Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2016, 09:06 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Asians makes up a large percentage of the world's population. Not sure how thrilled I would be with Asians succeeding at colonizing the world. Humans are tribal people.
What? So you don't want people looking like your wife walking all over the earth? Lol in all seriousness I don't see that happening. I really don't think there's any stomach for colonization and the killings that come along with it. Call it cultural or whatever, but even when China had to chance to colonize africa they didn't. All they did was trade with them. There is however a push to advance themselves and that could result in economic colonization which is what the US has done and the British before us inaddition to the actual colonization that was done of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 09:08 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
You never said such a thing, but you would largely agree with the reasons that they do well without questioning individual circumstances. Hence making you a silent supporter. And everyone has their own biases, and you need to notice how you only think Asian H1Bs work hard 6 days a week. The lower pay thing might have been one of the main reasons thay they were hired to begin with so no surprises there. Lots of whites work hard to achieve successful careers. I've seen white woman go home sick and are back home dialing into calls and telling people what to do 15mins later. So much for stereotypes about woman. If anything working hard is a characteristic of all self made successful people.

Regarding your husband good for him and his family. Hope they can advance the breakdown of stereotypes against blacks.
I was addressing generalities--I never said that no whites work hard, but in my company, the H1B visa holders tended to work longer hours. In general, people tend to work longer hours in many Asian countries than we do in the US, and Europeans tend to work less hours than we do. Again, these are general statements and no they do not address individual circumstances or imply that all people in all countries fit these tendencies.

The educational system in Asia tends to create certain cultural behavior that immigrants tend to bring with them when they come to the US. Mentioning these generalities, which are facts in general terms, does not indicate bias. Maybe it would indicate a bias if I assumed that these generalities applied to any one individual, such as yourself. But I did not.

However, you did take a generality and assume it applied to the individual -- assuming my husband or his family had some sort of relation to or stake in professional sports. This is a much stronger indication of an inherent bias that you should face in yourself imho.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:25 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I was addressing generalities--I never said that no whites work hard, but in my company, the H1B visa holders tended to work longer hours. In general, people tend to work longer hours in many Asian countries than we do in the US, and Europeans tend to work less hours than we do. Again, these are general statements and no they do not address individual circumstances or imply that all people in all countries fit these tendencies.

The educational system in Asia tends to create certain cultural behavior that immigrants tend to bring with them when they come to the US. Mentioning these generalities, which are facts in general terms, does not indicate bias. Maybe it would indicate a bias if I assumed that these generalities applied to any one individual, such as yourself. But I did not.

However, you did take a generality and assume it applied to the individual -- assuming my husband or his family had some sort of relation to or stake in professional sports. This is a much stronger indication of an inherent bias that you should face in yourself imho.
A lot of these generalities didn't apply to many Asians that I grew up with. Obviously we all have some sort of tunnel vision. Maybe because when I grew up in the 80s/90s few had the chance to go through this vigorous academic system. Most of my friends' parents were peasants and my dad did pig farming and didn't finish second grade cause I was told they were too poor. But did they wanted me to do well in school of course they did. My dad worked in a chinese restaurant in CT and my mom was working in a sweat shop which i also worked in. For school there was nothing that they could have done to help me for obvious reasons. And I will spend what ever amount necessary on extra curricular activities to make sure that doesn't happen to my kids now that I have the knowledge.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 03-10-2016 at 09:38 AM..

Old 03-10-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
A lot of these generalities didn't apply to many Asians that I grew up with. Obviously we all have some sort of tunnel vision. Maybe because when I grew up in the 80s/90s few had the chance to go through this vigorous academic system. Most of my friends' parents were peasants and my dad did pig farming and didn't finish second grade cause I was told they were too poor. But did they wanted me to do well in school of course they did. But there was nothing that they could have done to help me for obvious reasons.
Yes, that is inspiring. My father was the son of peasant farmers in Romania whose parents had similar educational attainment. He became an engineer. I can relate but can't guess or assume your individual circumstances.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:58 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
You never said such a thing, but you would largely agree with the reasons that they do well without questioning individual circumstances. Hence making you a silent supporter. And everyone has their own biases, and you need to notice how you only think Asian H1Bs work hard 6 days a week. The lower pay thing might have been one of the main reasons thay they were hired to begin with so no surprises there. Lots of whites work hard to achieve successful careers. I've seen white woman go home sick and are back home dialing into calls and telling people what to do 15mins later. So much for stereotypes about woman. If anything working hard is a characteristic of all self made successful people.

Regarding your husband good for him and his family. Hope they can advance the breakdown of stereotypes against blacks.
It's not really their JOB to breakdown the stereotypes against Blacks. It's the job of others to check their own internal biases and stop hiding behind collectivism. Racism is a dumb form of collectivism.

