Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 10:40 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,966,007 times

Advertisements

If NYC gubment want to increase its own revenue service by moving in wealthier people, and driving out poorer people, those poor people will go to another city, or town and increase the strain on that town or city's budget.

At some point those towns and city's become poorer and need to increase revenue streams. How else will they do this other than the same thing of pushing out poor, bring in rich.

This really is a national issue that federal, state, and municipal need to address together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 12:30 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,280,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What is on that spot right now? Is it residential? What will happen to those people living there?

And arent there lots of chinese moving there?
Quote:
If NYC gubment want to increase its own revenue service by moving in wealthier people, and driving out poorer people, those poor people will go to another city, or town and increase the strain on that town or city's budget.

At some point those towns and city's become poorer and need to increase revenue streams. How else will they do this other than the same thing of pushing out poor, bring in rich.

This really is a national issue that federal, state, and municipal need to address together.
From what I've read on here the Chinese are moving to the Bronx to be near a certain school of science for their kids. I can't remember if it's a high school or a college. I'd have to search the NYC forum to find the threads they mention it in. Unless someone else can recall it.

The other area they're moving is parts of Brooklyn. In a quiet low income or working class area. I want to say it was either Midwood or Bensonhurst. I remember not that long ago watching people on here who grew up there candidly reminiscing about what it was like and how the neighborhood was changing. That was the first time to really read some insight into the area by locals on here that didn't seem to post much otherwise. Every now and then you get a good thread filled with stories like that about the interesting daily life in their area. I think it was probably Bensonhurst because I remember another thread about Hasidic Jews living mostly in Midwood. That was when a fire caused by a heating element left on during a holiday killed around 6 of their kids while the Dad was away. Sad.

I like reading threads where something comes up that sparks people's interest and then people start coming out of the woodwork talking about their life experiences in that area, chewing the fat together, and that gets really interesting to hear about. Mostly because we don't have all that where I've lived out West. It's interesting to read about the different cultures and what's it like there. I never knew NYC to be so divisive before coming on C-D.

It was kind of surprising to me the emphasis they put on differences and how they stack the merit of an individual based on everything from finance to race to ethnic background, gender, education, down to the school they went to. Since I apparently come from a culturally homogenized America. And I'm not sure how they define that but I suspect when they say Mid-West aka 'Amurica' it's anything that's not of the original 13 colonies and west of that. Though in my minds eye I see a picture that it's even more localized than that to the northern 13 colonies or what was known as "Yankees" during the civil war era. Somehow that is still playing out and has a large roll in the collective conscious in that region.

Where as I see the rest of the country was taught from primary school that all races are equal, all religion are equal, we're not to see people as different but part of a larger group where we're all Americans. We're not a melting pot but a salad bowl of individuals each with their own properties but part of the greater whole, and that's what makes it so good. Yet with the corporatization from globalization we have the same strip malls in every town and city, same big banks, same sales, we all wear red, white and blue. We're taught to love one another with brotherly love. Go to school. Get a college education or a trade. Be a good citizen. Get a good job. Raise a family. Have family values. Be a good neighbor. Be kind to one another.

So coming back full circle to the topic of this thread. These gentrification or rather latest development topics seem to address the same issues. Change is happening. Growth is happening. The good and the bad are listed categorically. People put in their conjectures. People are moving here and there. People are being displaced. This is happening all over the planet really. The population is growing and we're adjusting for that as it comes. That's what our ancestors did before us except they migrated like the animals with the weather because they needed to stay near water and food sources. Now we have modern technologies and conveniences that allow us not to be nomadic. We went through the agricultural age. Now we're in the information age where we can teach ourselves anything. It's all at our fingers tips. Imagine if people learned to grow their own food. Fix their own things when they break. Become more resourceful so that if they want to stay where they are they have to think outside the box to do it, or move where it's happening for them. So forth.

There was a movement that went around the world to try to change things. Even though we don't hear about it much anymore. I think it's still going on and perhaps we haven't heard the last of it. I believe the embers are still burning. What it came down to was that people wanted change but there were no leaders from the group for that change because no one wanted to lead. I believe because they didn't know how to govern something so big. So when this was recognized it because a compromise. A sort of growing pain of adolescents. The hearts and minds were in the right place but they weren't ready to take responsibility or have the know how to go about doing it. Then also the leaders didn't have the patience for the experiments of the group while they tried to figure it out. So they revived up the old machine and got it cranking again because it's all they really knew how to do anymore until the bar is more raised across the level, I think.

Yawn.......

Old 12-15-2015, 02:24 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:

Except not every town can attract wealthy people. NYC is a well known international destination.

Detroit, MI and Buffalo, NY cannot attract wealthy people like NYC.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Call me when East Harlem gets a brick and mortar Starbucks and a Wells Fargo. Or when central Harlem gets a Sephora. That's when you really really know sh** just got real
On the North side of 96th Street there is a Starbucks. Being that 96th Street is the dividing line between East Harlem and the UES, the Northside is East Harlem and they do have a brick and mortar Starbucks. I get your overall point though.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:49 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,897,291 times
Quote:
What is on that spot right now? Is it residential? What will happen to those people living there?

And arent there lots of chinese moving there?
It's a bunch of nothing. Only thing of importance is a library. They need to completely raze the block. Get rid of the gas station across the street.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:03 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,934,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Call me when East Harlem gets a brick and mortar Starbucks and a Wells Fargo. Or when central Harlem gets a Sephora. That's when you really really know sh** just got real
Exactly.

There are a few important developments ....
Let's see.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:22 PM

320 posts, read 283,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Neither could Williamsburg, Bed Stuy and Bushwick 15 years ago. Now it's becoming doe or die Bed Stuy. The best would be seeing a yuppie's face while you try to convince em to move to Jay Z's hometown 15 years ago. At this point, Newark might be the next Prospect Park in 2030 (don't quote me on that, I'm being sarcastic dummy). As for Detroit being a ****hole, I've heard a hipster refugee crisis is brewing over there. Trump is even talking about banning these consumer hating, apple product using hypocrites from motown. If detroit gentrifies you'll see some more stupid irony of this silent movement. Yuppies who work for the big auto offices, who screwed detroit by outsourcing, moving back to detroit because hipsters made it appealing. My logic? What happened to Williamsburg, Bushwick and Doe or die. As for Buffalo, if it does tank(in an ironic way, they love irony "ha ha, of course"), it'll be some douchey micro brewery where the pretentious can gather to critique ****ty obscure beer. "Paps!? Ugghhh, that's so Brooklyn". Thats my impression of them shtting on a borough that they shtt on, were priced out of and either have no decency, or more than likely, self awareness to admit.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spodi90 View Post
Neither could Williamsburg, Bed Stuy and Bushwick 15 years ago. Now it's becoming doe or die Bed Stuy. The best would be seeing a yuppie's face while you try to convince em to move to Jay Z's hometown 15 years ago. At this point, Newark might be the next Prospect Park in 2030 (don't quote me on that, I'm being sarcastic dummy). As for Detroit being a ****hole, I've heard a hipster refugee crisis is brewing over there. Trump is even talking about banning these consumer hating, apple product using hypocrites from motown. If detroit gentrifies you'll see some more stupid irony of this silent movement. Yuppies who work for the big auto offices, who screwed detroit by outsourcing, moving back to detroit because hipsters made it appealing. My logic? What happened to Williamsburg, Bushwick and Doe or die. As for Buffalo, if it does tank(in an ironic way, they love irony "ha ha, of course"), it'll be some douchey micro brewery where the pretentious can gather to critique ****ty obscure beer. "Paps!? Ugghhh, that's so Brooklyn". Thats my impression of them shtting on a borough that they shtt on, were priced out of and either have no decency, or more than likely, self awareness to admit.
Williamsburg, Bushwick, and Bedstuy are parts of NYC and they were 15 years ago. The gentrification of Brooklyn happened as Manhattan grew expensive.

There's 6 hours of mostly rural areas between Buffalo, NY and Detroit is even further.

If you can't see why Buffalo, NY and Detroit, MI are not going to become expensive places to live in then I cannot help you. Most of the US is not known to foreign buyers and tourists. These people are a big reason money flows into a well known international city where people want to go to do business and study. Among other things.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:02 PM

320 posts, read 283,395 times
Quote:
Williamsburg, Bushwick, and Bedstuy are parts of NYC and they were 15 years ago. The gentrification of Brooklyn happened as Manhattan grew expensive.

There's 6 hours of mostly rural areas between Buffalo, NY and Detroit is even further.

If you can't see why Buffalo, NY and Detroit, MI are not going to become expensive places to live in then I cannot help you. Most of the US is not known to foreign buyers and tourists. These people are a big reason money flows into a well known international city where people want to go to do business and study. Among other things.
Great job playing devil's advocate. I can play it too. The gentrification of NY is making the greatest city in the world greatester.

And the 6 hours between the greatester city in the world and Buffalo is prime real estate for citi bikes. One long douchey trail, a quick fact: on the southbound, there's billboards that advertise to "Spread love, it's the Williamsburg way". I hope they put a Piano District somewhere in the Catskills too.

Isnt it GREAT!?

Last edited by Spodi90; 12-15-2015 at 05:28 PM..

Old 12-15-2015, 06:06 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,966,007 times
Quote:
Except not every town can attract wealthy people. NYC is a well known international destination.

Then I guess those places are screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City