Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 04:22 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times

Advertisements

"I WISH I could afford to move back to Harlem"

Say that 3 times Toto! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 04:46 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
+1

YES. that's what i mean about neighborhoods lacking DRAW. who the hell is gonna wanna move to a area with just dollar stores, off-brand chicken, streetwear clothing, and liquor stores? nobody.
You should visit Bed Stuy and see who is living there now. It may surprise you.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:09 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
It is street oriented to LOW INCOME families. Bottom retail.

And we are already annoyed at the number of bars and restaurants that have opened.
125th has a Body Shop, Fairway Market, House of Hoops, an American Apparel, MAC Cosmetics, a GAP/Banana Republic Outlet, an Old Navy, H&M, Soon to be a Whole Foods and American Eagle.

These aren't catering to just low income folks.
The chain restaurants certainly may, but there are plenty of other low income havens in NYC- yet none stuck like 125th did. It has just about everything, in fact- I doubt there is a street in all of Manhattan with half as many unique fast food chains.

When Darden opened a Red Lobster over the Apollo Theater it became fairly clear that the powers-that-be were interested in creating a Times Square like shopping experience uptown.

West Harlem saw the largest rent increases (by percentage) city-wide in the last 10 years.
I imagine it will be a very expensive neighborhood in the near future.

What -it is- lacking though are the series of bars most other 'nabes' in Manhattan have.
I think it's very interesting that a lack of drinking establishments may have been one thing that kept Harlem's desirability at bay.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:18 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
125th has a Body Shop, Fairway Market, House of Hoops, an American Apparel, MAC Cosmetics, a GAP/Banana Republic Outlet, an Old Navy, H&M, Soon to be a Whole Foods and American Eagle.

The chain restaurants certainly may, but there are plenty of other low income havens in NYC- yet none stuck like 125th did. It has just about everything, in fact- I doubt there is a street in all of Manhattan with half as many unique fast food chains.

When Darden opened a Red Lobster over the Apollo Theater it became fairly clear that the powers-that-be were interested in creating a Times Square like shopping experience uptown.

West Harlem saw the largest rent increases (by percentage) city-wide in the last 10 years.

What -it is- lacking though are the series of bars most other 'nabes' in Manhattan have.
I think it's very interesting that a lack of drinking establishments may have been one thing that kept Harlem's desirability at bay.
There is no Fairway on 125th and neither Whole Foods nor American Eagle has opened - and in any case, regarding the latter ... really ?!

Note the presence of the word "outlet" on two occasions. "Outlet" is a way to incorporate the dollar-store crowd into the brand ($$$$$$$$$).

All cater to lower-income people. Don't believe me ? Stop by any time. I especially recommend the Old Navy for an eye-opening experience. Although H & M isn't bad in that regard either.

Harlem rents are already quite high - there, I have no idea what your point might be or what it has to do with what I said. Still, given this, far, far better amenities are needed. The market is here. It has been for some time.

Do not agree at all about the bars.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:45 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Quote:
There is no Fairway on 125th and neither Whole Foods nor American Eagle has opened - and in any case, regarding the latter ... really ?!

Note the presence of the word "outlet" on two occasions. "Outlet" is a way to incorporate the dollar-store crowd into the brand ($$$$$$$$$).

All cater to lower-income people. Don't believe me ? Stop by any time. I especially recommend the Old Navy for an eye-opening experience. Although H & M isn't bad in that regard either.

Harlem rents are already quite high - there, I have no idea what your point might be or what it has to do with what I said. Still, given this, far, far better amenities are needed. The market is here. It has been for some time.

I don't know what to tell you.
125th Street is middle class suburban with plenty of specks of 'urban hood' thrown in.
If you replicated the exact shopping across 23rd street downtown, you'd see a different clientèle- it isn't the shopping, it's the neighborhood.

If you follow 125th to the end, it hosts Fairway's Parking Lot. It's not exactly a trek.
In fact there used to be a Citarella on 125th too.

