Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 08:22 AM

988 posts, read 1,740,809 times

Advertisements

So, as a broker in NYC, thought I'd chime in..

If you want to live in Manhattan, by all means, go for it! But you should be aware of some realistic issues you will face:

For starters, your boyfriend absolutely will need to have found employment by the time you start looking; most landlords won't even consider your application based solely upon your salary. Furthermore, there is a decent possibility you will most likely have to put up extra security, anywhere from an extra month to 3 months, since neither you nor your boyfriend will have been at your jobs for at least a year; landlords like to see job stability. That being said, you're moving in the winter when landlords are more flexible, so hopefully you can negotiate that to not having to pay extra security.

The biggest impediment will be your budget; your $2500 budget generally will not get you very far in prime Manhattan neighborhoods, except for the Lower East Side and Upper East Side, probably Hell's Kitchen also. Most apartments in that price range are generally studios or very small 1BRs, so adjust your expectations accordingly. You will most definitely be paying for location and sacrificing size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 08:33 AM

204 posts, read 291,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berniekosar19 View Post
So, as a broker in NYC, thought I'd chime in..

If you want to live in Manhattan, by all means, go for it! But you should be aware of some realistic issues you will face:

For starters, your boyfriend absolutely will need to have found employment by the time you start looking; most landlords won't even consider your application based solely upon your salary. Furthermore, there is a decent possibility you will most likely have to put up extra security, anywhere from an extra month to 3 months, since neither you nor your boyfriend will have been at your jobs for at least a year; landlords like to see job stability. That being said, you're moving in the winter when landlords are more flexible, so hopefully you can negotiate that to not having to pay extra security.

The biggest impediment will be your budget; your $2500 budget generally will not get you very far in prime Manhattan neighborhoods, except for the Lower East Side and Upper East Side, probably Hell's Kitchen also. Most apartments in that price range are generally studios or very small 1BRs, so adjust your expectations accordingly. You will most definitely be paying for location and sacrificing size.
Thank you for this! We're definitely willing to put down extra money if it means getting an apartment. We understand that getting an apartment in NYC is not the same as getting an apartment in South Florida. We're also not looking for the trendiest of areas. We want somewhere safe and in close proximity to the subway, and a 1/1 is a must (although it doesn't have to be huge.) I happen to love the UES and from what I've heard, can get more for my money compared to somewhere more popular with a younger crowd. I've looked at all the apps out there and there seems to be apartments available now in that price range... they might be a little further from the train but I'm also okay with that. Obviously by the time we can get an apartment, it will still be a few months, and hopefully because it's winter we'll have better luck.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:06 AM

257 posts, read 685,251 times
Jamaica is in New York City! You'll get much more helpful responses if you start saying Manhattan instead of "the city".

Your best case scenario for a subway commute to Jamaica is 40 minutes, and that's assuming that you live close to one of the midtown stations of the E-train.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:23 AM

988 posts, read 1,740,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu00 View Post
Thank you for this! We're definitely willing to put down extra money if it means getting an apartment. We understand that getting an apartment in NYC is not the same as getting an apartment in South Florida. We're also not looking for the trendiest of areas. We want somewhere safe and in close proximity to the subway, and a 1/1 is a must (although it doesn't have to be huge.) I happen to love the UES and from what I've heard, can get more for my money compared to somewhere more popular with a younger crowd. I've looked at all the apps out there and there seems to be apartments available now in that price range... they might be a little further from the train but I'm also okay with that. Obviously by the time we can get an apartment, it will still be a few months, and hopefully because it's winter we'll have better luck.
Yes, UES is definitely your best bet for getting a true 1BR; just note that you'll most likely be closer to First & York Aves, which can be quite the hike to the subway. The fact that you have so much money in the bank saved already definitely helps with negotiating not to pay any extra security, but your boyfriend absolutely must have a job in hand before you can feasibly think about renting somewhere.

Best of luck with your search, and if you have any further questions, feel free to PM me; renting in NYC is a unique experience and I'd love to help you with any further questions you may have (not trying to solicit any business btw; just looking to help out).

Old 11-25-2015, 09:33 AM

5,125 posts, read 4,972,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu00 View Post
I agree with what you said about it being more lively and urban than South Florida. When I say QOL, it's a personal preference thing... I like the crowds, I like the noise, I like the rush, even the smell doesn't bother me. .
Check out Flushing, it has all the QOL elements you specified and itis a stone throw from Jamaica plus its predominant taste of East Asia.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:47 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,933 times
What kind of lawyer is your boyfriend? Keep in mind that there are plenty of attorneys in New York City that make good money but can't afford to live in Manhattan. Don't be surprised that even with the addition of his salary, you are still priced out of the areas that you might like to live in.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:49 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
Jamaica is in New York City! You'll get much more helpful responses if you start saying Manhattan instead of "the city".
To folks who live in the outer boroughs, Manhattan is widely referred to as "the city". I've never lived a day of my life outside of NYC, have lived in both Manhattan and the Bronx, and always call Manahttan "the city".

Old 11-25-2015, 11:01 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,933 times
I am a native New Yorker and a life long resident of Brooklyn and I have never referred to 'Manhattan' as the city. I usually say that I am going to Manhattan or whatever neighborhood in Manhattan. I first heard that term when I was in graduate school and I wondered what city people were going to on the weekends-people acted like it was a major trek just to cross the river to another borough.

So while there are many outer borough people that refer to Manhattan as the city, some of us don't. As for the OP, you don't have to live in Manhattan to experience Manhattan.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniekosar19 View Post
Yes, UES is definitely your best bet for getting a true 1BR; just note that you'll most likely be closer to First & York Aves, which can be quite the hike to the subway. The fact that you have so much money in the bank saved already definitely helps with negotiating not to pay any extra security, but your boyfriend absolutely must have a job in hand before you can feasibly think about renting somewhere.

Best of luck with your search, and if you have any further questions, feel free to PM me; renting in NYC is a unique experience and I'd love to help you with any further questions you may have (not trying to solicit any business btw; just looking to help out).
Thank you! I may definitely take you up on the offer and reach out when the time comes. I appreciate it.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
What kind of lawyer is your boyfriend? Keep in mind that there are plenty of attorneys in New York City that make good money but can't afford to live in Manhattan. Don't be surprised that even with the addition of his salary, you are still priced out of the areas that you might like to live in.
Right now he does foreclosure law, but he's open to doing anything. He knows he won't make 6 figures, and he's fine with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: