes by when I don't turn on some L&O or other, Sex and the City, and so on, and cry out, "Oh that's _______'s block!" "Gosh, I love that restaurant!" "I see my windows!!!" "How come I didn't see them shooting that day?"

When my niece came to check out NYU, her mom/my sis spotted the trailer near Washington Sq. Park and wondered what it was. "Looks like Law & Order," I answered nonchalantly (and correctly).

I have a friend whose building has been an L&O shooting location. When you get a view through the window of a victim's/suspect's family's apartment, it's fun to guess the building (or block) where it was shot.

Best of both worlds: you can feel famous without losing your anonymity.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:24 PM

6 posts, read 13,176 times
Not trying to be rude, but the real question is,....how the did/do you manage to live in Missouri?

Old 01-31-2008, 07:02 AM

82 posts, read 545,935 times
It all comes down to what you are looking for in life..without sounding too philosophical. I'm from NYC and have since moved to TX. It's not exactly my dream location. People down here always ask me and my husband about NYC and how we could live there. If you prefer the small town life then that's perfectly fine. I feel a bit trapped here since I cannot walk anywhere, I always have to get in my car for anything I need, not much to do, no diners to go to at 4am, etc. But for people I know who were born and raised here..they wouldn't have it any other away...and you're probably the same way.

I also agree with the last post. I probably could never live in MO. I'm too much of a city person.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:39 AM

27 posts, read 113,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thureen View Post
I have always wanted to ask how do people manage to live in NY? I recently graduated college and went all over the U.S. for interviews. Did a interview in NYC, in Brooklyn. My experience just traveling didn't go over that well and decided definitely against moving NYC. I don't want offend anyone, but I personally think I would not be able to manage living in NYC myself.

I have lived in Columbia, Missouri (town 80k) most of my life. Way to used to being able to drive anywhere in town easily. I ended moving to Dallas, Texas to work in Garland, TX. It about a 15 min to 20 min drive to work. I will also admit I am Geek and spend most of my time at home in front of the Computer. Don't have much of a night life/club going/etc at all.

NYC seemed way to hard to manage. First of all I think almost everyone is taking public transport because it nearly impossible drive or own a car. I have been on the Subways and Buses in NYC and they seem quite crowded to me. I probably would be fed up after month of subways trips and dying to go back being able to drive to/from work.

Also, most people are renting and maybe some living in older house. So far I have lived in my parent's brand new houses in Missouri. After living in real house I can't stand idea of living in apartment/older house for too long. They are darn cheap in MO, about 3 story 3000 sq and total with payments is $1100 a month (mortgage + insurance + property tax). Texas I will admit is more expensive but I probably afford to still get new house in year or so. I doubt I would have been able to get brand new house in NYC area ever.

I keep on hearing how bad crime is in NYC. When I was there some place seemed pretty run down and crime filled. Is that really true? I personally haven't experience any serious criminal activity in my life.

After looking around in and hearing about NYC, I got easily scared way. I Know millions of people manage to do just fine there. Was wondering how you guys do it?
Thureen - I grew up and lived in Springfield, MO for 25 years. My best friend lived in Columbia and I spent a lot of time there.
I think you are listening to too many myths about NYC. Sure, there are bad neighborhoods, you just don't to them. Manhattan itself is pretty safe. I really can't think of a safer place to be than Midtown. In the spring I go to Rockefeller Center around the block from my office and nap on a bench and no one is going to mess with me. There are cops everywhere and half the other people out there are napping too.
Of course there are sketchy areas of Manhattan too but again you just avoid them. Manhattan in the 80's and early 90's is a different Manhattan than the one you see today.
Personally I love public transit. I gladly sold my car and never want another one. Driving in this city is an absolute nightmare. I think you would go running back underground after a couple days of that.
The trains can be super crowded during rush hour but you learn to avoid it if necessary. For instance if the A train comes by and it is stuffed I don't get on that one and I wait for the next one which is almost always much less crowded and I can get a seat.
I am a single woman in the city and I have never once been assaulted or felt truly scared something was going to happen.
Of course, some people are just not wired to live in a big city. It takes a lot of energy to live here and some days I am dragging my feet on my home. It takes a lot out of you to live with 8 million other people in a city that is as fast paced as this one. I walk ALOT more than I ever did, which is great! I have lost twenty pounds from just living in the city.
Personally I love living here. I love having access to all the wonderful museums, plays, restaraunts. You see things in NYC that you would never see in another city and it just becomes normal after awhile.

And you will never be able to purchase a brand new house in NYC.....there are no houses in Manhattan.

Perhaps you should plan a vacation and just come here to visit. Stay in a hotel, plan out a trip of things you would want to see and do. THe best way to see the city is to just set out on foot and just walk and walk. I do that on the weekends. I get my camera and go for marathon walks starting in Battery Park and walking up the West Side walkway to 34th st taking pictures.......and it is perfectly safe.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:03 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,221 times
And you will never be able to purchase a brand new house in NYC.....there are no houses in Manhattan.

gaia227,

what exactly you mean by that? First of all, New York City is much more than just Manhattan. If you want a suburban house, you'll have them all over Queens and Brooklyn (new construction, yes, such as the new development in Far Rockaway). And in Manhattan herself, you could buy a townhouse, a co-op, a condo, a walk-up. I don't know what your definition of a "house" is, but there certainly are living places to buy in New York City (if you have the money, of course).

Old 02-04-2008, 12:21 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
I stayed in Columbia, MO for 2 days and could not wait to get out!

And yes, there are "houses" in NYC. A friend of a friend in HS had a party at his parent's townhouse and jeez, looking back, I can only imagine how much that cost (3 levels, ballroom, etc)

Old 02-04-2008, 02:37 PM

27 posts, read 113,006 times
I guarantee you someone from Columbia has a very different idea of a house than what we would consider a house in NY. A house to someone in the mw is a two story house with a front porch, driveway, garage, backyard with a swingset for the kids, etc.
A house in NYC is more like what you said, a townhouse. And you're right I cannot even begin to imagine how much something like would cost.
Of course when you get out into the boroughs that is a whole different story.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:20 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Out of the over 8 million people that live in the city, only 1.6 million of them live in Manhattan.

Trust me, there are plenty of houses to be bought in NYC that have all of the attributes that you listed. The houses are generally just smaller with a lot smaller yard than what you'd get in a more suburban/rural area.

Lots of new construction is actually going up in the outer boroughs as well. Thats why everyone's complaining about the new Fedder Homes and the McMansions going up everywhere in the outerboroughs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaia227 View Post
I guarantee you someone from Columbia has a very different idea of a house than what we would consider a house in NY. A house to someone in the mw is a two story house with a front porch, driveway, garage, backyard with a swingset for the kids, etc.
A house in NYC is more like what you said, a townhouse. And you're right I cannot even begin to imagine how much something like would cost.
Of course when you get out into the boroughs that is a whole different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City