Whether or not this group or that group has the most people scoring high on the SAT is irrelevant. What is more important is how the INDIVIDUAL person can score on the SAT and other metrics used to determine university admission, and on other metrics that have influence on someone's career.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:58 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,654,372 times
Quote:
Only speaking of generalities, I don't think anyone (maybe except you?) denies that Asian immigrants generally push their children harder academically than Americans. Of course general and specific are two different things - it doesn't mean that this applies to you or your parents, or any one person in particular. As for personal experiences, I worked with many Asian immigrants for many years, have an ex who works in a well-known academy in Flushing, and have a good friend in China who has talked a lot about the subject.
You probably misunderstood. Many Asian immigrants think American K-12 education is insufficient or sub-standard. It may look "push" in your eyes, they are filling the gap in their point of view. I live in Bensonhurst and have many Asian immigrant families around me. A neighbor once said, "Look at my son's 5th grade math homework, I did that when I was a 3rd grader in Hong Kong." A Chinese mom may say this to her kids, "There is an "Asian good at school" stereotype, just live up to it. Otherwise, you will stand out in a bad way." They may have a different mindset than yours. Can Blacks and Hispanics follow their footsteps? I don't know. Something cannot be easily cloned.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Last I heard the Jews were able to meet all the admissions criteria in the early 1900s, and guess what they did, they changed the admissions criteria just to c**kblock the Jews. I guess it was thought that all they were good at was taking exams. But it was only a matter of time before they gave up.
Jewish people also moved up socioeconomically and I know many Jewish people who pay for their children's IVY LEAGUE education in CASH.

Of course the Ivies will never let themselves be mostly poor immigrants. They are rich kids schools, regardless of race. What is so hard to understand about that? They want to further expand their endowments. They are not in the CHARITY business, nor are their major donors.

Mind you those Asians who can pay in cash are well represented at the Ivy League. Money talks. Stop trying to say all Asians have the same circumstances or means or chances in life!

You do Asians in general a huge disservice by trying to avoid dealing with socioeconomic differences within the population.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Money matters, but I think you're underestimating the role that race plays in college admissions. Are you really saying that there's no advantage to being an underrepresented minority, or that there's no disadvantage to being an overrepresented minority?
There is no advantage to being an underrepresented minority in regards to applying to elite universities. I'm Black. How much financial aid did I get for grad school? NONE. I paid for it in CASH. The only thing I could have done differently was take out student loans. I'm a straight A student.

I have not seen any evidence that underrepresented minority status makes it easier to gain admission to top universities or get financial aid. These things are HARD to do for everyone.

The entire point of top universities is to be mostly wealthy people, so for obvious reasons they are going to mostly let in well to do with with GOOD academic backgrounds. There's no reason for them to allow underrepresented people in who aren't prepared, because the university will get nothing from it. They need to either let in wealthy people and/or people who show evidence of exceptional talent (these people will be able to donate to the university and their success will be a part of the university's brand).

Re: Asians, there are plenty of WEALTHY ASIANS and ASIAN AMERICANS in the Ivy League. The Ivy League is not the welfare office or the charity organization, so of course they are not going to let in lots of poor people even if they have perfect SAT scores. Why is this hard to understand?

People go to the Ivy League precisely because they know it's a good place to network with RICH people.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There is no advantage to being an underrepresented minority in regards to applying to elite universities. I'm Black. How much financial aid did I get for grad school? NONE. I paid for it in CASH. The only thing I could have done differently was take out student loans. I'm a straight A student.

I have not seen any evidence that underrepresented minority status makes it easier to gain admission to top universities or get financial aid. These things are HARD to do for everyone.
My son applied and was accepted to several Catholic schools here and in Westchester, including Fordham Prep. All of the schools he applied to had a limited number of merit-based scholarships, but no, no school had race-based scholarship money! This is the assumption of many people, including a good friend of mine who really couldn't believe my son didn't get offered full tuition! All these schools have income-based financial aid, insufficient from my experience.

It's my understanding that the situation is the same at the university level.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:37 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,600,138 times
Quote:
My son applied and was accepted to several Catholic schools here and in Westchester, including Fordham Prep. All ordf the schools he applied to had a limited number of merit-based scholarships, but no, no school had race-based scholarship money! This is the assumption of many people, including a good friend of mine who really couldn't believe my son didn't get offered full tuition! All these schools have income-based financial aid, insufficient from my experience.

It's my understanding that the situation is the same at the university level.
If your black or Hispanic the assumption is we got everything paid for. I worked my way thru college as a messenger and it took me 6 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City