Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2016, 06:34 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,630,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Trust me there are tons of whites that work hard. It's just that they are in the business side making a lot more money.

As for integration it's not even all about race. Parents try everything within their means to get their kids into schools that had students that traditionally performed better. Segregation is just a byproduct, but that is definitely not always the case. You should know too, the actions of you and your son did exactly that. But since you're an underrepresented minority it's not viewed that way.
No, I'm white. My husband is black and my kids are mixed (seen as black by society).

I have a lot of white friends who are also parents here, and they seem to expect their kids to do well in school, and complete homework and assignments. Maybe some prep for a specific test like the SHSAT, but that's it. None of my friends seem to push their kids in the way that many Asian parents do. My friends (and me) focus much more on extracurricular and enrichment activities. It's general, but pretty accurate.

But we are also generally pretty savvy about the system. In my opinion, this is a necessity in New York if you want your kids to do well.

I do think desegregation would be a big step forward! Separate has proven not to be equal here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 06:39 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You guys accuse Blacks of making excuses, when it seems like you are full of excuses yourselves.

Any Asian with the ability to sufficiently write checks (and who has the sufficient academic and work history background) is going to have no problem getting into a top school.

So poor people know they likely won't be accepted? Wow, is this a surprise? LOL You need to preface your statement you will tell your POOR ASIAN friends. The wealthy ones can get in. Or you guys can stop whining.

Here is Shaan Patel. Indian American. He got a perfect score on the SAT. Perfect. And found himself rejected at every Ivy (he had motel Indian parents). So he got into UCLA, got his bachelor's and entered medical school. He started his own SAT tutoring company. His company expanded and he became interested in business. So decided he wanted to get an Ivy League MBA. He got accepted into YALE.

Indian American SAT Expert Shaan Patel Wins $250K Investment on

Shaan Patel

He has said Yale has been instrumental in helping his business grow. Patel proved himself an EXCEPTIONAL CANDIDATE by ANYONE's STANDARDS. Of course he got into YALE's MBA program. It's rather obvious why Yale admitted him.
So when they add a height requirement I guess it will also be Asian's fault for not eating enough? The reality is the criteria is a moving target detrimental to Asians. Today it's this tomorrow will be a whole new set of criterias if too many Asians qualify. I think in 50yrs they'll run out of criterias to filter Asians.

There's a good solution to this, nameless race blind admissions process. Unless it is all about race.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 03-10-2016 at 06:47 AM..

Old 03-10-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
No, I'm white. My husband is black and my kids are mixed (seen as black by society).

I have a lot of white friends who are also parents here, and they seem to expect their kids to do well in school, and complete homework and assignments. Maybe some prep for a specific test like the SHSAT, but that's it. None of my friends seem to push their kids in the way that many Asian parents do. My friends (and me) focus much more on extracurricular and enrichment activities. It's general, but pretty accurate.

But we are generally pretty savvy about the system. In my opinion, this is a necessity in New York if you want your kids to do well.

I do think desegregation would be a big step forward! Separate has proven not to be equal here.
How do you know that's not what Asian parents do? It's like me thinking that all black kids do is practice basketball all day 24/7 and that's the only reason they dominate the NBA. My parents didn't even do that much cause they were around much.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:49 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
So when they add a height requirement I guess it will also be Asian's fault for not eating enough? The reality is the criteria is a moving target detrimental to Asians. Today it's this tomorrow will be a whole new set of criterias if too many Asians qualify. I think in 50yrs they'll run out of criterias to filter Asians.
It's not about too many Asians qualifying.

The Ivy League was always meant for the wealthiest people. Before the GI bill there was little to no financial aid, so people who went to the Ivy League wrote checks. There was no pretense in being for poor people. Post WW2 veterans, if they were accepted could go to the Ivy League and the government paid for it. In the 60s the government created more financial aid programs.

But unless you are a GI the government will not fully cover the cost of you going to an expensive private university. So unless you want to borrow $80k a year or so to attend an Ivy, you need to have well off parents (a few people will get grants and get to go to an Ivy for free but this is a small percentage).

If you can't understand the economic issues at play I see why you didn't get into a top university. You may have had high test scores but no critical thinking abilities.

The network at Ivy and Stanford is attractive if it is full of rich people. Not poor smart people, but rich people that one can network in. Therefore these schools will find ways of limiting the percentage of poor people that can even be in, because you want to have people from wealthy backgrounds in your elite institution to make networking overall viable.

Back to the young man I mentioned, Patel when he was rejected did not whine about discrimination against Asians. He got into UCLA, made his own company and got accepted into Yale University. He accepted what you don't want to accept, the discrimination is SOCIOECONOMIC.

He realized he needed to make himself into an EXCEPTIONAL, well ROUNDED candidate. Opening up a SAT tutor company and managing it well showed his talent.

Simply scoring high doesn't mean crap.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
How do you know that's not what Asian parents do? It's like me thinking that all black kids do is practice basketball all day 24/7 and that's the only reason they dominate the NBA. My parents didn't even do that much cause they were around much.
Only speaking of generalities, I don't think anyone (maybe except you?) denies that Asian immigrants generally push their children harder academically than Americans. Of course general and specific are two different things - it doesn't mean that this applies to you or your parents, or any one person in particular. As for personal experiences, I worked with many Asian immigrants for many years, have an ex who works in a well-known academy in Flushing, and have a good friend in China who has talked a lot about the subject.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Only speaking of generalities, I don't think anyone (maybe except you?) denies that Asian immigrants generally push their children harder academically than Americans. Of course general and specific are two different things - it doesn't mean that this applies to you or your parents, or any one person in particular. As for personal experiences, I worked with many Asians for many years, have an ex who works in a well-known academy in Flushing, and have a good friend in China.
I don't think anyone except Asians think that way. After all there has to be explanations if you're non-Asian for why they do better academically than other groups. Just like how blacks excel in athletics.

