Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2016, 01:29 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,551,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I'm not a fan of tutoring or test prep, and would prefer a city in which a kid who attends school and does their homework can have the chance to attend a good high school and get into college. I'd rather that my kids have time to take classes or participate in sports--basically pursue whatever outside activities interest them. School plus homework is enough school in my opinion.
That's reasonable for good high schools and good colleges, but I don't think one should expect to get into the best high schools and colleges without doing "extra", particularly when there are so many other kids that ARE willing to put in the additional effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 01:33 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
From what I can recall doesn't your son have a special condition? So his experience is not the typical experience.

The typical successful candidate is one which has always excelled academically and then studies for the exam either with or without external help. The same holds true for undergraduate studies.

And last I check Asians are the top performers in all state exams in all grades. So this too many Asians getting into specialized high school issue is not a blip on the academic radar. If anything, if the percentage of other minorities doesn't reflect this that means that there is definitely some sort of quota which there isn't with the specialized high schools since it's a 100% transparent process. In general doing well in the SHSAT is not a one time event though there certainly are exceptions, but they will eventually get flushed out of the high achieving academic system.

Upper middle class and "progressive" (read "regressive") whites in the city are too busy spending their energies together trying to sabotage charter schools that are successfully teaching black and Hispanic minorities to notice that Asian minorities, as a group, are beating everyone period.

Tongue in cheek. Slightly.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:45 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Upper middle class and "progressive" (read "regressive") whites in the city are too busy spending their energies together trying to sabotage charter schools that are successfully teaching black and Hispanic minorities to notice that Asian minorities, as a group, are beating everyone period.

Tongue in cheek. Slightly.
That whole anti-charter school movement is unreal. I neither benefit nor are their success a detriment to me so I usually stand clear when the union teachers start commenting on this forum. But how could anyone be so selfish to be against schools that are actually helping these kids in poor areas when it takes nothing away from anyone else other than the union and their workers who's number one priority should be the education of students. It's like doctors protesting against a cure-all pill.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:08 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,187 times
Quote:
From my understanding there were implicit racial quotas at one point in those schools not sure when. Then the white people got pissed off and turned the test into law. Of course that was before there was a sizable Asian population here causing this too many Asians doing well issue. And besides everything is harder nowadays. From what I understand even getting into one of the four top CUNYs is hard now. Buying a decent home is hard due to the cost vs income ratio. White people getting into the NBA is harder than it was due to competition. Getting a decent paying job is hard. In my profession I have to constantly keep up to date or else I'll be obselete in 5-10 years, if I need to interview for a new high paying position between work and kids I need to prep for weeks due to the difficult technical questions. Trying becoming a police officer or a fireman and look at how long you have to wait. Once the $15 min wage is set for fast food workers that's going to be hard too, so if you have kids you can cross those summer jobs from the list cause all the poor adults will be fighting for them in a few years. And the last thing I want to also have to worry about is a racial quota on my kids. I think it's because everyone is going for these same things and with the internet everything is more transparent so people know the process. Well at least that, plus less opportunities for getting paid well in blue collar jobs.
I never heard of quotas, but the test was in effect the time I was referring to, so it was by score not race. I knew it was harder to get into the top CUNYs, but is it actually considered hard? Does anyone know the SAT / grade point average expected? I'm fine if my kids go to CUNY. I'd like for neither them nor us be in debt from college.

Rather than which college my kids attend, I am more concerned with what they study. So expensive to go through college and find you can't get a job, or that it's not what you expected...I think it's much harder now to go back to school and decide to do something different.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
That's reasonable for good high schools and good colleges, but I don't think one should expect to get into the best high schools and colleges without doing "extra", particularly when there are so many other kids that ARE willing to put in the additional effort.
I guess if all my friends had gone to "the best" universities, I would feel that to be a necessity for my kids. Most people I know went to CUNY or state school, or other decent but less prestigious private schools. The one person I knew well that was an Ivy grad (that I can think of right now - an ex boyfriend) was really obnoxious about it. He felt that the degree was like a smart badge on his chest! Columbia law -- and then after all that money he decided he didn't want to be a lawyer!

