Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 10:11 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
There are already developers lining up for this neighborhood. That wouldn't be the case if they were waiting for the SAS, which based on its track history, could take another 50 years.
Yes, because developers know the SAS is gonna be extended to EH. The money is there, but its the MTA and its mismanagement that delays the process every. single. time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanadventurer View Post
it already is kind of the "ghetto 34th st". Bus lanes you can't ever use. No turns allowed anywhere. It's a nightmare.

124th is the cop shop so i assume the hooligans cut a wide path around that street.
+1

Old 12-13-2015, 10:16 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Yes, because developers know the SAS is gonna be extended to EH. The money is there, but its the MTA and its mismanagement that delays the process every. single. time.
The city and state did not approve phase 2 of the Second Avenue Subway until LAST MONTH! That wasn't the MTA's fault. Now the MTA has the go ahead to start the design work. City, state, and federal officials all told them that their plan to start construction in 2020 was completely unacceptable and they must seriously speed up the time line. The MTA now claims they will do what they can to start construction next year. We will see.

I think EH is attractive enough even without the SAS, but once phase 2 is built of course property values will go up. Eventually it will go all the way downtown.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:28 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Funny that people do not know about media rights capital dude, a factor here.
Appealing an eminent domain judgment as we speak.
What happens with that will have a lot to do with outcomes in this area.

A more "everyday" thing - "ghetto" 34th is a great and accurate descriptor. There is a major problem in Harlem broadly speaking with the lack of decent amenities, non dollar store stuff. People are tired of it and it is a true deal-breaker.

Whole Foods ...? Great. Need far, far more.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The city and state did not approve phase 2 of the Second Avenue Subway until LAST MONTH! That wasn't the MTA's fault. Now the MTA has the go ahead to start the design work. City, state, and federal officials all told them that their plan to start construction in 2020 was completely unacceptable and they must seriously speed up the time line. The MTA now claims they will do what they can to start construction next year. We will see.

I think EH is attractive enough even without the SAS, but once phase 2 is built of course property values will go up. Eventually it will go all the way downtown.
The money has BEEN there. MTA was waiting on Obama to sign off on the transportation bill, which needed to move through the house and senate, once it did, they knew they were getting a cut of that 300 billion. Hence why it was approved. Transit KNEW they were getting a cut for they have been in discussions with Washington for a while. Why do you think the MTA has so many outside entities micro-managing them? They have a long history of money mismanagement. Yes, misappropriating finances that are allocated to them for capital projects and such, is THEIR FAULT. it's nobody elses.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:40 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Funny that people do not know about media rights capital dude, a factor here.
Appealing an eminent domain judgment as we speak.
What happens with that will have a lot to do with outcomes in this area.

A more "everyday" thing - "ghetto" 34th is a great and accurate descriptor. There is a major problem in Harlem broadly speaking with the lack of decent amenities, non dollar store stuff. People are tired of it and it is a true deal-breaker.

Whole Foods ...? Great. Need far, far more.
Yes, but according to that article the eminent domain site is one block south of this. So even if the original property holders get that back (they might as the city allowed the site to remain empty for years) it does not stop the development plans on the site mentioned in the OP. Nor does it stop other developments that are already pending.

You are right about Harlem needing more amenities. They are on their way. I remember it was big news for bank branches to come to 125th Street.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:51 AM

93 posts, read 109,973 times
Whats are the prices for rentals or condos [1/2bedrooms]in the area? Are they over priced because it 'might' be up and coming ... anything over 200K for a 1 bedroom might be nutty if you have to wear a bullet proof vest if you walk in and out your doorman building.

I'm sure the area of Pleasant Avenue exploded in prices once Target Mall came there.

I wonder if I should take a buy out in the east village and move on up to the east side of Harlem... I got my crystal door knobs ready

Old 12-13-2015, 10:54 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hand View Post
Whats are the prices for rentals or condos [1/2bedrooms]in the area? Are they over priced because it 'might' be up and coming ... anything over 200K for a 1 bedroom might be nutty if you have to wear a bullet proof vest if you walk in and out your doorman building.

The fact that you think this way means that you might have trouble fitting in.

And/or have not done responsible research.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:12 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
is there any where I need to eat before this goes full scale?

You know what needs more gentrification? Bushwick!

Old 12-13-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hand View Post

I'm sure the area of Pleasant Avenue exploded in prices once Target Mall came there.

I wonder if I should take a buy out in the east village and move on up to the east side of Harlem... I got my crystal door knobs ready
It depends. If you get a pre-war building, you might pay 1-2k a month. a new building will run you higher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City