And its not all Asians by the way it mainly East Asians and Indians. In 50s and 60s East Asians in Malaysia did too well in that country both in business and academically. That led to strict race quotas in all govt jobs and school to the benefit of the natives who should have had overwhelming advantage to begin with, and East Asians by law had to give away a large percentage of businesses that they own. And even that was not enough there were violent race riots against East Asians that eventually led to the Chinese being shoved into a piece of swamp land that is now known as Singapore.

If you think it's all about tiger moms then that must be it. Now if only there's a tiger mom book on how they push their kids to dominate in business. O wait they don't in this country so no one would subscribe to that stereotype. If however Asians ever get to the level of Jews in this country everyone will be saying its all because tiger moms raise their kids to dominate in business. Its all part of the subtle racism in this country. Just like how blacks are seen more as a threat by cops than whites when it all depends on the individual.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 03-10-2016 at 07:17 AM..

Old 03-10-2016, 07:11 AM

436 posts, read 564,972 times
I've already mentioned this but Ivy League schools have done a good job leveraging their image to get even more money. They're really schools for the "elite" and well-to-do of society but have enticed all kinds of people with their branding ("the smartest students"). Ivy League schools have very very good undergraduate financial aid for less well-off people but they know that not a ton of qualified lower-income people will apply anyway. Yes, there are endowments but it's almost a wash.

Edit:

Heck, my old university recently decided it's going to cut need-blind admission for international students.

http://cornellsun.com/2016/02/12/pro...eed-blind-aid/

Last edited by Glacier Azure; 03-10-2016 at 07:21 AM..

Old 03-10-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's not about too many Asians qualifying.

The Ivy League was always meant for the wealthiest people. Before the GI bill there was little to no financial aid, so people who went to the Ivy League wrote checks. There was no pretense in being for poor people. Post WW2 veterans, if they were accepted could go to the Ivy League and the government paid for it. In the 60s the government created more financial aid programs.

But unless you are a GI the government will not fully cover the cost of you going to an expensive private university. So unless you want to borrow $80k a year or so to attend an Ivy, you need to have well off parents (a few people will get grants and get to go to an Ivy for free but this is a small percentage).

If you can't understand the economic issues at play I see why you didn't get into a top university. You may have had high test scores but no critical thinking abilities.

The network at Ivy and Stanford is attractive if it is full of rich people. Not poor smart people, but rich people that one can network in. Therefore these schools will find ways of limiting the percentage of poor people that can even be in, because you want to have people from wealthy backgrounds in your elite institution to make networking overall viable.

Back to the young man I mentioned, Patel when he was rejected did not whine about discrimination against Asians. He got into UCLA, made his own company and got accepted into Yale University. He accepted what you don't want to accept, the discrimination is SOCIOECONOMIC.

He realized he needed to make himself into an EXCEPTIONAL, well ROUNDED candidate. Opening up a SAT tutor company and managing it well showed his talent.

Simply scoring high doesn't mean crap.
Last I heard the Jews were able to meet all the admissions criteria in the early 1900s, and guess what they did, they changed the admissions criteria just to c**kblock the Jews. I guess it was thought that all they were good at was taking exams. But it was only a matter of time before they gave up.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
I don't think anyone except Asians think that way. After all there has to be explanations if you're non-Asian for why they do better academically than other groups. Just like how blacks excel in athletics.

And its not all Asians by the way it mainly East Asians and Indians. In 50s and 60s East Asians in Malaysia did too well in that country both in business and academically. That led to strict race quotas in all govt jobs and school to the benefit of the natives who should have had overwhelming advantage to begin with, and East Asians by law had to give away a large percentage of businesses that they own. And even that was not enough there were violent race riots against East Asians that eventually led to the Chinese being shoved into a piece of swamp land that is now known as Singapore.

If you think it's all about tiger moms then that must be it. Now if only there's a tiger mom book on how they push their kids to dominate in business. O wait they don't in this country so no one would subscribe to that stereotype. If however Asians ever get to the level of Jews in this country everyone will be saying its all because tiger moms raise their kids to dominate in business. Its all part of the subtle racism in this country. Just like how blacks are seen more as a threat by cops than whites when it all depends on the individual.
This is your fixation, not mine. I'm not getting into a discussion of inherent intellectual superiority/inferiority among races.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
This is your fixation, not mine. I'm not getting into a discussion of inherent intellectual superiority/inferiority among races.
Then don't get into fixations with your own bias due to Asians doing well academically. I'm sure you and your husband would be pissed if they start adding new criterias in professional sports that have nothing to do with sports. I would view it as racist, but perhaps many whites won't just like many non-Asians don't find anything wrong with Asian implicit quotas which I totally understand. Every one is just trying everything they can to better themselves and if it comes at the detriment of any group but themselves so what. This is why non-blacks don't give a damn about stop and frisk. Everyone knew that it came at the detriment of some innocent people, but at the end of the day if it advanced everyone else's perceived safety so what.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 03-10-2016 at 07:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City