There's plenty of people around the area with money, and a ton more poor- the difference is, the broke people of the surrounding neighborhoods will travel to 125th to shop- but those from below 96th likely wouldn't come.

You also don't hear a ton of 20-somethings saying they are going up to Harlem to party. Even young African-Americans know that it isn't where the club scene is.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:48 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:

As soon as construction on the site is finished.......

"So far, steel framing has reached the second floor. Developer Jeff Sutton first broke ground on the six-story commercial project early last year, but it’s taken a while for work to get going.

Plans filed in early 2013 call for 161,285 square feet of commercial space in a 103-foot-tall building. In the intervening years, several major chains have signed on as tenants, including American Eagle, Burlington Coat Factory, Olive Garden and TD Bank. Furniture retailer Raymour and Flanigan filled the last retail space in May, according to the Post."

Steel Rises at Harlem Whole Foods, 100 West 125th Street - New York YIMBY

Old 12-13-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I don't know what to tell you.
125th Street is middle class suburban with plenty of specks of 'urban hood' thrown in.
If you replicated the exact shopping across 23rd street downtown, you'd see a different clientèle- it isn't the shopping, it's the neighborhood.

If you follow 125th to the end, it hosts Fairway's Parking Lot. It's not exactly a trek.
In fact there used to be a Citarella on 125th too.

There's plenty of people around the area with money, and a ton more poor- the difference is, the broke people of the surrounding neighborhoods will travel to 125th to shop- but those from below 96th likely wouldn't come.

You also don't hear a ton of 20-somethings saying they are going up to Harlem to party. Even young African-Americans know that it isn't where the club scene is.
Really appreciate all of the "information" but I actually live here and have for more than a decade. Before that I had family.

Citarella closed ages ago. It wasn't great. It was also really tiny. It was a terrific venue for expensive chocolate as long as it wasn't out of date. Chicken sometimes.

You can't know about an area by reading things and looking at maps. I know exactly where Fairway is located, trust me. Fairway is a "trek" from 125th Street proper and in an entirely different area.

I'm not sure where you live but there aren't any great clubs anywhere in New York. That era is basically over. There ARE a lot of bars in Harlem and they are packed every night.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
As soon as construction on the site is finished.......

"So far, steel framing has reached the second floor. Developer Jeff Sutton first broke ground on the six-story commercial project early last year, but it’s taken a while for work to get going.

Plans filed in early 2013 call for 161,285 square feet of commercial space in a 103-foot-tall building. In the intervening years, several major chains have signed on as tenants, including American Eagle, Burlington Coat Factory, Olive Garden and TD Bank. Furniture retailer Raymour and Flanigan filled the last retail space in May, according to the Post."

Steel Rises at Harlem Whole Foods, 100 West 125th Street - New York YIMBY

Is this person actually on drugs ?

Gee, thanks for the ground-breaking information. I had no idea.

And nor do you is my guess - especially if you think THAT is news.

Yahoo, Burlington Coat Factory. Cannot wait. TD Bank. Time to cash in the change ... oh, wait, there are five others on 125th.

For anyone else, none of these are upscale amenities.

For the record ...? people are hoping on the Columbia building retail spaces but who knows when that will be.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:35 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:

The lack of drinking establishments is probably good long term.

Places further downtown as they gentrified LOST a lot of drinking establishments. While the high commercial rents were a factor, as neighborhoods gentrify well off people do not like having lots of bars around that attract people from all over.

The Lower East Side and East Village in the past few years have a net loss of bars. Chelsea overall is not a place you go to for it's bar scene anymore.

I think across the city as a whole community bars do not allow many new bars to open up. I don't think Harlem's Community Boards will allow an influx of bars.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

I think across the city as a whole community bars do not allow many new bars to open up. I don't think Harlem's Community Boards will allow an influx of bars.
Nor should they - there have been too many already, and packed into a rather small area.

There is another upscale whiskey bar opening off Broadway a block or so from Fairway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City