Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 08:50 AM

106,740 posts, read 108,937,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
If a jury can be persuaded that police were justified in shooting at a man 41 times and killing him for merely pulling out his wallet (Amadou Diallo), this can be a cakewalk for any defense attorney given the circumstances. Not saying that the cop in this case was right or wrong in doing so as we dont know the full details, but it won't be a hard case for his attorney to prove that the officer feared for his life in that instance from a man who turned out to be a violent career criminal with a long rap sheet.

I've seen police walk free in cases where they were blatantly guilty!
i guess you have not seen a wallet holster . they are quite common with bad guys . damn straight , i would have shot too had some one pulled a wallet looking object out .

https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&pag...llet%20Holster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 08:52 AM

106,740 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
In this situation you had the time to think and assess. The officer in question may not have had that.
that is in correct . in these situations you have no time , you never know what the next step is once the confrontation is underway . you are dealing in fractions of a second responses .

Old 07-05-2016, 08:58 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,584,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
Any civilian would go to jail in the same circumstance but because this is an NYPD officer he will go free. Why would there be a civil suit against the officer he was off duty? Yet I know he ill be go free for being an officer.
Anyways for louie0406 comments that he had priors doesn't mean anything how would anyone know if anyone has priors that doesn't justify anyone one killing someone. Any officer around the world for example in the UK diffuse armed perps all the time without killing them but of course this is the US.
Yet I have almost punched people trying to run me over and I have no priors yet I should be shot and killed according to louie0406?
I'm not saying that he deserved to die BECAUSE of his past. What I'm saying is, his vast criminal past proves that he was prone to criminal behavior and it will be used to assassinate his character when this case goes to court.

In my opinion, the city is a better place without such a person who decided it was ok to drive intoxicated with your family and child in your vehicle, then exit your vehicle to assault another person who you felt cut you off.

You play dangerous games you win dangerous prizes.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:02 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,584,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
that is in correct . in these situations you have no time , you never know what the next step is once the confrontation is underway . you are dealing in fractions of a second responses .
You said yourself that the man had no weapon in hand but threatened that he had one in his bag and would present it if you didn't hand over what he wanted. So yes, you had time to assess if he was bluffing or not. You had time to run or not. You had the time to take his threat serious and hit him with that log to protect your wife and yourself or not. You even had the time to wait to see if he went for his bag that supposedly had this weapon or not and if he did, you could have attacked him before he was able to retrieve that weapon.

What if this officer was blindsided by this guy and had no time to figure out if the man had a weapon or not while at the same time being attacked?

Old 07-05-2016, 09:03 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,263,607 times
I guess didn't know he was intoxicated, but there should be more repercussions when deciding to take a life.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:03 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,753,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
this is a real life situation i posted here back in 2010 that happened to me .

i had a confrontation with someone in ally pond park who kept saying i was going to find out what was in his back pack if i didn't hand my camera over .

my wife was screaming about 20 ft away and he went for her which gave me time to grab a log i picked up a log . . running through my mind was do i wait for him to make the first move or do i club him .

good or bad i held back clubbing him and he took off . i can't imagine what the out come would have been if i was carrying .

posted back in 2010 here .
I would have clocked the hell out of him with the log. Knock him out then simply walk away.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:05 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,392,721 times
I don't know who is right. However you never ever step out of your car. It's just not worth it.
I tried to pass someone once on a two lane single yellow line road. As I tried to pass, he moves over to "push" me off the road. I back off, and we come to a stop light. I am insanely mad at this point. I leap out of my car with my preg want wife screaming and crying for me not to. I run up to his car and start pounding his side window, he was so frightened he drops his bagel. His buddy however (big muscle guy) hops out passenger side and come around quick. I was ready to swing on him, but he diffused me by saying "hey buddy, I'm off duty fdny, my friend is stupid. You don't want to do this!" I yelled some more, but didn't swing (thank goodness). And you know what? I shook the off duty ff hand.
What happend to me could have been horribly different. I was very lucky that day. I let my anger get the best of me, because some clown did something really stupid, that in reality I should have let go.
Let it go, always. Family is more important than machismo

Old 07-05-2016, 09:14 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,562 times
I'm a believer that if someone starts a fight, then you are justified in retaliating. Sounds like the victim had a major anger problem, and all his jail time had not changed him at all. If not this incident, he was spending a lifetime asking for trouble.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:47 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
With NYC's strict gun laws I don't think it's fair that an off-duty cop opens fire. Because if you get into a fight without knowing the guy is a cop you wouldn't expect to be shot. He has an unfair advantage.

We should get rid of these gun laws so everyone knows not to get into a fight or risk being shot by someone on defense.

This is what will happen if the country passes stricter gun laws that only cops have guns.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:53 AM

416 posts, read 248,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
With NYC's strict gun laws I don't think it's fair that an off-duty cop opens fire. Because if you get into a fight without knowing the guy is a cop you wouldn't expect to be shot. He has an unfair advantage.

We should get rid of these gun laws so everyone knows not to get into a fight or risk being shot by someone on defense.

This is what will happen if the country passes stricter gun laws that only cops have guns.
That sounds like a dilemma. Deregulate gun laws and possibly become the wild west or the middle east. Make laws stricter and have trigger happy cops kill everyone. I think the solution is to build robot cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City