Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:31 PM

85 posts, read 415,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
I don't think highbridge has any where near more murders than say brownsville, bedstuy and east new york. I will play with those crime stats and post it up pretty soon to put an end to these generalisations.
Yes you are correct if you are speaking of the last 15 years or so. Prior to that, and before crime stats were public info is what I am talking about.

My main point is that the area is still the ghetto, even though it has improved. I don't mean to offend anyone who lives there, but if it walks like a duck...

Highbridge/Morrisania/University Heights/and surrounding areas are currently the highest crime areas in the Bronx today, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 11:00 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1775 View Post
Highbridge/Morrisania/University Heights/and surrounding areas are currently the highest crime areas in the Bronx today, period.
I have to strongly disagree. First the areas you mentioned are not really close to each other so grouping them doesn't make much sense.

Also in general the west Bronx neighborhoods have lower crime rates than the south/central neighborhoods. The only way they come out on top is if you use raw totals. Those neighborhoods in the west have large populations.

My vote for worst has to be:

Hunts Point, E. Tremont, Mott Haven, Melrose, Morrisania and Fordham. Those are the worst I would think.

After that group would come Highbridge/Morris Heights/Uni Heights.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:47 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
my cousins lived in sedgewick houses and they always said "west bronx". is university and 174th highbridge? if not, whats the northern boundary of highbridge?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-08-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
my cousins lived in sedgewick houses and they always said "west bronx". is university and 174th highbridge? if not, whats the northern boundary of highbridge?
The Sedgwick houses are in the beginning of Morris Heights. The northern boundary for Highbridge is the Cross Bronx expressway.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:01 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
ok cool....i like the west bronx, with the big hills and step streets. interesting place.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-08-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
ok cool....i like the west bronx, with the big hills and step streets. interesting place.
Yeah. It was the first part of the Bronx to be annexed and holds the highest population density. But because of that many of the tenements are pre-war and there aren't as many residential houses as you would find in Mott Haven. I barely see townhouses. Check out University Ave......block after block of brown 6 story tenements. Gives it a very ugly/gritty feel. But the river is nearby, so you feel like your on a coastline. The view of Manhattan is great aswell. The only projects on the west side are Highbridge Gardens, Sedgwick houses and River park towers.

IMO, best part of the Bronx to live in.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:35 AM

139 posts, read 924,128 times
highbridge is the westside of the bronx..& the area is 10x safer now then what it was in the 90s(like other neighborhoods)..ogden,jerome,university all calmed down..if anything most of them blocks is like a ghost-town now

Old 02-08-2008, 11:40 AM

139 posts, read 924,128 times
imma have to disagree with that comment as well@highbridge being anywhere near the top in danger zones for bx neighborhoods..the only projects in that area is highbridge houses which is definitely a ghost-town..weather 1 wants to include sedgewick houses in highbridge or another area.that houses is a chill environment as well stuff happens once in a blue moon..i have fam in both houses so i know those particular neighborhoods well.highbridge used to be a heavy drug housing project though

Old 02-08-2008, 11:49 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
I believe Highbridge, Mott Haven, Hunts Point, Melrose, and Southern Morrisania are all considered the true "South Bronx." Yes Hunts Point is the East Bronx, as Highbridge is West, but nonetheless they are not mutually exclusive are do fall under the South Bronx.

The Central Bronx is University Heights up to Fordham, Tremonts/West Farms, Crotona, all neighborhoods that border the CBE. All other neighborhoods are considered North Bronx, including Throggs Neck although it is East central. However, people consider everything South of the Cross Bronx as the South Bronx....which in theory is accurate, but based on Geography, it is not.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-d0g_Bronx View Post
highbridge is the westside of the bronx..& the area is 10x safer now then what it was in the 90s(like other neighborhoods)..ogden,jerome,university all calmed down..if anything most of them blocks is like a ghost-town now
Yeah I noticed. I live on University and in the winter you see barely anybody out. Around my way Andrews is pretty hot. In the summer though, University is packed, absolutely packed with people. In front of buildings, corners etc..It still is ghetto but I agree it's not what it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City