Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2016, 07:36 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times

Advertisements

New plan for the state to pay for tutoring programs in NYC schools - and perhaps change the G&T program so its more evenly distributed:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2557700

I'm ok with this - at least its not a subjective handy-wavy proposal where you get into the school based on writing a sob story essay or what some random teacher says about you. Give the kids the tools to do well on an objective test by making the information to pass the test, and the tutoring for it, more freely available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 07:38 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
It has far more to do with green than anything else
Then why do such a high percentage of the students who get into the specialized schools qualify for reduced/free lunches based on their parents income? Money makes it easier, but it is not dispositive.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:56 AM

95 posts, read 94,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If you can write sufficient checks there is no racial quota on your children.
This is not accurate. There are more than enough people on Earth are able and willing to pay for Harvard or Yale admission. The top few universities can still pick and choose with their "undisclosed" guidelines and requirements.

Back to SHSAT, after browsing though some math sample tests, I found it is basic and straight forward. Tricky problem is very rare. If students feel those are difficult, they really need to study harder. Google "Hong Kong Maths tests" or "Singapore maths exams" to see for yourself.

You may attempt this medium difficulty 5th grade problems from Singapore.
John’s mother is thrice his age. 11 years from now, his mother’s age will be twice that of his. How old is his mother?

Old 03-09-2016, 08:03 AM

259 posts, read 268,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Many of this elite schools are overrated being as life is not always about test taking and individuality. Many of the kids who attend this elite schools struggle once they leave the academic field, because many lack the social skills to work in a team environment and struggle to develop a network.
Perhaps true in a few cases, but for the majority of students it's the exact opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Do you have any data to back this up? The friends that I grew up with are now Directors and VPs at Fortune 500 companies, Ivy League trained physicians, consultants, and lawyers.

Check out LinkedIn and see what Asian-American alumni from Stuyvesant, Bronx Science and Brooklyn Tech are actually doing.
Pretty much all of my friends and classmates from our specialized high school are exactly this.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good at Math View Post
This is not accurate. There are more than enough people on Earth are able and willing to pay for Harvard or Yale admission. The top few universities can still pick and choose with their "undisclosed" guidelines and requirements.

Back to SHSAT, after browsing though some math sample tests, I found it is basic and straight forward. Tricky problem is very rare. If students feel those are difficult, they really need to study harder. Google "Hong Kong Maths tests" or "Singapore maths exams" to see for yourself.

You may attempt this medium difficulty 5th grade problems from Singapore.
John’s mother is thrice his age. 11 years from now, his mother’s age will be twice that of his. How old is his mother?
M=Mom
J=John

M=3J
M+11=2J

Mom=33
John=11

Old 03-09-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeynutcocopuffs View Post
M=Mom
J=John

M=3J
M+11=2J

Mom=33
John=11
You are correct. But, how many middle school kids can handle simultaneous equations with 2 variables like you. In Singapore, many 5th graders can solve this before learning any algebra. Math education in Asia are a few levels above ours.

If this "elementary problem" is in SHSAT, how many can answer correctly and efficiently?

Last edited by Good at Math; 03-09-2016 at 08:47 AM..

Old 03-09-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeynutcocopuffs View Post
M=Mom
J=John

M=3J
M+11=2J

Mom=33
John=11
After a second look, you are not entirely correct. It should be

M=3J
M+11=2(J+11)

M=33

Last edited by Good at Math; 03-09-2016 at 08:49 AM..

Old 03-09-2016, 08:53 AM

5,134 posts, read 4,976,546 times
Quote:
You are correct. But, how many middle school kids can handle simultaneous equations with 2 variables like you. In Singapore, many 5th graders can solve this before learning any algebra. Asian's math education are a few levels above ours.

If this "elementary problem" is in SHSAT, how many can answer correctly and efficiently?
that is why and how I feel frustrated when I tutor my son math problems. I recall that a lot of the questions that appeared easy and fun to me would be beyond him at the same grade level here in the usa. and worse, he has no desire or motivation to learn the skills that I tried to pass on to him because what he knows is way above his grade average and he is content with that. so I give up home tutoring even though I feel that one day he will wake up to the reality that his math level is way behind his Asian peers.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
After a second look, you are not entirely correct. It should be

M=3J
M+11=2(J+11)

M=33
You're right -- I didn't translate it well.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:35 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,552,412 times
Quote:
You are correct. But, how many middle school kids can handle simultaneous equations with 2 variables like you. In Singapore, many 5th graders can solve this before learning any algebra. Math education in Asia are a few levels above ours.

I guess it depends on what you believe should be the purpose of the test. If the test is supposed to identify "the cream of the crop", then wouldn't you expect that most students wouldn't be able to answer all of the questions? If all of the students taking the exam WERE able to solve a system of equations, then you would need to add problems that are even MORE difficult in order to get the separation that you need.

If everyone can answer 95% of the questions correctly, then how useful is the exam?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City