Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 12:51 PM

47 posts, read 270,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeJ View Post
Funny, I sometimes find myself wondering where else I could possibly live if not NYC. Being as how I am an aspiring artist (or at least trying to work in the arts) and can't drive a car to save my life.
Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston (assuming a decent arts scene).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 08:36 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,429 times
I am stuck in suburbia in Georgia and it is so depressing. To the original poster, the same way you couldn't imagine living in NY, i just don't see how anybody can live outside of NY. I'm just outside of Atlanta, supposedly a major city, whatever...The thing is that if you have lived anywhere else other than NY, then Atlanta is probably a good place by normal people's standards. But NYC is unique. I can't get used to this lifestyle. I tried Florida too, it was the same thing. I hate having to sit in my car to drive everywhere. Traffic is a nightmare. And then people are always saying how they can't imagine living in NY because of the perceived crime level being high or the people being rude. Are you kidding me? The crime in the South is like so much worse than anything i've ever experienced in NY. And the southern hospitality is a myth. I have come here with an open mind. I have gone to all the attractions and have tried to mix and mingle with coworkers but everybody seems to be in their own little world. I know it's not just me because people that i've met from NY/NJ that have relocated feel the same way. And i'm not one of those people that goes around talking about NY this and NY that because they resent that down here.
Sorry i'm ranting....i have to let it out once in a while. But seriously, i can't wait to get out of here. I feel like i'm in the twilight zone.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:27 PM

182 posts, read 436,136 times
Never been to SF but I have heard nothing but good things. I am going to be checking out the west coast for the first time in June. One of cousins is going to show me around Cali from LA to SF-can't wait. I will pay attention to the SF architecture though. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imadeit View Post
have you seen the architecture in San Francisco and it is actually clean and well maintained unlike NYC!

Old 02-24-2008, 01:29 AM

9 posts, read 75,674 times
I can't imagine living in a town of 80k. I guess the first noter is right... how do YOU do it?

Old 02-24-2008, 07:26 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
I actually just got back from St.Louis. I couldn't believe that they actually call that a "big" city. There's the downtown area, which is like a "big" city, but once you leave downtown and see other parts of that "city," it's more desolate than Long Island (where i'm from, by the way). We didn't see one grocery store the entire time we were there. My fiance was sick and we couldn't find any decent place to get him medicine. It felt like little towns. No wonder why people outside the NYC metro area consider Long Island a city. Now I know where they're coming from. I also felt more in danger over there too. It was creepy walking around the downtown area even on a Saturday night--there were hardly any people walking around. I told my fiance I would rather it be crowded and busy than not having anyone walk by you for 5 minutes. It makes me feel a lot safer having lots of people around me, in case something would happen. And they call that a big city, psh...lol

Old 02-24-2008, 08:24 AM

79 posts, read 258,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
I am stuck in suburbia in Georgia and it is so depressing. To the original poster, the same way you couldn't imagine living in NY, i just don't see how anybody can live outside of NY. I'm just outside of Atlanta, supposedly a major city, whatever...The thing is that if you have lived anywhere else other than NY, then Atlanta is probably a good place by normal people's standards. But NYC is unique. I can't get used to this lifestyle. I tried Florida too, it was the same thing. I hate having to sit in my car to drive everywhere. Traffic is a nightmare. And then people are always saying how they can't imagine living in NY because of the perceived crime level being high or the people being rude. Are you kidding me? The crime in the South is like so much worse than anything i've ever experienced in NY. And the southern hospitality is a myth. I have come here with an open mind. I have gone to all the attractions and have tried to mix and mingle with coworkers but everybody seems to be in their own little world. I know it's not just me because people that i've met from NY/NJ that have relocated feel the same way. And i'm not one of those people that goes around talking about NY this and NY that because they resent that down here.
Sorry i'm ranting....i have to let it out once in a while. But seriously, i can't wait to get out of here. I feel like i'm in the twilight zone.
I completely understand your plight. I moved to the Atlanta metro area in late 2006 because I thought life would be so much better here than NY, but I'm just miserable! I've tried to adjust to the southern lifestyle, but I can't. I'm a New Yorker at heart! Atlanta is nice for some, but it's just not me.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 6,066 times
Someone who lives in NYC lives here for the lifestyle, not for the housing.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:48 AM

425 posts, read 958,459 times
New York can be tough to live in, between the cost of living and the congestion, but there is good and bad with the transit system, yes it can get crowded, but then again, it is the most comprhensive mass trnasit system in the nation, you can literarly get to just about any area in NYC without a car.

Places like LA, Chicago & DC have great system, but ot to the extent of NY.

I like not having to need a car.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:42 PM

43 posts, read 82,904 times
It's definitely not easy living in NYC but somehow I manage. I don't have a huge salary relatively speaking (I'm a federal employee) but I won a lottery for a co-op through the city a year and a half ago which was a real blessing for me. However my mortgage & maintenance together are not cheap for me so I have to be careful and budget. I'm not the type that likes going out clubbing or partying. I mostly like to just stay home. But if I wanted to (and I don't, heh) there's a millions things to do for social interaction. There's public transportation to any part of this city which makes things easier and cheaper but it's also incredibly aggravating because the public transportation in this city just is. Shopping here is great but I can't afford designer duds and am not really that interested in expensive labels. I stick mostly close to home and once in a blue moon dare to venture out to a mall or department store. It's all up to the individual how they want to manage living here.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,913,974 times
I feel like there are *some* people that like living in NYC but are a bit delusional about it since they seem to think NYC is the ONLY place that can offer positive things, and positive city things, and that isnt true at all.

Some of the people on this thread that say how they like NYC sound kind of snobby towards other places. Especially this one person who is complaining about San Francisco and California compared to NYC, which especially irritated me.

Its perfectly fine if someone like things about NYC(I like things about NYC too). Its also fine if someone feels like there arent many other places that would be a good fit for them other than that city. But what matter how much may love a particular place, they shouldnt be so arrogant about it. They should be able to see how other places can offer positive things, and even some similar positive things as NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City