Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 09:08 PM

5,147 posts, read 4,980,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Then the families who do not want such a level of rigor are more than welcome to move somewhere else where the standards are easier. There are plenty to choose from. Why move to a district that is almost three quarters east Asian and complain about academics being the singular priority?
do you realize that you have it backwards? I believe that those who protest the Asian tigers were there first to build and establish the excellent and balanced community schools before the tiger children flocked in for the reputation. I am all for hard working and fair competition, but if you had lived in any of the east Asian countries you would appreciate how they take competition to a pathetic subhuman level, and that is what is going on at the spotlighted school due to the flooding FOB Asian parents who brought those toxic mindset and lack of security with them to this country. I am glad that there are parents standing up to the infestation of such pathetic and oportunistic educational drives that overburden the growing minds with excessive school work with a homogenous dream of entering IVY colleges as the primary goal. if I were a parent of that community I will jump in to protest at any time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 09:37 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
do you realize that you have it backwards? I believe that those who protest the Asian tigers were there first to build and establish the excellent and balanced community schools before the tiger children flocked in for the reputation. I am all for hard working and fair competition, but if you had lived in any of the east Asian countries you would appreciate how they take competition to a pathetic subhuman level, and that is what is going on at the spotlighted school due to the flooding FOB Asian parents who brought those toxic mindset and lack of security with them to this country. I am glad that there are parents standing up to the infestation of such pathetic and oportunistic educational drives that overburden the growing minds with excessive school work with a homogenous dream of entering IVY colleges as the primary goal. if I were a parent of that community I will jump in to protest at any time.
Are you implying that it takes a pathetic subhuman effort to excel in school in this country? Growing up in NYC it's was pathetic for someone moderately smart to not do well with the easiness of the school work unless they don't show up or do next to no homework. What makes you think that all Asians are putting in that much effort to excel? There's also video games to attend to you know what I'm saying? You're just hearing these stories from the people who couldn't do well and think that it's a god given right that they have smart kids. You talking about Asian tiger moms is like me watching how hard LeBron James pushes his son in basketball 24/7 and concluding that all black parents do that and that's the only reason they do well. Sure they have all these special basketball camps and even prep schools dedicated to basketball, but for me to even conclude that's the only reason that they dominate the NBA is pretty pathetic. And regarding Asians who flock to good school district, what else do you expect to happen when you start having money, what keep their kids in ghetto schools with zero competition? Contrary to what you might think there's not enough of a concentration of Asians anywhere, but one elementary school in Chinatown, which is top ranked in the state despite the poverty by the way, for them to totally revive the school academically (yes even Flushing is only 70% Asian). And since most of them aren't religious they have no basis to start their own religion themed private schools and setting up a school that factors in race for admissions would be too distasteful, but apparently legal. So I guess they have no choice, but to assimilate with other people of similar economic backgrounds like all Americans.

So by extension of your logic if someone says that you shouldn't try for MLB, where all the top baseball players are if you can't compete with hispanic players, your answer would be wait you have it backwards those that started the MLB have a legitimate right to b*tch and whine when they get out competed? What kind of sour grape BS answer is that? And unlike sports, in academics isn't everyone competing with themselves? If the Asian kids get all As how is that stopping your child from excelling?

Last edited by bumblebyz; 01-02-2016 at 10:51 PM..

Old 01-03-2016, 02:03 AM

666 posts, read 643,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Gotta love liberal USA. Hate the successful and reward the failures. And then one day, people will wonder why the US will go down the drain.
Right Wing USA alright took us down the drain. Lol. Part of a repair effort, perhaps?

Old 01-03-2016, 05:42 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,869,681 times
Quote:
Lol. That part of NJ along with Princeton and Montgomery have long been high pressure/rigor districts so if ever there was a time when academics were easy the kids back then would have graduated a very long time ago. Parents who are terrified with academic pressure should not move there.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:04 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,321,216 times
I'll look to send my kids to a school with a significant Asian student body. Here on the NYC CD forum, they refer to it as the "Asian obsession." Must have something to do with the Asian BRAIN.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'll look to send my kids to a school with a significant Asian student body. Here on the NYC CD forum, they refer to it as the "Asian obsession." Must have something to do with the Asian BRAIN.
I would check to make sure that my stereotype is reasonably correct before I make that decision.

Or to burst your "Asian brain" myth, visit a couple of schools in Flushing and you should quickly realize that a significant % of Asians are average at the best when it comes to schooling and education.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:22 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,883,497 times
Quote:
I would check to make sure that my stereotype is reasonably correct before I make that decision.

Or to burst your "Asian brain" myth, visit a couple of schools in Flushing and you should quickly realize that a significant % of Asians are average at the best when it comes to schooling and education.
Americas entitlement and laziness is contagious. Let's give out participation awards and tell every kid they are special.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:30 AM

8,697 posts, read 11,089,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Gotta love liberal USA. Hate the successful and reward the failures. And then one day, people will wonder why the US will go down the drain.
haha

Old 01-03-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Are you implying that it takes a pathetic subhuman effort to excel in school in this country? Growing up in NYC it's was pathetic for someone moderately smart to not do well with the easiness of the school work unless they don't show up or do next to no homework. What makes you think that all Asians are putting in that much effort to excel? There's also video games to attend to you know what I'm saying? You're just hearing these stories from the people who couldn't do well and think that it's a god given right that they have smart kids. You talking about Asian tiger moms is like me watching how hard LeBron James pushes his son in basketball 24/7 and concluding that all black parents do that and that's the only reason they do well. Sure they have all these special basketball camps and even prep schools dedicated to basketball, but for me to even conclude that's the only reason that they dominate the NBA is pretty pathetic. And regarding Asians who flock to good school district, what else do you expect to happen when you start having money, what keep their kids in ghetto schools with zero competition? Contrary to what you might think there's not enough of a concentration of Asians anywhere, but one elementary school in Chinatown, which is top ranked in the state despite the poverty by the way, for them to totally revive the school academically (yes even Flushing is only 70% Asian). And since most of them aren't religious they have no basis to start their own religion themed private schools and setting up a school that factors in race for admissions would be too distasteful, but apparently legal. So I guess they have no choice, but to assimilate with other people of similar economic backgrounds like all Americans.

So by extension of your logic if someone says that you shouldn't try for MLB, where all the top baseball players are if you can't compete with hispanic players, your answer would be wait you have it backwards those that started the MLB have a legitimate right to b*tch and whine when they get out competed? What kind of sour grape BS answer is that? And unlike sports, in academics isn't everyone competing with themselves? If the Asian kids get all As how is that stopping your child from excelling?

I did not get the point of your long & winning post. Choosing to be overly pushy and oppressive to overstretch your child's potential is an individual choice. But when 50% parents of a community are into that pathetic practice, the competitive pressure is toxic and disruptive to the other 50%. That is called collateral damage on other childrens' academic future. It is ironic that many FOB asian parents tend to complain about the cutting throat competition back in their original country of origin and would like to have their children to live in a more relaxed educational environment. Once they get here, they forgot about their concern and bring with them the mindset and practice they have acquired from their COO. It is not hard to understand that when more of them invade the same school, that competitive pressure will infest and transform a local school culture into the type that they complained about.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:39 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,869,681 times
Quote:
I did not get the point of your long & winning post. Choosing to be overly pushy and oppressive to overstretch your child's potential is an individual choice. But when 50% parents of a community are into that pathetic practice, the competitive pressure is toxic and disruptive to the other 50%. That is called collateral damage on other childrens' academic future. It is ironic that many FOB asian parents tend to complain about the cutting throat competition back in their original country of origin and would like to have their children to live in a more relaxed educational environment. Once they get here, they forgot about their concern and bring with them the mindset and practice they have acquired from their COO. It is not hard to understand that when more of them invade the same school, that competitive pressure will infest and transform a local school culture into the type that they complained about.
Trouble with your argument is that tiger families don't make up 50 percent of the district. They make up closer to 70 to 75 percent. Tough luck on the minority. If they cant hack it out then they are welcome to move to the many other districts where lacrosse and social skills are the higher priority. There are many such districts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City