Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2016, 02:49 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,060,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
The Bronx High School of Science the best Public School in Bronx which is mainly Black and Hispanic is now all Asian. Unless the best Public School in Hong Kong is mainly Black and Hispanic something is wrong.
SandyJet/DelightfulRacistNYC Go back to Great Neck, LI where you grew up white supremacist. Oh wait you can't cause there's too many Asians there now. Duh! Unless the riches nab in Asia is all whites it's not fair...get me a wammbulance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 02:54 PM

32,133 posts, read 27,363,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I never heard of quotas, but the test was in effect the time I was referring to, so it was by score not race. I knew it was harder to get into the top CUNYs, but is it actually considered hard? Does anyone know the SAT / grade point average expected? I'm fine if my kids go to CUNY. I'd like for neither them nor us be in debt from college.

Rather than which college my kids attend, I am more concerned with what they study. So expensive to go through college and find you can't get a job, or that it's not what you expected...I think it's much harder now to go back to school and decide to do something different.

From what one recalls of the 1980's if you were a graduate of a NYC pubic high school (and maybe private, not sure), you were guaranteed admission to CUNY. Whether you went to a senior/four year college versus community depended upon your high school average. *Think* you had to have an "80" or above for the four year colleges, if not you got sent to a community. There were no SAT or ACT requirements IIRC, but not totally sure.

Students filled out one application and listed choices, where you went again depended upon grades first, then I guess choice. Unless looking for a specific program most kids I knew that went to community colleges chose based on location.

Once you were accepted into CUNY everyone took the math and English placement exams. That determined if you were able to go directly into college level classes or had to take remedial first.

This IIRC grew out of the "open admissions" policy which some blame on dragging the once great CUNY senior colleges (if not the whole system) down into the gutter.

Given the uneven academic nature of gradates of NYC public high schools from the 1980's through 1990's you often had incoming freshmen to the top four year colleges (City, Hunter, Brooklyn....) that were dumb as dirt. Despite having the "80" or whatever high school average something like >65% of those incoming freshmen required remediation, often extensive before they could even take 100 level classes. A good number of such students after spending one, two or more semesters taking such work got bored and or discouraged then dropped out. Meanwhile they wasted tons of TAP and BEOG/Pell money that was part of financial aid packages. Oh and some took out loans, lots of loans (they were easier to get then), and were now stuck with that debt.

Things got so bad for CUNY the previous chancellor (Mr. Goldstein) laid down the law. City high schools were told to pull up their socks and produce college ready graduates or they were *NOT* getting into a senior CUNY college. This is when you started to see SAT and other exam scores introduced.

City College, the Faded Jewel of CUNY, Is Recovering Its Luster and Its Achievers - NYTimes.com

Study Details CUNY Successes From Open-Admissions Policy - NYTimes.com

[CORRECTED] The CUNY Problem: How a Public College Gives up on the Public by Daniel Luzer | College Guide | The Washington Monthly

Third Rail :: CUNY Chancellor Raises SAT Math Admission Scores to CSI & CUNY

The Atlantic

Old 03-08-2016, 02:56 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,377,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
SandyJet/DelightfulRacistNYC Go back to Great Neck, LI where you grew up white supremacist. Oh way you can't cause there's too many Asians there now. Duh!
I don't think Persian Jews would be white supremacists either. Great Neck has been wasp for quite some time now.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:56 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,652,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
You can probably google the rest. Below is Baruch. In the 90s I believe for the top CUNYs avg SATs were in the 1000s. 1200s was NYU level, 1100s was top SUNYs, many top private schools were in the 1300s.

Baruch: SAT score of 1220 (Math & Critical Reading), an ACT score of 26 and an average GPA of 87%.

Freshmen Applicants - Baruch College Undergraduate Admissions

But your son goes to stuy as long as he keeps it up most kids prob can hit 1300/1600 and above. Just follow what every one else does and he'll be fine.

Regarding what to study you'll have to figure that out. But if he's good in math and wants to do engineering then just google for schools that are good for those fields.
No, he didn't put down Stuy - he goes to one close to us (in the Bronx). I'm sure he'll do well on the SAT, but worry about the GPA, so far it's nothing to write home about and his only A has been in math. He has no idea what he'd like to study yet (but is only a freshman).

Bugsy--I'll read the links you put up - thanks.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:00 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,880,256 times
Quote:
And the language skills. Which pops up at weird times. For instance at a meeting a super educated Asian with two Masters and a college degree was in a technical meeting. All at once they were talking about a project name for the IT Project and one staff person holds up a picture of a Rhinoceros. And asked the Asian what they thought, a bunch of folks staring she says some weird word. Then says weird word again and says she likes it.