As far as the "best" high schools--it's a little more complicated because there are so many bad ones! But there are also more good ones than I had expected (besides specialized).

Old 03-08-2016, 02:34 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,883,065 times
The concept of everyone receiving a participation award and living in a politically correct world is rather recent trend. The US economy does not need a large labor force given technology advancements in productivity. We are moving into another gilded age in which a select few will have ownership over the means of production. It will be up to the government to step in and provide balance.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:42 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
You will not be able to solve the academic divide across races if you do not address the past. Since ancient times, Asians and more specifically Chinese have been taught that the path to prosperity for a poor person is through test taking (civil services examination system). Many poor Asians will devote all their resources for their kids to succeed in taking exams. In addition, the impact on this country's war on drugs are still being felt in the Hispanic and Black community.

Many of this elite schools are overrated being as life is not always about test taking and individuality. Many of the kids who attend this elite schools struggle once they leave the academic field, because many lack the social skills to work in a team environment and struggle to develop a network.
And the language skills. Which pops up at weird times. For instance at a meeting a super educated Asian with two Masters and a college degree was in a technical meeting. All at once they were talking about a project name for the IT Project and one staff person holds up a picture of a Rhinoceros. And asked the Asian what they thought, a bunch of folks staring she says some weird word. Then says weird word again and says she likes it.

The staff goes to boss, so Rhino is a good project name, she goes what. He goes you know Rhinoceros the animal you are looking at. She then goes I did not know American word.

At that point 20 years of higher education went out the window as Rhino is something a three year old knows.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
The concept of everyone receiving a participation award and living in a politically correct world is rather recent trend. The US economy does not need a large labor force given technology advancements in productivity. We are moving into another gilded age in which a select few will have ownership over the means of production. It will be up to the government to step in and provide balance.
You have to do something that cannot be outsourced or sent overseas. And you have to do something with a significant barrier to entry. You can't just go to school, study anything, and automatically expect to make a good living. I would still like to think that universities should provide their students with the tools to analyze the world around them and better interpret the past and the future. I don't want to say that school is only a means to an end, but the practical part is more important now than in the past.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:46 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,396 times
Quote:
That whole anti-charter school movement is unreal. I neither benefit nor are their success a detriment to me so I usually stand clear when the union teachers start commenting on this forum. But how could anyone be so selfish to be against schools that are actually helping these kids in poor areas when it takes nothing away from anyone else other than the union and their workers who's number one priority should be the education of students. It's like doctors protesting against a cure-all pill.
The Bronx High School of Science the best Public School in Bronx which is mainly Black and Hispanic is now all Asian. Unless the best Public School in Hong Kong is mainly Black and Hispanic something is wrong.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:47 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I never heard of quotas, but the test was in effect the time I was referring to, so it was by score not race. I knew it was harder to get into the top CUNYs, but is it actually considered hard? Does anyone know the SAT / grade point average expected? I'm fine if my kids go to CUNY. I'd like for neither them nor us be in debt from college.

Rather than which college my kids attend, I am more concerned with what they study. So expensive to go through college and find you can't get a job, or that it's not what you expected...I think it's much harder now to go back to school and decide to do something different.
You can probably google the rest. Below is Baruch. In the 90s I believe for the top CUNYs avg SATs were in the 1000s. 1200s was NYU level, 1100s was top SUNYs, many top private schools were in the 1300s.

Baruch: SAT score of 1220 (Math & Critical Reading), an ACT score of 26 and an average GPA of 87%.

Freshmen Applicants - Baruch College Undergraduate Admissions

But your son goes to stuy as long as he keeps it up most kids prob can hit 1300/1600 and above. Just follow what every one else does and he'll be fine.

Regarding what to study you'll have to figure that out. But if he's good in math and wants to do engineering then just google for schools that are good for those fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City