Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 02:40 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,897,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
The fact that you think this way means that you might have trouble fitting in.

And/or have not done responsible research.
+1

granted, EH aint sh**, but it is not Chicago right now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 03:35 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,897,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Funny that people do not know about media rights capital dude, a factor here.
There is a major problem in Harlem broadly speaking with the lack of decent amenities non dollar store stuff. People are tired of it and it is a true deal-breaker.
+1

YES. that's what i mean about neighborhoods lacking DRAW. who the hell is gonna wanna move to a area with just dollar stores, off-brand chicken, streetwear clothing, and liquor stores? nobody.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:52 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,081,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
+1

YES. that's what i mean about neighborhoods lacking DRAW. who the hell is gonna wanna move to a area with just dollar stores, off-brand chicken, streetwear clothing, and liquor stores? nobody.
That's one of the interesting things about a neighborhood so deeply rooted in African American culture- 125th street in Harlem, has virtually no bars. It's quite a family oriented street.

Movie Theater, Chuck E Cheese, Nearly every Chain Restaurant one could imagine.
It looks far more like a major thoroughfare on Long Island than it does Manhattan.

You have the Cotton Club and Showmans- for live affairs.
Dinge dive bars that now sell $11 cocktails throughout lower manhattan and brooklyn were always absent in a neighborhood where socialization took place at home / family events.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:55 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,934,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
That's one of the interesting things about a neighborhood so deeply rooted in African American culture- 125th street in Harlem, has virtually no bars. It's quite a family oriented street.
It is street oriented to LOW INCOME families. Bottom retail.

And we are already annoyed at the number of bars and restaurants that have opened.

Last edited by Harlem resident; 12-13-2015 at 04:18 PM..

Old 12-13-2015, 03:59 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,858,257 times
Quote:
who the hell is gonna wanna move to a area with just dollar stores, off-brand chicken, streetwear clothing, and liquor stores? nobody.

Those of us who buy stuff from dollar stores, off brand chicken and liquor stores? Believe it or not, not everyone who wants to live in NYC wants to spend 40 dollars for a bag of kale lettuce everytime we have to feed ourselves. Disgusting.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:01 PM

I don't think the powers that be realize that "bottom-end retail" just doesn't serve very low income folks. WTF happens when your local bodega turns into a fauxdega and the price of a pack of cigs (which I don't smoke anymore, but for all intents...) turn from 10 bux to 16? And everything else rises up too. It's annoying ,frustrating, and enough to make even people like me hate on the new comers and their uppity-ass bank accounts.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post

Those of us who buy stuff from dollar stores, off brand chicken and liquor stores? Believe it or not, not everyone who wants to live in NYC wants to spend 40 dollars for a bag of kale lettuce everytime we have to feed ourselves. Disgusting.
Great. You should move to Harlem.

However, people who dislike that sort of shopping experience would like something around to serve US.

Currently, there is just about nothing aside from maybe two decent restaurants, 457 terrible ones not up to a New York standard, and another "theme" bar opening every day.

You know, alongside Dunkin' Donuts something like Think Coffee. Or something local even.
Instead of an "outlet," how about the actual store.

And, yeah, believe it or not ...? Some of us are Harlem natives.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I don't think the powers that be realize that "bottom-end retail" just doesn't serve very low income folks. WTF happens when your local bodega turns into a fauxdega and the price of a pack of cigs (which I don't smoke anymore, but for all intents...) turn from 10 bux to 16? And everything else rises up too. It's annoying ,frustrating, and enough to make even people like me hate on the new comers and their uppity-ass bank accounts.
Not all people with "uppity-ass bank accounts" are newcomers.

Second, taxes raised the price of cigarettes.
That's where the "Newpor', Newpor' ..." guy came from on 125th.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:17 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,355,658 times
Only rentals? That's a pity.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:21 PM

quote:
Great. You should move to Harlem.

I moved out of that shathole in 2008. Only to move into a new kind of one. :/ I WISH I could afford to move back to Harlem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City