The staff goes to boss, so Rhino is a good project name, she goes what. He goes you know Rhinoceros the animal you are looking at. She then goes I did not know American word.

At that point 20 years of higher education went out the window as Rhino is something a three year old knows.
OK so there is one english noun she didn't know. Can anyone at that project table speak or read her first language let alone hold a job in her birth country? Especially a high paying tech position that it seems she has.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:00 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,060,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I don't think Persian Jews would be white supremacists either. Great Neck has been wasp for quite some time now.
He's not Jewish, he grew up there like 40-50 years ago. Now Great Neck is all Asians and Jews so he can't go back. He probably can't get his knee pads out any faster in front of Jews so he can't criticize them.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
And the language skills. Which pops up at weird times. For instance at a meeting a super educated Asian with two Masters and a college degree was in a technical meeting. All at once they were talking about a project name for the IT Project and one staff person holds up a picture of a Rhinoceros. And asked the Asian what they thought, a bunch of folks staring she says some weird word. Then says weird word again and says she likes it.

The staff goes to boss, so Rhino is a good project name, she goes what. He goes you know Rhinoceros the animal you are looking at. She then goes I did not know American word.

At that point 20 years of higher education went out the window as Rhino is something a three year old knows.
I was wondering how many languages you know how to say Rhinoceros in?

It's much harder to retain little-used vocabulary in a second language. Your statement shows that you have little knowledge about the subject.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:27 PM

32,133 posts, read 27,363,904 times
Quote:
I never heard of quotas, but the test was in effect the time I was referring to, so it was by score not race. I knew it was harder to get into the top CUNYs, but is it actually considered hard? Does anyone know the SAT / grade point average expected? I'm fine if my kids go to CUNY. I'd like for neither them nor us be in debt from college.

Rather than which college my kids attend, I am more concerned with what they study. So expensive to go through college and find you can't get a job, or that it's not what you expected...I think it's much harder now to go back to school and decide to do something different.

Some things about applying to CUNY are the same as back in the day. Others have changed so it is wise to start researching in junior HS year about which senior college one wants for first, second, or third choice *and* any particular major. From there you have to research what the individual college requires along with other particulars.

It all starts with the master CUNY application (that bit is the same), where one indicates among other things six choices of colleges. Undergraduate Admissions – The City University of New York

Now that CUNY has tightened up their act the senior colleges are proving attractive options for many high school graduates. Not just those from middle to below class families that cannot afford private, but really many upper middle and above who realize the value of doing some or all undergraduate study at CUNY (where it is cheaper), then transferring to finish. That and or doing undergraduate at CUNY but going for post-grad elsewhere.

For many majors it really does not make sense to go into debt. Nursing is one where it really doesn't matter if you graduate from say NYU or Hunter. Yes, certain private colleges perhaps will give one a leg up, but not always. If one qualifies for NYC resident/in state tuition at CUNY it can shave thousands of higher education costs.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Some things about applying to CUNY are the same as back in the day. Others have changed so it is wise to start researching in junior HS year about which senior college one wants for first, second, or third choice *and* any particular major. From there you have to research what the individual college requires along with other particulars.

It all starts with the master CUNY application (that bit is the same), where one indicates among other things six choices of colleges. Undergraduate Admissions – The City University of New York

Now that CUNY has tightened up their act the senior colleges are proving attractive options for many high school graduates. Not just those from middle to below class families that cannot afford private, but really many upper middle and above who realize the value of doing some or all undergraduate study at CUNY (where it is cheaper), then transferring to finish. That and or doing undergraduate at CUNY but going for post-grad elsewhere.

For many majors it really does not make sense to go into debt. Nursing is one where it really doesn't matter if you graduate from say NYU or Hunter. Yes, certain private colleges perhaps will give one a leg up, but not always. If one qualifies for NYC resident/in state tuition at CUNY it can shave thousands of higher education costs.
I went to both City College and Hunter, and never worried about being accepted. The good old days...

Old 03-08-2016, 07:43 PM

95 posts, read 95,178 times
Quote:
I really think it used to not be as competitive in the past, even though there were less schools. My husband and his sister both got into specialized schools in the 80s without studying (2 relatively poor kids from Harlem). I wonder if it was even common to study for the test at that time.
Welcome to the era of globalization. Kids used to compete only locally, now everthing is on global scale. Many Asian immigrant kids come with stronger math skill because they had rigorous elementary math education in Asia. Black and Hispanic students may not perform worse than before, but much higher Asian performances make them look bad. This is the reality no matter you like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City